Posted to rec.food.cooking
pavane[_5_] pavane[_5_] is offline

Default Camembert

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On 2/1/13 10:42 AM, gtr wrote:
>
>>> That said, there are a few very good US cheeses.

>> And what are those?

> One opinion:
>
> There are dozens of good (but not great) cheeses made in the US by small
> producers.
>
> Among those in wide distribution, anything from Cowgirl, Rogue, or Jasper
> Hill will be decent.
>
> For our taste, the two best American cheeses both come from Meadow Creek
> Dairy in Virginia: Grayson (which they liken to a Tallegio or Livarot) and
> Appalachian (think Tomme). If you like mature (i.e., stinky) cheeses,
> mature Grayson is sublime.
>
> IMO, much as I love Anchor Steam and the overall contributions of the
> Maytag family, Maytag Blue is an abomination. It tastes like the random
> concoction of an eight year old with his first chemistry set.

Agree with all you have written. Add Marin County Cheese (Rouge et Noir),
Blythedale Camembert, and many of the new Blues (Winter Park Cheese
and many others.) For some reason the US is making very good Blues.
Except, as you note, Maytag. Something went wrong there. Point Reyes
is making the cheese that Maytag started trying to make. And Point Reyes
is a raw milk cheese, btw. Oh, Add Vermont Butter and Cheese Company
in general, and Cypress Grove for all sorts of clever goat cheeses.

pavane