Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default Camembert

For Unitedstatesian contributors:

Do you have a preferred camembert generally available here? I got
hooked on eating it at breakfast a couple of years back in France and I
just love the stuff. And I can find a number of brands here, but some
are much better than others?

I read that unless it says "de Normandie" richer flavor/higher quality
should not be expected. Right now I have Président Camembert which
indicates its' distributed from (USA) but does not say where it is made.

Any preferences by brand?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:57:20 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> For Unitedstatesian contributors:
>
> Do you have a preferred camembert generally available here? I got
> hooked on eating it at breakfast a couple of years back in France and I
> just love the stuff. And I can find a number of brands here, but some
> are much better than others?
>
> I read that unless it says "de Normandie" richer flavor/higher quality
> should not be expected. Right now I have Président Camembert which
> indicates its' distributed from (USA) but does not say where it is made.
>
> Any preferences by brand?

I only buy soft cheese by the wedge; mainly so I can see how soft it
is and if it's not super soft, I won't buy it. Ile de France is a
decent brand to look for. I always buy double cream and triple if
it's a choice. That said: I prefer brie these days with Cambazola as
runner up (depending on how I plan to use them).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> Do you have a preferred camembert generally available here?

I like Delice better than the others found around here. It only comes in a big
wheel, if that matters (no 8-oz minis).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 10:44:12 -0800, sf > wrote:

> Cambazola

I always misspell Cambozola, sorry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013013109572023406-xxx@yyyzzz...
> For Unitedstatesian contributors:
>
> Do you have a preferred camembert generally available here? I got hooked
> on eating it at breakfast a couple of years back in France and I just love
> the stuff. And I can find a number of brands here, but some are much
> better than others?
>
> I read that unless it says "de Normandie" richer flavor/higher quality
> should not be expected. Right now I have Président Camembert which
> indicates its' distributed from (USA) but does not say where it is made.
>
> Any preferences by brand?

One of the best that is pretty available is Le Chatelain, with a
picture below. The previously mentioned Cambozola is not a
Camembert, Ile de France is bad flat paste and President is
made in the US and cleverly packaged so that is not obvious.

If you can find on from Normandie it has a good chance of being
good, depending on how it was handled; as you know from
France, it must be soft and fresh. If you are near a Whole Foods
they are bringing in a couple of excellent Camemberts, but do
remember that they are all pasteurized milk; raw milk "Cams,"
which you got in France, are illegal unless domestically produced.
<http://www.greatcheese.com/cheese/le-chatelain.php>

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" > wrote in message
> gtr wrote:
>
>> Do you have a preferred camembert generally available here?

> I like Delice better than the others found around here. It only comes in a
> big
> wheel, if that matters (no 8-oz minis).

Well, a big oval, really, four pounds or so.

About ten years ago Anco, one of its main distributors, started
distributing an 8-ounce oval form of Delice, packed in a nice
cardboard container. We carried it at Whole Foods, it was
popular and sold well. In fact, Publix carried it in its gourmet
cheese displays. Then it suddenly disappeared. Our rep said
that these things happen. Yes, they do. Sad.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 10:44:12 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:57:20 -0800, gtr > wrote:
>
>> For Unitedstatesian contributors:
>>
>> Do you have a preferred camembert generally available here? I got
>> hooked on eating it at breakfast a couple of years back in France and I
>> just love the stuff. And I can find a number of brands here, but some
>> are much better than others?
>>
>> I read that unless it says "de Normandie" richer flavor/higher quality
>> should not be expected. Right now I have Président Camembert which
>> indicates its' distributed from (USA) but does not say where it is made.
>>
>> Any preferences by brand?

>I only buy soft cheese by the wedge; mainly so I can see how soft it
>is and if it's not super soft, I won't buy it. Ile de France is a
>decent brand to look for. I always buy double cream and triple if
>it's a choice. That said: I prefer brie these days with Cambazola as
>runner up (depending on how I plan to use them).

Buying soft cheese by the wheel is a sensual experience ;o) I always
stroke and press the center of the wheel. Even if the cheese is cold,
you can tell if the soft center is developed and how much. You will
be able to feel if it is still hard.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote:

>Buying soft cheese by the wheel is a sensual experience ;o) I always
>stroke and press the center of the wheel. Even if the cheese is cold,
>you can tell if the soft center is developed and how much. You will
>be able to feel if it is still hard.

I'd like for you to check my sausage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 31, 2:08*pm, "pavane" > wrote:

> One of the best that is pretty available is Le Chatelain, with a
> picture below. The previously mentioned Cambozola is not a
> Camembert, Ile de France is bad flat paste and President is
> made in the US and cleverly packaged so that is not obvious.
>
> If you can find on from Normandie it has a good chance of being
> good, depending on how it was handled; as you know from
> France, it must be soft and fresh. If you are near a Whole Foods
> they are bringing in a couple of excellent Camemberts, but do
> remember that they are all pasteurized milk; raw milk "Cams,"
> which you got in France, are illegal unless domestically produced.
> <http://www.greatcheese.com/cheese/le-chatelain.php>
>
> pavane

That's the problem with cheese in the US. The best cheese is usually
raw milk and that is very difficult to get. That said, there are a
few very good US cheeses.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 01:36:47 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 14:46:28 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> Buying soft cheese by the wheel is a sensual experience ;o) I always
>> stroke and press the center of the wheel. Even if the cheese is cold,
>> you can tell if the soft center is developed and how much. You will
>> be able to feel if it is still hard.

>Brie gets firmer as it ages.
>
>-sw

Doesn't really make a difference. You're looking for consistent
softness all over the cheese. If it has hard spots, leave it at the
store for someone who does grocery shopping by just pulling something
off the shelf and sticking it in their cart.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-02-01 13:06:14 +0000, Helpful person said:

>> If you can find on from Normandie it has a good chance of being
>> good, depending on how it was handled; as you know from
>> France, it must be soft and fresh. If you are near a Whole Foods
>> they are bringing in a couple of excellent Camemberts, but do
>> remember that they are all pasteurized milk; raw milk "Cams,"
>> which you got in France, are illegal unless domestically produced.

I was under the impression that US cheese had to be made from
pasteurized, whether foreign or domestic.

> That's the problem with cheese in the US. The best cheese is usually
> raw milk and that is very difficult to get.

How difficult?

> That said, there are a few very good US cheeses.

And what are those?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/1/13 10:42 AM, gtr wrote:

>> That said, there are a few very good US cheeses.

> And what are those?

One opinion:

There are dozens of good (but not great) cheeses made in the US by small
producers.

Among those in wide distribution, anything from Cowgirl, Rogue, or
Jasper Hill will be decent.

For our taste, the two best American cheeses both come from Meadow Creek
Dairy in Virginia: Grayson (which they liken to a Tallegio or Livarot)
and Appalachian (think Tomme). If you like mature (i.e., stinky)
cheeses, mature Grayson is sublime.

IMO, much as I love Anchor Steam and the overall contributions of the
Maytag family, Maytag Blue is an abomination. It tastes like the random
concoction of an eight year old with his first chemistry set.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-02-01 16:09:10 +0000, pltrgyst said:

> On 2/1/13 10:42 AM, gtr wrote:
>
>>> That said, there are a few very good US cheeses.

>> And what are those?

> One opinion:
>
> There are dozens of good (but not great) cheeses made in the US by
> small producers.
>
> Among those in wide distribution, anything from Cowgirl, Rogue, or
> Jasper Hill will be decent.
>
> For our taste, the two best American cheeses both come from Meadow
> Creek Dairy in Virginia: Grayson (which they liken to a Tallegio or
> Livarot) and Appalachian (think Tomme). If you like mature (i.e.,
> stinky) cheeses, mature Grayson is sublime.

Duly noted! Thanks.

> IMO, much as I love Anchor Steam and the overall contributions of the
> Maytag family, Maytag Blue is an abomination. It tastes like the random
> concoction of an eight year old with his first chemistry set.

I sure like the Cowgirl blue.

Do you have any nationa/regional chains where you tend to buy quality cheeses?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 10:42*am, gtr > wrote:
> On 2013-02-01 13:06:14 +0000, Helpful person said:
>
> I was under the impression that US cheese had to be made from
> pasteurized, whether foreign or domestic.
>
> > That's the problem with cheese in the US. *The best cheese is usually
> > raw milk and that is very difficult to get.

> How difficult?
>
> > That said, there are a few very good US cheeses.

> And what are those?

I have difficulty remembering the cheese names unless I'm at the
Deli. However, there's Point Reyes (blue), Wisconsin Mountain (a
Swiss style cheese) and some Vermont cheddars.

At Zingerman's Deli all the cheese is wonderful.
http://www.zingermans.com/Category.a...rican_beauties

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-02-01 17:21:12 +0000, Helpful person said:

>>> That said, there are a few very good US cheeses.

>> And what are those?

> I have difficulty remembering the cheese names unless I'm at the
> Deli.

Precisely my dilemma with the Camembert! I've had a few good ones, but
can never remember which is which.

> However, there's Point Reyes (blue), Wisconsin Mountain (a Swiss style
> cheese) and some Vermont cheddars.
>
> At Zingerman's Deli all the cheese is wonderful.
> http://www.zingermans.com/Category.a...rican_beauties
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

Particularly, I assume, if you live nearby.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On 2/1/13 10:42 AM, gtr wrote:
>
>>> That said, there are a few very good US cheeses.

>> And what are those?

> One opinion:
>
> There are dozens of good (but not great) cheeses made in the US by small
> producers.
>
> Among those in wide distribution, anything from Cowgirl, Rogue, or Jasper
> Hill will be decent.
>
> For our taste, the two best American cheeses both come from Meadow Creek
> Dairy in Virginia: Grayson (which they liken to a Tallegio or Livarot) and
> Appalachian (think Tomme). If you like mature (i.e., stinky) cheeses,
> mature Grayson is sublime.
>
> IMO, much as I love Anchor Steam and the overall contributions of the
> Maytag family, Maytag Blue is an abomination. It tastes like the random
> concoction of an eight year old with his first chemistry set.
>
> -- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On 2/1/13 10:42 AM, gtr wrote:
>
>>> That said, there are a few very good US cheeses.

>> And what are those?

> One opinion:
>
> There are dozens of good (but not great) cheeses made in the US by small
> producers.
>
> Among those in wide distribution, anything from Cowgirl, Rogue, or Jasper
> Hill will be decent.
>
> For our taste, the two best American cheeses both come from Meadow Creek
> Dairy in Virginia: Grayson (which they liken to a Tallegio or Livarot) and
> Appalachian (think Tomme). If you like mature (i.e., stinky) cheeses,
> mature Grayson is sublime.
>
> IMO, much as I love Anchor Steam and the overall contributions of the
> Maytag family, Maytag Blue is an abomination. It tastes like the random
> concoction of an eight year old with his first chemistry set.

Agree with all you have written. Add Marin County Cheese (Rouge et Noir),
Blythedale Camembert, and many of the new Blues (Winter Park Cheese
and many others.) For some reason the US is making very good Blues.
Except, as you note, Maytag. Something went wrong there. Point Reyes
is making the cheese that Maytag started trying to make. And Point Reyes
is a raw milk cheese, btw. Oh, Add Vermont Butter and Cheese Company
in general, and Cypress Grove for all sorts of clever goat cheeses.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013020108563428287-xxx@yyyzzz...

>>> And what are those?

>> One opinion:
>>
>> There are dozens of good (but not great) cheeses made in the US by small
>> producers.
>>
>> Among those in wide distribution, anything from Cowgirl, Rogue, or Jasper
>> Hill will be decent.
>>
>> For our taste, the two best American cheeses both come from Meadow Creek
>> Dairy in Virginia: Grayson (which they liken to a Tallegio or Livarot)
>> and Appalachian (think Tomme). If you like mature (i.e., stinky) cheeses,
>> mature Grayson is sublime.

> Duly noted! Thanks.
>
>> IMO, much as I love Anchor Steam and the overall contributions of the
>> Maytag family, Maytag Blue is an abomination. It tastes like the random
>> concoction of an eight year old with his first chemistry set.

> I sure like the Cowgirl blue.
>
> Do you have any nationa/regional chains where you tend to buy quality
> cheeses?

Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Fairview, Wegmans ... you have to check locally.
For me, only Whole Foods is available.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Feb 1, 10:42 am, gtr > wrote:
>> On 2013-02-01 13:06:14 +0000, Helpful person said:
>>
>> I was under the impression that US cheese had to be made from
>> pasteurized, whether foreign or domestic.
>>
>> > That's the problem with cheese in the US. The best cheese is usually
>> > raw milk and that is very difficult to get.

>> How difficult?
>>
>> > That said, there are a few very good US cheeses.

>> And what are those?

> I have difficulty remembering the cheese names unless I'm at the
> Deli. However, there's Point Reyes (blue), Wisconsin Mountain (a
> Swiss style cheese) and some Vermont cheddars.
>
> At Zingerman's Deli all the cheese is wonderful.
> http://www.zingermans.com/Category.a...rican_beauties
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

Agree, and they pack things beautifully. They have a great eclectic
catalog. Neat store.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013020107421418498-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-02-01 13:06:14 +0000, Helpful person said:
>
>>> If you can find on from Normandie it has a good chance of being
>>> good, depending on how it was handled; as you know from
>>> France, it must be soft and fresh. If you are near a Whole Foods
>>> they are bringing in a couple of excellent Camemberts, but do
>>> remember that they are all pasteurized milk; raw milk "Cams,"
>>> which you got in France, are illegal unless domestically produced.

> I was under the impression that US cheese had to be made from
> pasteurized, whether foreign or domestic.

Not true. Fresh or aged-under-60-day cheeses, now that is a problem.
Aged over 60 days, no problem, for instance Parmigiano Reggiano is
a raw milk cheese, as are many Cheddars. And Point Reyes Blue.
Actually numerous numerous cheeses. Just look them up.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-02-01 18:38:37 +0000, pavane said:

>> I was under the impression that US [distributed] cheese had to be made
>> from pasteurized, whether foreign or domestic.

> Not true. Fresh or aged-under-60-day cheeses, now that is a problem.

Ah, that's right. I've been told that before but keep forgetting!

> Aged over 60 days, no problem, for instance Parmigiano Reggiano is a
> raw milk cheese, as are many Cheddars. And Point Reyes Blue.
> Actually numerous numerous cheeses. Just look them up.
>
> pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:
> pltrgyst said:

>>> And what are those?

>> There are dozens of good (but not great) cheeses made in the US by
>> small producers.

Also medium size producers that are okay for every day cheeses. There
are regional producers that make large amounts of cheddar, swiss, cobly
that are just fine. Below the level of "very good" but when eating an
every day cheese price matters somewhat.

If you like Mexican fresh cheeses or the various sorts most of those are
now made in the US as well. To me these rank in the every day category
not gourmet types.

>> Among those in wide distribution, anything from Cowgirl, Rogue, or
>> Jasper Hill will be decent.

>> For our taste, the two best American cheeses both come from Meadow
>> Creek Dairy in Virginia: Grayson (which they liken to a Tallegio or
>> Livarot) and Appalachian (think Tomme). If you like mature (i.e.,
>> stinky) cheeses, mature Grayson is sublime.

There's only one place left that still makes a limberger style cheese.

Now that they have started selling cheddars aged 8-12 years I have begun
to like Wisconsin ones aged that long better than Canadian extra sharp
like Black Diamond. It's a different cheedar style then Glouster or
Chesire so they don't compete head to head the way they do with Canadian
sharp cheddars.

>> IMO, much as I love Anchor Steam and the overall contributions of the
>> Maytag family, Maytag Blue is an abomination. It tastes like the random
>> concoction of an eight year old with his first chemistry set.

> I sure like the Cowgirl blue.

Yet Maytag Blue is one of the highest rated moldy cheeses made in the
US.

> Do you have any nationa/regional chains where you tend to buy quality cheeses?

Dominics carries a variety. On the west coast they are known as Vons.
Not sure if they are a part of the Safeway or Kroger umbrella.

Wisconsin based Woodmans is a small chain of very large grocery stores.
They carry many Wisconsin cheeses as would be expected. They do range
from very good through inexpensive/unoffensive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 20:36:34 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> Yet Maytag Blue is one of the highest rated moldy cheeses made in the
> US.

Back in the days before cheese counters at the grocery store were so
well stocked, I bought my cheeses from a real cheese monger and that's
when I discovered that I like my blues creamy and mild (better to eat
with pears). It's also why I like Cambozola so much. I make a salad
that's roasted endive and roasted pears which is supposed to use
gorgonzola but I prefer Cambozola instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-02-01 20:36:34 +0000, Doug Freyburger said:

> If you like Mexican fresh cheeses or the various sorts most of those are
> now made in the US as well. To me these rank in the every day category
> not gourmet types.

I guess I like gourment types "every day". Most mexican cheese are
either too bland or too salty. Same as with middle-eastern string
cheeses, way too much salt for me.

>> I sure like the Cowgirl blue.

> Yet Maytag Blue is one of the highest rated moldy cheeses made in the
> US.

I see it has detractors, but I've enjoyed it many times. Maybe it's
changed as its distribution has (apparently) grown.

>> Do you have any nationa/regional chains where you tend to buy quality cheeses?

> Dominics carries a variety. On the west coast they are known as Vons.
> Not sure if they are a part of the Safeway or Kroger umbrella.

There may be some stocking differences to go along with the name
change. I can never find Camembert there.

> Wisconsin based Woodmans is a small chain of very large grocery stores.
> They carry many Wisconsin cheeses as would be expected. They do range
> from very good through inexpensive/unoffensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 11:09*am, pltrgyst > wrote:
> On 2/1/13 10:42 AM, gtr wrote:
>
> One opinion:
>
> There are dozens of good (but not great) cheeses made in the US by small
> producers.

I beg to differ. There most certainly are world class cheeses in the
US. I am aware of two although there must be more.

Point Reyes is a superb blue cheese (California)

Great Lakes Cheshire is another. (Michigan) (It was made by an
independent who tended his own cows to control the milk quality.
Since then, after being discontinued, it has gone through a few
changes and has now almost reached its previous pinnacle. It was, and
maybe still is, superior to the Cheshire cheese available in Britain,
even from Neal's Yard Dairy.)

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Feb 1, 11:09 am, pltrgyst > wrote:
>> On 2/1/13 10:42 AM, gtr wrote:
>>
>> One opinion:
>>
>> There are dozens of good (but not great) cheeses made in the US by small
>> producers.
>>

> I beg to differ. There most certainly are world class cheeses in the
> US. I am aware of two although there must be more.
>
> Point Reyes is a superb blue cheese (California)
>
> Great Lakes Cheshire is another. (Michigan) (It was made by an
> independent who tended his own cows to control the milk quality.
> Since then, after being discontinued, it has gone through a few
> changes and has now almost reached its previous pinnacle. It was, and
> maybe still is, superior to the Cheshire cheese available in Britain,
> even from Neal's Yard Dairy.)
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

How interesting. That cheese is produced by Zingerman's, and
available through their catalog. And Zingerman's also carries
Stichelton, which really interests me. My tastes in Cheddar
rise and set with Neal's Yard's Montgomery and Keen's,
although some very interesting US made wrapped Cheddar
are appearing, mainly Cabot by Jasper Hills, and Fiscalini,
both very promising although they need a bit sweeter grass
going into the cows. Thank you for that information, you
have opened a few new lines in Cheshire and English Blue
to be found and followed. And nothing melts like Cheshire...

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Another report from the bizarre reality on Planet Sqwishy.

> Brie gets firmer as it ages.

And mold gets smaller, and hair grows shorter. Amazing!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message

> Now that they have started selling cheddars aged 8-12 years I have begun
> to like Wisconsin ones aged that long better than Canadian extra sharp
> like Black Diamond.

2, 3 and 5yr old Ontario cheddars are widely available and 7 and 9yr old in
specialist cheese shops in Canada. Even the 2yr old have a superior flavour
to the "extra-sharp" varieties.
So it doesn't surprise me that you prefer the older Wisconsin cheeses.

>It's a different cheedar style then Glouster or
> Chesire so they don't compete head to head the way they do with Canadian
> sharp cheddars.

Cheshire is a completely different style of cheese to Cheddar. It is
crumbly and tends to be slightly saltier. Gloucester and Leicester cheeses
these days are not much different to a mild, commercial cheddar.
I used to return from trips to the UK with chunks of genuine, Farmhouse
Cheddar, complete with the rind. Then I discovered the mature Ontario
variety, which is superb in its own right.
BTW, I wondered why the expensive English cheddar was disappearing so
quickly from the fridge. Then I found out that my sons were putting slices
of it in hamburger buns and nuking them in the mw for quick, cheese melt
sandwiches!!!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" > wrote in message
news
> Another report from the bizarre reality on Planet Sqwishy.
>
>> Brie gets firmer as it ages.

> And mold gets smaller, and hair grows shorter. Amazing!

Brie does get firmer as it ages, I don't know about
mold. Hair just starts falling out.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 11:06:01 -0700, "graham" > wrote:
snip

>Cheshire is a completely different style of cheese to Cheddar. It is
>crumbly and tends to be slightly saltier. Gloucester and Leicester cheeses
>these days are not much different to a mild, commercial cheddar.
>I used to return from trips to the UK with chunks of genuine, Farmhouse
>Cheddar, complete with the rind. Then I discovered the mature Ontario
>variety, which is superb in its own right.
>BTW, I wondered why the expensive English cheddar was disappearing so
>quickly from the fridge. Then I found out that my sons were putting slices
>of it in hamburger buns and nuking them in the mw for quick, cheese melt
>sandwiches!!!
>Graham

Oh, No! not your good cheddar! You need a lockbox for it ;o)
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 11:06:01 -0700, "graham" > wrote:
> snip
>>>

>>Cheshire is a completely different style of cheese to Cheddar. It is
>>crumbly and tends to be slightly saltier. Gloucester and Leicester
>>cheeses
>>these days are not much different to a mild, commercial cheddar.
>>I used to return from trips to the UK with chunks of genuine, Farmhouse
>>Cheddar, complete with the rind. Then I discovered the mature Ontario
>>variety, which is superb in its own right.
>>BTW, I wondered why the expensive English cheddar was disappearing so
>>quickly from the fridge. Then I found out that my sons were putting slices
>>of it in hamburger buns and nuking them in the mw for quick, cheese melt
>>sandwiches!!!
>>Graham
>>

> Oh, No! not your good cheddar! You need a lockbox for it ;o)
> Janet US

Not only that but following divorce, I didn't have a lot of "disposable"
income so to economise, I bought 4 litre wine "boxes". You can guess the
rest!!!!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 11:39:40 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

snip

>Not only that but following divorce, I didn't have a lot of "disposable"
>income so to economise, I bought 4 litre wine "boxes". You can guess the
>rest!!!!
>Graham

I'm sorry, Graham, I didn't know. I hope things are smoothing out.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-02-02 18:10:42 +0000, Janet Bostwick said:

> On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 11:06:01 -0700, "graham" > wrote:
> snip

>> Cheshire is a completely different style of cheese to Cheddar. It is
>> crumbly and tends to be slightly saltier. Gloucester and Leicester cheeses
>> these days are not much different to a mild, commercial cheddar.
>> I used to return from trips to the UK with chunks of genuine, Farmhouse
>> Cheddar, complete with the rind. Then I discovered the mature Ontario
>> variety, which is superb in its own right.
>> BTW, I wondered why the expensive English cheddar was disappearing so
>> quickly from the fridge. Then I found out that my sons were putting slices
>> of it in hamburger buns and nuking them in the mw for quick, cheese melt
>> sandwiches!!!
>>

> Oh, No! not your good cheddar! You need a lockbox for it ;o)

I've got to get with a really good cheddar I guess, since I've never
really got with it. I'm going on a cheese excursion today, to Whole
Foods and maybe I'll try to find some of the "lockbox cheddar".

It's going to be an expensive afternoon, methinks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 11:39:40 -0700, "graham" > wrote:
>
> snip
>>>

>>Not only that but following divorce, I didn't have a lot of "disposable"
>>income so to economise, I bought 4 litre wine "boxes". You can guess the
>>rest!!!!
>>Graham
>>

> I'm sorry, Graham, I didn't know. I hope things are smoothing out.

It was quite a few years ago. We have a civilized relationship, after all,
we have grandchildren{:-)
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013020211271646343-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-02-02 18:10:42 +0000, Janet Bostwick said:
>
>> On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 11:06:01 -0700, "graham" > wrote:
>> snip

>>> Cheshire is a completely different style of cheese to Cheddar. It is
>>> crumbly and tends to be slightly saltier. Gloucester and Leicester
>>> cheeses
>>> these days are not much different to a mild, commercial cheddar.
>>> I used to return from trips to the UK with chunks of genuine, Farmhouse
>>> Cheddar, complete with the rind. Then I discovered the mature Ontario
>>> variety, which is superb in its own right.
>>> BTW, I wondered why the expensive English cheddar was disappearing so
>>> quickly from the fridge. Then I found out that my sons were putting
>>> slices
>>> of it in hamburger buns and nuking them in the mw for quick, cheese melt
>>> sandwiches!!!
>>>

>> Oh, No! not your good cheddar! You need a lockbox for it ;o)

> I've got to get with a really good cheddar I guess, since I've never
> really got with it. I'm going on a cheese excursion today, to Whole Foods
> and maybe I'll try to find some of the "lockbox cheddar".
>
> It's going to be an expensive afternoon, methinks.

Once in a while it's a good thing to treat yourself to something really
good. My parents, who were quite poor, always averred that money spent on
good quality food was never questioned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 11:27:16 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> I've got to get with a really good cheddar I guess, since I've never
> really got with it.

My grandparents loved that really dry English cheddar, but I never
developed a liking for it. Hubby prefers milder, creamier American
style cheddar - but I don't like that either. Haven't found a single
"yellow" cheese that appeals enough to me to buy on purpose.

> I'm going on a cheese excursion today, to Whole
> Foods and maybe I'll try to find some of the "lockbox cheddar".
>
> It's going to be an expensive afternoon, methinks.

If you find a place that gives you tastes, it won't be as expensive as
you think!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 10:45*pm, "pavane" > wrote:

> How interesting. That cheese is produced by Zingerman's, and
> available through their catalog. And Zingerman's also carries
> Stichelton, which really interests me. My tastes in Cheddar
> rise and set with Neal's Yard's Montgomery and Keen's,
> although some very interesting US made wrapped Cheddar
> are appearing, mainly Cabot by Jasper Hills, and Fiscalini,
> both very promising although they need a bit sweeter grass
> going into the cows. Thank you for that information, you
> have opened a few new lines in Cheshire and English Blue
> to be found and followed. And nothing melts like Cheshire...
>
> pavane

It's almost worth moving to Ann arbor for the food. (Shops, not
restaurants). In addition to Zingerman's there's:

Monahan's Seafood, an amazing fish market
Durham's Tracklments, a world class smokery (fish and meats)
Sparrows, As good a butcher as you will ever see

All are within a furlong of each other.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Feb 1, 10:45 pm, "pavane" > wrote:
>>
>> How interesting. That cheese is produced by Zingerman's, and
>> available through their catalog. And Zingerman's also carries
>> Stichelton, which really interests me. My tastes in Cheddar
>> rise and set with Neal's Yard's Montgomery and Keen's,
>> although some very interesting US made wrapped Cheddar
>> are appearing, mainly Cabot by Jasper Hills, and Fiscalini,
>> both very promising although they need a bit sweeter grass
>> going into the cows. Thank you for that information, you
>> have opened a few new lines in Cheshire and English Blue
>> to be found and followed. And nothing melts like Cheshire...
>>
>> pavane

> It's almost worth moving to Ann arbor for the food. (Shops, not
> restaurants). In addition to Zingerman's there's:
>
> Monahan's Seafood, an amazing fish market
> Durham's Tracklments, a world class smokery (fish and meats)
> Sparrows, As good a butcher as you will ever see
>
> All are within a furlong of each other.
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

Yes. I lived there for six months in 1969, all we had were the
Pretzel Bell, Webers and Win Schulers. And a place that
made wonderful hamburgers. I guess I trailblazed.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Feb 1, 10:45 pm, "pavane" > wrote:
>>
>> How interesting. That cheese is produced by Zingerman's, and
>> available through their catalog. And Zingerman's also carries
>> Stichelton, which really interests me. My tastes in Cheddar
>> rise and set with Neal's Yard's Montgomery and Keen's,
>> although some very interesting US made wrapped Cheddar
>> are appearing, mainly Cabot by Jasper Hills, and Fiscalini,
>> both very promising although they need a bit sweeter grass
>> going into the cows. Thank you for that information, you
>> have opened a few new lines in Cheshire and English Blue
>> to be found and followed. And nothing melts like Cheshire...
>>
>> pavane

> It's almost worth moving to Ann arbor for the food. (Shops, not
> restaurants). In addition to Zingerman's there's:
>
> Monahan's Seafood, an amazing fish market
> Durham's Tracklments, a world class smokery (fish and meats)
> Sparrows, As good a butcher as you will ever see
>
> All are within a furlong of each other.
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

Yes. I lived there for six months in 1969, all we had were the
Pretzel Bell, Webers and Win Schulers. And a place that
made wonderful hamburgers. I guess I trailblazed.

pavane

Camembert Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] General Cooking 0 10-04-2010 07:53 PM
Camembert zxcvbob General Cooking 19 10-04-2010 11:36 AM
Pork with Camembert Jen[_5_] Recipes (moderated) 0 09-11-2008 02:22 AM
Brie and Camembert in the US? Sandy General Cooking 14 09-03-2006 06:24 AM