Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 6 Latin food trends for 2013

Remember, trending doesn't mean it's unknown.
http://nbclatino.com/2013/01/03/6-la...ends-for-2013/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-02-24 17:32:57 +0000, sf said:

> Remember, trending doesn't mean it's unknown.
> http://nbclatino.com/2013/01/03/6-la...ends-for-2013/

Certainly not, it means it's been around long enough that one can see
it trending upward from previously (known) levels.

This one I find interesting:

> Expect to see the most mainstream products€”think potato chips, Cheetos...

The "Flamin' Hot" Cheetos have become so popular over the past 5+ years
here in SoCal that it is not infrequent that I see displays that don't
even have regular Cheetos. Natably Santa Ana has a 65% hispanic
population.

Yesterday, at Ranch 99, an Asian chain supermarket I noted only the
"Flamin' Hot" and some kind of "super" or "extra" Flamin' Hot variety
as well as "Chester's Flamin' Hot Flavored Fries", which looks pretty
much like Flamin' Hot.

I like some heat in my snacks, but this "Flamin' Hot" stuff tastes
really bad to my mind. For hot snacks I like to go to Indian markets
("Sweets and Spices" places) that make their own heat-crunch stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:34:44 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> On 2013-02-24 17:32:57 +0000, sf said:
>
> > Remember, trending doesn't mean it's unknown.
> > http://nbclatino.com/2013/01/03/6-la...ends-for-2013/

> Certainly not, it means it's been around long enough that one can see
> it trending upward from previously (known) levels.
>
> This one I find interesting:
>
> > Expect to see the most mainstream products—think potato chips, Cheetos...

> The "Flamin' Hot" Cheetos have become so popular over the past 5+ years
> here in SoCal that it is not infrequent that I see displays that don't
> even have regular Cheetos. Natably Santa Ana has a 65% hispanic
> population.
>
> Yesterday, at Ranch 99, an Asian chain supermarket I noted only the
> "Flamin' Hot" and some kind of "super" or "extra" Flamin' Hot variety
> as well as "Chester's Flamin' Hot Flavored Fries", which looks pretty
> much like Flamin' Hot.

I don't cruise the snack aisle, so I don't notice things like that;
but I would think hot cheetos would be trending down by this time,
because it seemed like every kid in school had it in their lunch bag
at least once a week 10-15 years ago.

> I like some heat in my snacks, but this "Flamin' Hot" stuff tastes
> really bad to my mind. For hot snacks I like to go to Indian markets
> ("Sweets and Spices" places) that make their own heat-crunch stuff.

I don't buy prepopped popcorn, but Costco had a popcorn booth set up
with samples the last time I was there. I tried every one of them and
none had any heat. Since we could mix and match, I bought some (3
bags, my choice of flavor).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Remember, trending doesn't mean it's unknown.
> http://nbclatino.com/2013/01/03/6-la...ends-for-2013/
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

I love Tapas! Had it first in Washington DC. Can't remember the name of
the restaurant. We sat outside and ate. Also found a wonderful little hole
in the wall Spanish place with super good food.

We do have a Tapas place here that comes highly rated but it's horridly
expensive. And it isn't a fancy place. Odd that many people here don't
know what Tapas is! They go there and although they love the food, they are
disappointed with the small portions and if they are young people they often
can't afford to get more than a couple of plates because they *are* so
expensive. We might try it this summer. They have outdoor seating. Might
be nice just to stop by for a snack. But oddly enough they had stuff like
hummus on the menu as well. The owner of this place also owns some Greek
places.

I only tried Nopales once. In a salsa. It was a very expensive little dish
and I was disappointed in it. Didn't have much flavor at all. I guess I
had expected it to taste spicy or something. And it didn't. Just kind of
slimy. But perhaps they didn't do it right? The restaurant I got it at
does get high ratings from some people but we beg to differ. My mom always
thought she loved the place but her memory is going. My brother got into a
heated argument in there once when they charged us for refills on our soft
drinks after he asked them to bring pitchers. We had a very large party and
he thought he was making it easier on them by asking them to do this.
Especially since the service there is very slow and they were not good at
refilling the drinks or the chips or the salsa. And the last time we dined
there, there was a hair in our appetizer. They did take it away but didn't
take it off of our bill and wouldn't. They also had beans so runny that
they were akin to the Hytop canned ones. Very bland flavor to the foods,
IMO and very overpriced. So for all I know, maybe they didn't make the
salsa right.

I have seen Chorizo on many different menus. I've never tried it. I'm not
much of a meat lover and especially not sausage. Once in a while I'll eat
it at home to remind myself why I don't like it. Heh! Or in a restaurant
only if I'm not overly hungry and there seems to be nothing else that I want
to order. Because you can get it as a side dish.

I have seen lots of unusual tacos at various places but usually not at
Mexican restaurants. Fish tacos seem to be more and more common and you
never know exactly what you'll get because there is so much variation to
them. Sometimes the fish is breaded, sometimes not. Then we saw the ad on
TV for putting fish sticks in taco shells. Yes, we did try it. Will we be
doing that again. Nope. But it did use up the box of fish sticks that I
had in the freezer.

As for the chips and popcorn thing, that seems to have been going on for a
while. I do like the lime potato chips but I don't like potato chips well
enough to ever finish a bag. Once in a while I will find one of those
"single serve" bags. But then of course I'm not usually in the mood for
chips. Heh. Mostly I prefer my chips plain. And always plain popcorn
although caramel corn is good. I just don't like any other flavors of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013022410344415056-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-02-24 17:32:57 +0000, sf said:
>
>> Remember, trending doesn't mean it's unknown.
>> http://nbclatino.com/2013/01/03/6-la...ends-for-2013/

> Certainly not, it means it's been around long enough that one can see it
> trending upward from previously (known) levels.
>
> This one I find interesting:
>
>> Expect to see the most mainstream products-think potato chips, Cheetos...

> The "Flamin' Hot" Cheetos have become so popular over the past 5+ years
> here in SoCal that it is not infrequent that I see displays that don't
> even have regular Cheetos. Natably Santa Ana has a 65% hispanic
> population.

Those seem to sell out quite quickly here. Winco has a lot of Latino foods
and they carry some chips and snack foods that other stores don't.

> Yesterday, at Ranch 99, an Asian chain supermarket I noted only the
> "Flamin' Hot" and some kind of "super" or "extra" Flamin' Hot variety as
> well as "Chester's Flamin' Hot Flavored Fries", which looks pretty much
> like Flamin' Hot.
>
> I like some heat in my snacks, but this "Flamin' Hot" stuff tastes really
> bad to my mind. For hot snacks I like to go to Indian markets ("Sweets and
> Spices" places) that make their own heat-crunch stuff.

I don't really get the flavors of the chips. I did eat BBQ chips once and
thought they were really good. Now I think I must have been super hungry
because I really do not like them. Mostly when chips are flavored they
leave a weird coating on your tongue. I don't like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 22:19:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I don't really get the flavors of the chips. I did eat BBQ chips once and
> thought they were really good. Now I think I must have been super hungry
> because I really do not like them. Mostly when chips are flavored they
> leave a weird coating on your tongue. I don't like that.

I don't eat snack foods, but hubby has been buying the Olive Oil chips
from Trader Joe's and I have to admit that they are really good.