Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default Turducken is NOTHING compared to this!

Victor Sack wrote:
> Jean B. > wrote:
>
> [snippage throughout]
>
>> Paging through Venus in the Kitchen or Love's Cookery Book by
>> Pilaff Bey (pseudonym of Norman Douglas), I came across the
>> following: Rôti Sans Pareil. Going from the smallest item to the
>> largest, we have

> [snip]
>> This was apparently an abbreviated form of a recipe that was in
>> A. T. Raimbault's Le Parfait Cuisinier (1814). Douglas points out
>> some problems, like the impossibility of stuffing larger birds
>> into smaller ones (e.g., stuffing a lapwing into a plover).

> [snip]
>
> I am sure you have read "South Wind through the Kitchen" by Elizabeth
> David, which is included in the "Omelette and a Glass of Wine". There,
> she makes it clear that Douglas, in his book, never suggests that he
> regards the recipes he includes as anything more than a jovial
> diversion.
>
> Victor

Sounds like time to read that book again. I will order it in a
few moments. But... I sure didn't see that recipe as anything
that was going to be cooked. In fact, there was only ONE recipe
in the book that I thought looked possibly worth cooking.

Okay, I just ordered it.... For that matter, I may have it here.
Somewhere.