Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 6 Latin food trends for 2013

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013022410344415056-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-02-24 17:32:57 +0000, sf said:
>
>> Remember, trending doesn't mean it's unknown.
>> http://nbclatino.com/2013/01/03/6-la...ends-for-2013/

> Certainly not, it means it's been around long enough that one can see it
> trending upward from previously (known) levels.
>
> This one I find interesting:
>
>> Expect to see the most mainstream products-think potato chips, Cheetos...

> The "Flamin' Hot" Cheetos have become so popular over the past 5+ years
> here in SoCal that it is not infrequent that I see displays that don't
> even have regular Cheetos. Natably Santa Ana has a 65% hispanic
> population.

Those seem to sell out quite quickly here. Winco has a lot of Latino foods
and they carry some chips and snack foods that other stores don't.

> Yesterday, at Ranch 99, an Asian chain supermarket I noted only the
> "Flamin' Hot" and some kind of "super" or "extra" Flamin' Hot variety as
> well as "Chester's Flamin' Hot Flavored Fries", which looks pretty much
> like Flamin' Hot.
>
> I like some heat in my snacks, but this "Flamin' Hot" stuff tastes really
> bad to my mind. For hot snacks I like to go to Indian markets ("Sweets and
> Spices" places) that make their own heat-crunch stuff.

I don't really get the flavors of the chips. I did eat BBQ chips once and
thought they were really good. Now I think I must have been super hungry
because I really do not like them. Mostly when chips are flavored they
leave a weird coating on your tongue. I don't like that.