Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Turducken is NOTHING compared to this!

Paging through Venus in the Kitchen or Love's Cookery Book by
Pilaff Bey (pseudonym of Norman Douglas), I came across the
following: Rôti Sans Pareil. Going from the smallest item to the
largest, we have

a large olive stuffed with a paste of anchovies, capers and oil;
a trussed and boned garden warbler;
a fat ortolan;
a boned lark;
a boned thrush;
a fat quail;
a boned lapwing;
a boned golden plover;
a fat, boned, red-legged partridge;
a young, boned, well-hung woodcock rolled in crumbs;
a boned teal;
a boned, well-larded guinea-fowl;
a young, boned, tame duck;
a boned, fat fowl; a well-hung pheasant5;
a boned, fat, wild goose;
a fine turkey; and
a boned bustard.
This was apparently an abbreviated form of a recipe that was in
A. T. Raimbault's Le Parfait Cuisinier (1814). Douglas points out
some problems, like the impossibility of stuffing larger birds
into smaller ones (e.g., stuffing a lapwing into a plover). You
can compare Douglas's rendition with that on page 92 of
Raimbault's book via goog1e, assuming you can read French:

<http://books.google.com/books?id=rtNqrNGoXEwC&printsec=frontcover&source=g bs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false>

or

http://tinyurl.com/b5beend

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 18, 3:49*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Paging through Venus in the Kitchen or Love's Cookery Book by
> Pilaff Bey (pseudonym of Norman Douglas), I came across the
> following: *Rôti Sans Pareil. *Going from the smallest item to the
> largest, we have
>
> a large olive stuffed with a paste of anchovies, capers and oil;
> a trussed and boned garden warbler;
> a fat ortolan;
> a boned lark;
> a boned thrush;
> a fat quail;
> a boned lapwing;
> a boned golden plover;
> a fat, boned, red-legged partridge;
> a young, boned, well-hung woodcock rolled in crumbs;
> a boned teal;
> a boned, well-larded guinea-fowl;
> a young, boned, tame duck;
> a boned, fat fowl; a well-hung pheasant5;
> a boned, fat, wild goose;
> a fine turkey; and
> a boned bustard.
> * *This was apparently an abbreviated form of a recipe that was in
> A. T. Raimbault's Le Parfait Cuisinier (1814). *Douglas points out
> some problems, like the impossibility of stuffing larger birds
> into smaller ones (e.g., stuffing a lapwing into a plover). *You
> can compare Douglas's rendition with that on page 92 of
> Raimbault's book via goog1e, assuming you can read French:
>
> <http://books.google.com/books?id=rtNqrNGoXEwC&printsec=frontcover&sou...>
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/b5beend

LOL- I have that book also! One of the lines cracks me up- a well hung
woodcock??
I wonder if all of those birds are still around.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2013 6:49 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> Paging through Venus in the Kitchen or Love's Cookery Book by Pilaff Bey
> (pseudonym of Norman Douglas), I came across the following: Rôti Sans
> Pareil. Going from the smallest item to the largest, we have
>
> a large olive stuffed with a paste of anchovies, capers and oil;
> a trussed and boned garden warbler;
> a fat ortolan;
> a boned lark;
> a boned thrush;
> a fat quail;
> a boned lapwing;
> a boned golden plover;
> a fat, boned, red-legged partridge;
> a young, boned, well-hung woodcock rolled in crumbs;
> a boned teal;
> a boned, well-larded guinea-fowl;
> a young, boned, tame duck;
> a boned, fat fowl; a well-hung pheasant;
> a boned, fat, wild goose;
> a fine turkey; and
> a boned bustard.
> This was apparently an abbreviated form of a recipe that was in A. T.
> Raimbault's Le Parfait Cuisinier (1814). Douglas points out some
> problems, like the impossibility of stuffing larger birds into smaller
> ones (e.g., stuffing a lapwing into a plover). You can compare
> Douglas's rendition with that on page 92 of Raimbault's book via goog1e,
> assuming you can read French:
>
> <http://books.google.com/books?id=rtNqrNGoXEwC&printsec=frontcover&source=g bs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false>
>

> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/b5beend

Was this some sort of festival dish? How many people were they cooking for?

Jill <---will just watch the garden warblers, thank you
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 18, 2013 5:55:28 PM UTC-6, merryb wrote:
> On Feb 18, 3:49*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
> > Paging through Venus in the Kitchen or Love's Cookery Book by

> > Pilaff Bey (pseudonym of Norman Douglas), I came across the

> > following: *Rôti Sans Pareil. *Going from the smallest item to the

> > largest, we have

> > a large olive stuffed with a paste of anchovies, capers and oil;

> > a trussed and boned garden warbler;

> > a fat ortolan;

> > a boned lark;

> > a boned thrush;

> > a fat quail;

> > a boned lapwing;

> > a boned golden plover;

> > a fat, boned, red-legged partridge;

> > a young, boned, well-hung woodcock rolled in crumbs;

> > a boned teal;

> > a boned, well-larded guinea-fowl;

> > a young, boned, tame duck;

> > a boned, fat fowl; a well-hung pheasant5;

> > a boned, fat, wild goose;

> > a fine turkey; and

> > a boned bustard.

> > * *This was apparently an abbreviated form of a recipe that was in

> > A. T. Raimbault's Le Parfait Cuisinier (1814). *Douglas points out

> > some problems, like the impossibility of stuffing larger birds

> > into smaller ones (e.g., stuffing a lapwing into a plover). *You

> > can compare Douglas's rendition with that on page 92 of

> > Raimbault's book via goog1e, assuming you can read French:

> > <http://books.google.com/books?id=rtNqrNGoXEwC&printsec=frontcover&sou...>

> > or

> > http://tinyurl.com/b5beend

> LOL- I have that book also! One of the lines cracks me up- a well hung
>
> woodcock??
>
> I wonder if all of those birds are still around.

This duck is far more well-hung than any woodcock.
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl.../14/366856.htm

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 18, 4:43*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Monday, February 18, 2013 5:55:28 PM UTC-6, merryb wrote:
> > On Feb 18, 3:49*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:

> > > Paging through Venus in the Kitchen or Love's Cookery Book by

> > > Pilaff Bey (pseudonym of Norman Douglas), I came across the

> > > following: *Rôti Sans Pareil. *Going from the smallest item to the

> > > largest, we have

> > > a large olive stuffed with a paste of anchovies, capers and oil;

> > > a trussed and boned garden warbler;

> > > a fat ortolan;

> > > a boned lark;

> > > a boned thrush;

> > > a fat quail;

> > > a boned lapwing;

> > > a boned golden plover;

> > > a fat, boned, red-legged partridge;

> > > a young, boned, well-hung woodcock rolled in crumbs;

> > > a boned teal;

> > > a boned, well-larded guinea-fowl;

> > > a young, boned, tame duck;

> > > a boned, fat fowl; a well-hung pheasant5;

> > > a boned, fat, wild goose;

> > > a fine turkey; and

> > > a boned bustard.

> > > * *This was apparently an abbreviated form of a recipe that was in

> > > A. T. Raimbault's Le Parfait Cuisinier (1814). *Douglas points out

> > > some problems, like the impossibility of stuffing larger birds

> > > into smaller ones (e.g., stuffing a lapwing into a plover). *You

> > > can compare Douglas's rendition with that on page 92 of

> > > Raimbault's book via goog1e, assuming you can read French:

> > > <http://books.google.com/books?id=rtNqrNGoXEwC&printsec=frontcover&sou...>

> > > or

> > >http://tinyurl.com/b5beend

> > LOL- I have that book also! One of the lines cracks me up- a well hung

> > woodcock??

> > I wonder if all of those birds are still around.

> This duck is far more well-hung than any woodcock.http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl.../14/366856.htm
>
> --Bryan

LOL- if I was a bird, I'd be very afraid to see that flying towards me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> LOL- I have that book also! One of the lines cracks me up- a well hung
> woodcock??
> I wonder if all of those birds are still around.

One is here in Italy and is a Public Prosecutor, Henry John Woodcock from
Somerset (UK). Unluckyly for him, he often worked on crimes committed by
politicians thus he found lots of obstacles on his way. In many occasions a
case he was working on has been moved to other public prosecutors to stop
his work, like the famous "VIP gate" case (regarding personalities from many
political parties, finance, press, bureocracy...) which got moved to Rome
where it got finally forgotten. Ops, pardon me, "archived". Rome's Courtroom
is also known as "the foggy bay" where trials against politicians get lost
forever, as in that case.
He's a good PP and a good person, we need more people like him.
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:14:47 AM UTC-6, ViLco wrote:
> merryb wrote:
>

> > LOL- I have that book also! One of the lines cracks me up- a well hung

> > woodcock??

> > I wonder if all of those birds are still around.

> One is here in Italy and is a Public Prosecutor, Henry John Woodcock from
>
> Somerset (UK). Unluckyly for him, he often worked on crimes committed by
>
> politicians thus he found lots of obstacles on his way. In many occasions a
>
> case he was working on has been moved to other public prosecutors to stop
>
> his work, like the famous "VIP gate" case (regarding personalities from many
>
> political parties, finance, press, bureocracy...) which got moved to Rome
>
> where it got finally forgotten. Ops, pardon me, "archived". Rome's Courtroom
>
> is also known as "the foggy bay" where trials against politicians get lost
>
> forever, as in that case.
>
> He's a good PP and a good person, we need more people like him.

You certainly do. Italy is probably the most corrupt country in the
civilized world. Too many rich folks pay too much in bribes, and too
little in taxes.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 18, 2013 5:57:29 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:

I'm thinking that I don't want to eat anything that starts with "Turd."

> Jill <---will just watch the garden warblers, thank you

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-19, ViLco > wrote:

> He's a good PP and a good person, we need more people like him.

I'm almost afraid to ask the obvious question, which is: How was it
determined that he was "well hung"?

I'm thinking the balcony scene (Insp. Pazzi) from the film,
Hannibal, you filthy minded swine!.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. > wrote:

[snippage throughout]

> Paging through Venus in the Kitchen or Love's Cookery Book by
> Pilaff Bey (pseudonym of Norman Douglas), I came across the
> following: Rôti Sans Pareil. Going from the smallest item to the
> largest, we have

[snip]
> This was apparently an abbreviated form of a recipe that was in
> A. T. Raimbault's Le Parfait Cuisinier (1814). Douglas points out
> some problems, like the impossibility of stuffing larger birds
> into smaller ones (e.g., stuffing a lapwing into a plover).

[snip]

I am sure you have read "South Wind through the Kitchen" by Elizabeth
David, which is included in the "Omelette and a Glass of Wine". There,
she makes it clear that Douglas, in his book, never suggests that he
regards the recipes he includes as anything more than a jovial
diversion.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> On Feb 18, 3:49 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Paging through Venus in the Kitchen or Love's Cookery Book by
>> Pilaff Bey (pseudonym of Norman Douglas), I came across the
>> following: Rôti Sans Pareil. Going from the smallest item to the
>> largest, we have
>>
>> a large olive stuffed with a paste of anchovies, capers and oil;
>> a trussed and boned garden warbler;
>> a fat ortolan;
>> a boned lark;
>> a boned thrush;
>> a fat quail;
>> a boned lapwing;
>> a boned golden plover;
>> a fat, boned, red-legged partridge;
>> a young, boned, well-hung woodcock rolled in crumbs;
>> a boned teal;
>> a boned, well-larded guinea-fowl;
>> a young, boned, tame duck;
>> a boned, fat fowl; a well-hung pheasant5;
>> a boned, fat, wild goose;
>> a fine turkey; and
>> a boned bustard.
>> This was apparently an abbreviated form of a recipe that was in
>> A. T. Raimbault's Le Parfait Cuisinier (1814). Douglas points out
>> some problems, like the impossibility of stuffing larger birds
>> into smaller ones (e.g., stuffing a lapwing into a plover). You
>> can compare Douglas's rendition with that on page 92 of
>> Raimbault's book via goog1e, assuming you can read French:
>>
>> <http://books.google.com/books?id=rtNqrNGoXEwC&printsec=frontcover&sou...>
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/b5beend

> LOL- I have that book also! One of the lines cracks me up- a well hung
> woodcock??
> I wonder if all of those birds are still around.

Yes, I liked that line too, since these recipes supposedly act as
aphrodisiacs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/18/2013 6:49 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> Paging through Venus in the Kitchen or Love's Cookery Book by Pilaff Bey
>> (pseudonym of Norman Douglas), I came across the following: Rôti Sans
>> Pareil. Going from the smallest item to the largest, we have
>>
>> a large olive stuffed with a paste of anchovies, capers and oil;
>> a trussed and boned garden warbler;
>> a fat ortolan;
>> a boned lark;
>> a boned thrush;
>> a fat quail;
>> a boned lapwing;
>> a boned golden plover;
>> a fat, boned, red-legged partridge;
>> a young, boned, well-hung woodcock rolled in crumbs;
>> a boned teal;
>> a boned, well-larded guinea-fowl;
>> a young, boned, tame duck;
>> a boned, fat fowl; a well-hung pheasant;
>> a boned, fat, wild goose;
>> a fine turkey; and
>> a boned bustard.
>> This was apparently an abbreviated form of a recipe that was in A. T.
>> Raimbault's Le Parfait Cuisinier (1814). Douglas points out some
>> problems, like the impossibility of stuffing larger birds into smaller
>> ones (e.g., stuffing a lapwing into a plover). You can compare
>> Douglas's rendition with that on page 92 of Raimbault's book via goog1e,
>> assuming you can read French:
>>
>> <http://books.google.com/books?id=rtNqrNGoXEwC&printsec=frontcover&source=g bs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false>
>>

>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/b5beend
>>

> Was this some sort of festival dish? How many people were they cooking
> for?
>
> Jill <---will just watch the garden warblers, thank you

I am not sure what prose surrounds the original, because my French
is not adequate to translate any such thing. These were recipes
the author collected that were supposed to be aphrodisiacs. I
agree about the warblers and other birds, minus the turkey and
maybe some of the other big ones.

I was thinking about the ortolan and wondered whether it was
extinct. Looking into that, I see it is nearly extinct. I seem
to recall that they were part of Mitterrand's last meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:
> merryb wrote:
>
>> LOL- I have that book also! One of the lines cracks me up- a well hung
>> woodcock??
>> I wonder if all of those birds are still around.

> One is here in Italy and is a Public Prosecutor, Henry John Woodcock from
> Somerset (UK). Unluckyly for him, he often worked on crimes committed by
> politicians thus he found lots of obstacles on his way. In many occasions a
> case he was working on has been moved to other public prosecutors to stop
> his work, like the famous "VIP gate" case (regarding personalities from many
> political parties, finance, press, bureocracy...) which got moved to Rome
> where it got finally forgotten. Ops, pardon me, "archived". Rome's Courtroom
> is also known as "the foggy bay" where trials against politicians get lost
> forever, as in that case.
> He's a good PP and a good person, we need more people like him.

I gather the subject of his endowment will not come up....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Jean B. > wrote:
>
> [snippage throughout]
>
>> Paging through Venus in the Kitchen or Love's Cookery Book by
>> Pilaff Bey (pseudonym of Norman Douglas), I came across the
>> following: Rôti Sans Pareil. Going from the smallest item to the
>> largest, we have

> [snip]
>> This was apparently an abbreviated form of a recipe that was in
>> A. T. Raimbault's Le Parfait Cuisinier (1814). Douglas points out
>> some problems, like the impossibility of stuffing larger birds
>> into smaller ones (e.g., stuffing a lapwing into a plover).

> [snip]
>
> I am sure you have read "South Wind through the Kitchen" by Elizabeth
> David, which is included in the "Omelette and a Glass of Wine". There,
> she makes it clear that Douglas, in his book, never suggests that he
> regards the recipes he includes as anything more than a jovial
> diversion.
>
> Victor

Sounds like time to read that book again. I will order it in a
few moments. But... I sure didn't see that recipe as anything
that was going to be cooked. In fact, there was only ONE recipe
in the book that I thought looked possibly worth cooking.

Okay, I just ordered it.... For that matter, I may have it here.
Somewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

>> He's a good PP and a good person, we need more people like him.

> You certainly do. Italy is probably the most corrupt country in the
> civilized world. Too many rich folks pay too much in bribes, and too
> little in taxes.

And that corruption is costing us a lot, it's a big obstacle for foreign
investments
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-20, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> I think brain would have raised some flags.<g>

Brain was the main dish in the 3rd Hopkins movie, Hannibal, where
Lecter prepared flambéd brain of agent Paul Krendler (Ray Liotta),
while agent Krendler was still in use of it, albeit somewhat
thoughtlessly.

nb

Gourmet Tea compared to store bought James Bourque Tea 1 28-10-2008 12:16 PM
Pectin in pears, compared to quinces? Phas General Cooking 1 08-10-2008 10:53 PM
Two Brouilly compared Ben Snyder Wine 1 09-09-2006 12:39 AM
American beer compared to others Xomicron Beer 41 26-07-2004 08:57 PM
High BTU Gas and Electric ranges compared Joe Doe Cooking Equipment 4 10-12-2003 04:26 AM