Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Flavor Infusion Pitcher

I'm seeing more and more of these things, like this one from Bed,
Bath, and Beyond

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=207214

being advertised, and I like the concept, but I'm wondering how well
they work. Anybody have any experience with this?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-11, Alan Holbrook > wrote:

> being advertised, and I like the concept, but I'm wondering how well
> they work. Anybody have any experience with this?

Yeah. You put tea in water to make tea. You put fruit in water to
make fruity water. Finally, you add ice cubes to water to make the
water cold. I suspect mankind has been doing much the same thing for
many millenia, and without the help of a gimmicky overpriced piece of
junk that costs $30. I personally have been doing it all my life with
nothing more than a plain ol' continer of some sort, typically a
plastic water pitcher costing about one dollar at yer local dollar
store. Why, jes this very instant I have ice cubes in a glass of
water without a plastic "ice core". Hard to believe, but true!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2013 9:40 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-03-11, Alan Holbrook > wrote:
>
>> being advertised, and I like the concept, but I'm wondering how well
>> they work. Anybody have any experience with this?

> Yeah. You put tea in water to make tea. You put fruit in water to
> make fruity water. Finally, you add ice cubes to water to make the
> water cold. I suspect mankind has been doing much the same thing for
> many millenia, and without the help of a gimmicky overpriced piece of
> junk that costs $30. I personally have been doing it all my life with
> nothing more than a plain ol' continer of some sort, typically a
> plastic water pitcher costing about one dollar at yer local dollar
> store. Why, jes this very instant I have ice cubes in a glass of
> water without a plastic "ice core". Hard to believe, but true!
>
> nb

I was once given a glass pitcher with an "ice core", ostensibly for iced
tea or lemonade. The core itself screwed onto a plastic snap-on lid. I
couldn't see the point. Not only did it take up half the room in the
pitcher, you could only fit a three or four ice cubes in it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 03:47:07 -0500, Alan Holbrook >
wrote:

> I'm seeing more and more of these things, like this one from Bed,
> Bath, and Beyond
>
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=207214
>
> being advertised, and I like the concept, but I'm wondering how well
> they work. Anybody have any experience with this?

I knew what it was before I even looked. Why on earth do you want to
waste your money on that thing?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 09:21:06 -0500, jay > wrote:

> In article >,
> Alan Holbrook > wrote:
>
> > I'm seeing more and more of these things, like this one from Bed,
> > Bath, and Beyond
> >
> > http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=207214
> >
> > being advertised, and I like the concept, but I'm wondering how well
> > they work. Anybody have any experience with this?

> I see absolutely zero use for it in my kitchen. What would you do with
> it? A infuser ball seems way easier and is much cheaper.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Large-Ju...user-Stainless
> /dp/B004X4LGIO

Plus they're good for other things. I use my largest tea ball to hold
the herbs of a bouquet garni, so I don't have to tie anything up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2013 11:23 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 03:47:07 -0500, Alan Holbrook >
> wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing more and more of these things, like this one from Bed,
>> Bath, and Beyond
>>
>> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=207214
>>
>> being advertised, and I like the concept, but I'm wondering how well
>> they work. Anybody have any experience with this?

> I knew what it was before I even looked. Why on earth do you want to
> waste your money on that thing?

Some people apparently like to waste money. That's why so many of these
gadgets sell. I don't understand it, myself.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2013 11:26 AM, sf wrote:

> Plus they're good for other things. I use my largest tea ball to hold
> the herbs of a bouquet garni, so I don't have to tie anything up.

+1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:47:28 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Some people apparently like to waste money. That's why so many of these
> gadgets sell. I don't understand it, myself.

I look at them and think they are mainly gifts people give when they
can't think of anything better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2013 2:07 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:47:28 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Some people apparently like to waste money. That's why so many of these
>> gadgets sell. I don't understand it, myself.

> I look at them and think they are mainly gifts people give when they
> can't think of anything better.

That's how I wound up with something similar years back.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 11, 2013 2:35:12 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/11/2013 2:07 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:47:28 -0400, jmcquown >

> > wrote:

> >> Some people apparently like to waste money. That's why so many of these

> >> gadgets sell. I don't understand it, myself.

> > I look at them and think they are mainly gifts people give when they

> > can't think of anything better.

> That's how I wound up with something similar years back.
>

> Jill

VD?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in
:

> On 3/11/2013 2:07 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:47:28 -0400, jmcquown

>> wrote:
>>
>>> Some people apparently like to waste money. That's why so

many of
>>> these gadgets sell. I don't understand it, myself.

>> I look at them and think they are mainly gifts people give when

they
>> can't think of anything better.
>>

> That's how I wound up with something similar years back.
>
> Jill

MiGawd! Finally a topic on RFC where _EVERYBODY_ agreed and
_NOBODY_ called anybody names! OK, thanks, I think I can resist
the urge after reading the replies. Besides, there's a liquor
store next to my local BB&B, and $29.95 will buy a couple of
bottles of low end rotgut.

And maybe I'll still stop in to the BB&B and price out giant
infuser balls...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 13:59:55 -0500, Alan Holbrook >
wrote:

> MiGawd! Finally a topic on RFC where _EVERYBODY_ agreed and
> _NOBODY_ called anybody names! OK, thanks, I think I can resist
> the urge after reading the replies. Besides, there's a liquor
> store next to my local BB&B, and $29.95 will buy a couple of
> bottles of low end rotgut.
>
> And maybe I'll still stop in to the BB&B and price out giant
> infuser balls...

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Infused waters are delicious, but I don't see the need for any special
equipment. Just add your flavorings to a pitcher of ice water and cool.

Try any combination of:

sliced cucumbers

mint

fruit -- lemon, lime, any other citrus, berries, peaches, watermelon,
whatever you have

pineapple and mint -- I tried this recently at a fancy-fancy spa. It was
nice and refreshing. -- sweet, tart, and herbal.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I'm seeing more and more of these things, like this one from Bed,
>Bath, and Beyond
>
>http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=207214
>
>being advertised, and I like the concept, but I'm wondering how well
>they work. Anybody have any experience with this?

I've not had any experience with one but sure would like one. I like
the spill proof feature and the infusers are a great idea. I've
infused teas, water and seltzer with fruits and or herbs; the inserts
would sure make it easier. Summer is coming on and that will be very
handy, not to mention how nice it would look on the patio table.

koko looking for her 20% of BB&B coupon
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 03:47:07 -0500, Alan Holbrook >
> wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing more and more of these things, like this one from Bed,
>> Bath, and Beyond

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=207214

>> being advertised, and I like the concept, but I'm wondering how well
>> they work. Anybody have any experience with this?

> I've not had any experience with one but sure would like one. I like
> the spill proof feature and the infusers are a great idea. I've
> infused teas, water and seltzer with fruits and or herbs; the inserts
> would sure make it easier. Summer is coming on and that will be very
> handy, not to mention how nice it would look on the patio table.
>

> koko looking for her 20% of BB&B coupon
> --
> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
> James Beard
>
> www.kokoscornerblog.com

I saw that at BB&B just yesterday. Tapped it. It's made of
plastic, in case you care.

--
Jean B.
PRACTICING LUDDITE

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 21:13:11 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 03:47:07 -0500, Alan Holbrook >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm seeing more and more of these things, like this one from Bed,
>>> Bath, and Beyond
>>>
>>> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=207214
>>>
>>> being advertised, and I like the concept, but I'm wondering how well
>>> they work. Anybody have any experience with this?

>> I've not had any experience with one but sure would like one. I like
>> the spill proof feature and the infusers are a great idea. I've
>> infused teas, water and seltzer with fruits and or herbs; the inserts
>> would sure make it easier. Summer is coming on and that will be very
>> handy, not to mention how nice it would look on the patio table.
>>

>> koko looking for her 20% of BB&B coupon
>> --
>> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
>> James Beard
>>
>> www.kokoscornerblog.com
>>

>I saw that at BB&B just yesterday. Tapped it. It's made of
>plastic, in case you care.

Thank you for pointing that out. It's BPA free and stain free so
that's good.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=207214

>>> I've not had any experience with one but sure would like one. I like
>>> the spill proof feature and the infusers are a great idea. I've
>>> infused teas, water and seltzer with fruits and or herbs; the inserts
>>> would sure make it easier. Summer is coming on and that will be very
>>> handy, not to mention how nice it would look on the patio table.
>>>

>>> koko looking for her 20% of BB&B coupon
>>> --
>>> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
>>> James Beard
>>>
>>> www.kokoscornerblog.com
>>>

>> I saw that at BB&B just yesterday. Tapped it. It's made of
>> plastic, in case you care.

> Thank you for pointing that out. It's BPA free and stain free so
> that's good.
>
> koko
> --

Yes, that aspect IS good. I didn't think it would benefit me
much. (I was in BB&B to check out the Cuisinart ice cream makers.
I may take the plunge this year, so I can make LC ice cream.)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 21:01:27 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> (I was in BB&B to check out the Cuisinart ice cream makers.
> I may take the plunge this year, so I can make LC ice cream.)

They're great.... as long as you have room in your freezer! I
discovered the first time around that you need to let it sit there for
more than the recommended 24 hours (if that's the kind you want to
buy). It doesn't deplete the bank to buy the unit and it's not hard
to make the ice cream base... what's hard for me is finding room in a
packed refrigerator freezer to freeze the bowl.

If you decide to buy one (and actually use it), here's my favorite
gelato recipe

Chocolate Gelato
By: sf

1 cup (extra fine) sugar
2 cups whole milk
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
4 oz bar of bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghiradelli - so aim for 60%)
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten

1. In a saucepan, warm 1 cup of milk with the sugar over moderate heat
until bubbles form around the sides, stirring occasionally.

2. Whisk together the egg yolks in a bowl and gradually pour in the
warmed milk/sugar, whisking as you pour. (If you made chunky custard,
strain and pour back into the pan).

3. Cook over low to moderate heat, stirring constantly, scraping the
bottom and sides until the custard thickens enough to coat a spatula.

4. Coarsely chop the bittersweet chocolate and stir into the hot
custard mixture. Stir until smooth.

5. In another saucepan, warm the other cup of milk and whisk in the
cocoa powder. Bring almost to a boil over moderate heat. Remove.

6. Whisk the chocolate mixture into the custard a little at a time.

Mix well. Chill thoroughly.

Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Makes about 3 cups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2013 10:24 PM, sf wrote:

> Chocolate Gelato
> By: sf
>
> 1 cup (extra fine) sugar
> 2 cups whole milk
> 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
> 4 oz bar of bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghiradelli - so aim for 60%)
> 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
>
> 1. In a saucepan, warm 1 cup of milk with the sugar over moderate heat
> until bubbles form around the sides, stirring occasionally.
>
> 2. Whisk together the egg yolks in a bowl and gradually pour in the
> warmed milk/sugar, whisking as you pour. (If you made chunky custard,
> strain and pour back into the pan).
>
> 3. Cook over low to moderate heat, stirring constantly, scraping the
> bottom and sides until the custard thickens enough to coat a spatula.
>
> 4. Coarsely chop the bittersweet chocolate and stir into the hot
> custard mixture. Stir until smooth.
>
> 5. In another saucepan, warm the other cup of milk and whisk in the
> cocoa powder. Bring almost to a boil over moderate heat. Remove.
>
> 6. Whisk the chocolate mixture into the custard a little at a time.
>
> Mix well. Chill thoroughly.
>
> Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
>
> Makes about 3 cups

Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to make this.

I made lemon Italian ice, but it is all gone. I used 5 cups of water, 1
1/2 cups lemon juice, lemon zest, a tiny pinch of salt and Splenda. I
mixed it well, heated it to boiling and simmered it for a minute or two,
chilled it, then poured the mixture into a baking dish, then into the
freezer. I used a fork to stir/scrape it every 30 minutes until it was
frozen. Then, I put it in the food processor until it was nice and
smooth, then back into the freezer packaged into individual serving
sizes. It was so good, but this Chocolate Gelato recipe has my mouth
watering.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 10:55:53 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to make this.

You're very welcome!

> I made lemon Italian ice, but it is all gone. I used 5 cups of water, 1
> 1/2 cups lemon juice, lemon zest, a tiny pinch of salt and Splenda. I
> mixed it well, heated it to boiling and simmered it for a minute or two,
> chilled it, then poured the mixture into a baking dish, then into the
> freezer. I used a fork to stir/scrape it every 30 minutes until it was
> frozen. Then, I put it in the food processor until it was nice and
> smooth, then back into the freezer packaged into individual serving
> sizes. It was so good, but this Chocolate Gelato recipe has my mouth
> watering.

And thank you for the Lemon Ice recipe.