Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Deducting fiber from carbs.

On 02/17/2013 02:09 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Here are links to show that you should do this. If you live in the US
> anyway. Not sure how Canada does food labels in regard to fiber but most
> other countries have already done the math for ya. So this wouldn't apply
> to you if you live in one of those other countries.
>
> http://www.ehow.com/about_5040411_fo...ing-carbs.html
>
> http://www.livestrong.com/article/51...m-total-carbs/
>
> And this one said that even Atkins eventually said that you should. Note
> that I have not kept up on Atkins. Have never done that plan and never
> would. And the last time I read one of his books was at least 10 years ago.
> And only then because my husband thought he wanted to go on it. But there
> is no way he could have stuck to it being the fruit lover that he is.
>
> http://www.expertfoods.com/FAQ/fiberbasics.php
>
> So, if you are not subtracting your carbs, you could get a nasty hypo,
> particularly if you are taking insulin!

Hi All,

I am remembering why my GP told me to just count the carbs.
He said that fiber just slowed the absorption. Fiber does not
block the absorption. And, he wanted me off high amounts
of carbs, period.

Over on the ADA's forum, they call the delayed absorption
effect the "pizza effect". Essentially, the Pizza Effect
is the gift that keeps on giving. The high fats in Pizza
slow the absorption of the carbs. But you still absorb
them. Your BG go up slowly, but it stays up for hours
and hours.

I think my GP has a point. He is a smart guy.

And, you could always test over several hours to see
what the damage is. I believe the number of 140 is
where BG starts becoming really unhealthy.

-T