Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 02/08/2013 10:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> My grandparents had chickens as did my best friend when I was growing up.
>> So nobody needs to explain chickens to me.

> I was referring to full circle farming. In the chicken -->
> out the chicken --> in the soil --> in the plant -->
> out the plant --> back into the chicken. Sometimes
> other livestock is used.

That's generally how farming is done. Isn't it? That's the way it's done
here!

> Most commercial produce is bread for two purposes:
> 1) to lay flat in a shipping container and 2) not
> to rot in the container. This is one of the reasons
> why it tastes like crap. Another reason is that
> commercial produce is very seldom grown full circle,
> not even organic produce. Plus commercial organic
> produce is picked so green is bad for you.

Huh? How could produce be bread?

Again... Our produce here does not taste like crap. Funny you should
mention the name Full Circle. That's the name of the farm that I used to
get my CSA box from. But we quit getting it. There was just too much fruit
in there and we're not big fruit eaters. Well, husband is, but he wouldn't
eat what was in the box.

I'm sorry if the produce tastes like crap where you live. I have lived in
WA, CA, MA, PA and NY. The only place where produce could be a problem was
MA. I lived on the Cape and nothing was grown locally. It wasn't so much
that it tasted bad. But it wasn't always fresh.

Not all commercial produce is picked "green" as you say and some of it
starts out green. Like lettuce. I think there is a lot you don't know
about farming and produce. Again, I come from a long line of farmers and
for much of my life I did have a garden. I gave up on having one here.
What I did grow tasted no better than what I can get at the store. Used to
be the home grown tomatoes tasted better. That's not the case any more.
Not here anyway.

> Oh I so know what you mean about the farmers markets.
> You are blessed to have good source of produce at
> your stores. I too love my produce (grown right).
>
> Everyone needs there own farmer. (I have come to
> so enjoy picking my own tomatoes, peppers, and
> egg plant. $2.99/lb.)

That's very expensive! Where do you live where it costs that much? I am
lucky to have Winco here where produce is cheap.

> Oh! Have you tried real spinach. Spinach is not flat.
> Only the hybridized stuff lays flat in a shipping container.
> Which is probably why is tastes like crap. The real stuff
> is all crinkly. I was thinking of trying to grow some
> real heirloom spinach to see how much different it tastes.
> Have you tried any heirloom spiniches.

Good gravy! Some spinach is flat. Okay... Some background. Not only do I
come from a long line of farmers but... I used to be the Garden Shop
manager at K Mart. Please to not try to tell me about gardening. No, I am
not a master gardener. But I attended enough gardening conventions that I
do know a tad about it. And yes, I have grown plenty of spinach and other
greens. They are one of the few things one can almost always grow with
success in this climate here in the PNW. I have not tried heirloom spinach
and I don't eat much spinach at all. Greens are something I don't digest
very well.

I have not honestly noticed too much difference between heirloom tomatoes
and regular ones as far as the taste goes. The heirloom ones do come in
pretty colors and can look ugly. I picked up a bag of some sort of tomatoes
at Central Market the other day. Wonderful things. They look like Campari
but I don't think that's exactly what they are. Was only $2.99 for a huge
bag. I have a few leftovers that I will be putting in my soup tomorrow.
Also some green beans, carrots, celery, potatoes, onions and still need to
buy a zucchini. I would put a small amount of spinach if I could actually
buy a small amount but AFAIK, Winco doesn't sell it loose and they have no
salad bar. So I will make do with what I have. Will also put a can of some
kind of white beans in there. Some ground beef that I have in the freezer.
And some tomato juice and maybe beef broth. I think I will pick up some
fresh parsley too. Ahhhhhh.