Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa
Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] is offline

Default Vegetarians Cut Heart Disease Risk By 32 Percent

Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/blogs-n...32-/12682.html

> Vegetarians 'cut heart risk by 32%'
>
> By James Gallagher
> Health and science reporter, BBC News
> January 30, 2013
>
> Ditching meat and fish in favour of a vegetarian diet can
> have a dramatic effect on the health of your heart,
> research suggests.
>
> A study of 44,500 people in England and Scotland showed
> vegetarians were 32% less likely to die or need hospital
> treatment as a result of heart disease.
>
> Differences in cholesterol levels, blood pressure and
> body weight are thought to be behind the health boost.
>
> The findings were published in the American Journal of
> Clinical Nutrition.
>
> Heart disease is a major blight in Western countries. It
> kills 94,000 people in the UK each year, more than any
> other disease, and 2.6 million people live with the
> condition.
>
> The heart's own blood supply becomes blocked up by fatty
> deposits in the arteries that nourish the heart muscle.
> It can cause angina or even lead to a heart attack if the
> blood vessels become completely blocked.
>
> Continues at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21258509

Meat-eaters have higher blood pressure,are more
hypertensive

Many studies have compared the blood pressure levels of
people who have different diet-styles. Even when the
data have been adjusted to eliminate salt as a variable,
the following pattern is consistent:

Blood Pressure Levels (highest ranked first)

1. Meat eaters
2. Lacto-ovo vegetarians
3. Pure vegetarians

- Burr, M., 'Plasma Cholesterol and Blood Pressure in
Vegetarians,' Journal of Human Nutrition, 35:437, 1981.

- Sacks, F., 'Blood Pressure in Vegetarians,' American
Journal of Epidemiology, 100:390, 1974.

- Armstrong, B., '. . . Blood Pressure in Vegetarians,'
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 32:2472, 1979.

- Ophir, O., 'Low Blood Pressure in Vegetarians,'
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 37:755, 1983.

- Kaplan, N., 'Non-Drug Treatment of Hypertension,'
Annals of Internal Medicine, 102:359, 1985.

- Editorial, 'Lowering Blood Pressure Without Drugs,'
Lancet, 2:459, 1980.

- Rouse, I., 'Blood Pressure Lowering Effect of a
Vegetarian Diet . . .,' Lancet, 1:5, 1983."

Excerpts and sources are from "Diet For A New America" by
John Robbins; Stillpoint; 1987.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti