Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Flavor Infusion Pitcher

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 21:01:27 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> (I was in BB&B to check out the Cuisinart ice cream makers.
> I may take the plunge this year, so I can make LC ice cream.)

They're great.... as long as you have room in your freezer! I
discovered the first time around that you need to let it sit there for
more than the recommended 24 hours (if that's the kind you want to
buy). It doesn't deplete the bank to buy the unit and it's not hard
to make the ice cream base... what's hard for me is finding room in a
packed refrigerator freezer to freeze the bowl.

If you decide to buy one (and actually use it), here's my favorite
gelato recipe

Chocolate Gelato
By: sf

1 cup (extra fine) sugar
2 cups whole milk
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
4 oz bar of bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghiradelli - so aim for 60%)
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten

1. In a saucepan, warm 1 cup of milk with the sugar over moderate heat
until bubbles form around the sides, stirring occasionally.

2. Whisk together the egg yolks in a bowl and gradually pour in the
warmed milk/sugar, whisking as you pour. (If you made chunky custard,
strain and pour back into the pan).

3. Cook over low to moderate heat, stirring constantly, scraping the
bottom and sides until the custard thickens enough to coat a spatula.

4. Coarsely chop the bittersweet chocolate and stir into the hot
custard mixture. Stir until smooth.

5. In another saucepan, warm the other cup of milk and whisk in the
cocoa powder. Bring almost to a boil over moderate heat. Remove.

6. Whisk the chocolate mixture into the custard a little at a time.

Mix well. Chill thoroughly.

Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Makes about 3 cups