Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default Camembert

On 2013-02-01 20:36:34 +0000, Doug Freyburger said:

> If you like Mexican fresh cheeses or the various sorts most of those are
> now made in the US as well. To me these rank in the every day category
> not gourmet types.

I guess I like gourment types "every day". Most mexican cheese are
either too bland or too salty. Same as with middle-eastern string
cheeses, way too much salt for me.

>> I sure like the Cowgirl blue.

> Yet Maytag Blue is one of the highest rated moldy cheeses made in the
> US.

I see it has detractors, but I've enjoyed it many times. Maybe it's
changed as its distribution has (apparently) grown.

>> Do you have any nationa/regional chains where you tend to buy quality cheeses?

> Dominics carries a variety. On the west coast they are known as Vons.
> Not sure if they are a part of the Safeway or Kroger umbrella.

There may be some stocking differences to go along with the name
change. I can never find Camembert there.