Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

Todd wrote:
> On 02/08/2013 09:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Todd" > wrote in message
>> ..> Hi >
>>> Absolutely.
>>>
>>> The community carrots never make it to the cooked stage. Sometimes
>>> they don't even make it to the refrigerator. (I cuts them up and
>>> add them to the community tomatoes that got crushed in the bad
>>> and feast.) I mainly use cooked carrots as "seasoning".
>>>
>>> Was hoping for a variety of carrot to grow that was the most
>>> T2 friendly. (Man their seeds are tiny!)

>> I eat store bought carrots all the time. They taste fine and they
>> don't spike me. Again, there is no one food that we all eat or
>> don't eat.

> Hi Julie,
>
> I eat store bought carrots in the winter when my local community
> grower is closed. There is no comparison against a real carrot.
> The first time I bought them, they stunk up the car so bad that
> I almost went crazy not pulling aver and devouring them on the
> spot. Imagine carrots that smell good. And *A LOT* of smell.
> The stunk up my house getting them inside too. They did not
> last very long. (Yes, I shared with my wife.)

I have grown carrots. I have gotten them when I had a CSA box. I noticed
*no* difference whatever.

> I have a theory (not the first to come up with it) that the
> reason people avoid produce is that it tastes like crap. If you
> ever manage to find a community grower, you will know what I
> mean. I have to discipline myself or I'd buy everything. It
> tastes so good. You really have to find one of these growers!
> (Fun to feed the chickens [the "Ladies"] too. They will explain
> it to you when you get there.)

Produce doesn't taste like crap. Vegetables are my favorite foods with some
exceptions. I have an extreme dislike for broccoli, Brussel sprouts,
asparagus, avocados and cooked cauliflower. Raw cauliflower tastes okay but
it's not something I'd seek out. Also dislike parsnips.

My grandparents had chickens as did my best friend when I was growing up.
So nobody needs to explain chickens to me.

> It has been said that every family needs three things:
> 1) their own doctor, 2) their own dentist, and 3) their own
> farmer. :-)

Don't know who said that but if your produce is bad, then you need to find
another store. We get very good produce here and most stores have a good
selection of organic. I avoid the Farmer's Markets. I have seen what they
are selling and bought some a couple of times. It is often rotting or close
to it and very over priced.