Posted to rec.food.cooking
pltrgyst[_2_] pltrgyst[_2_] is offline

Default Camembert

On 2/1/13 10:42 AM, gtr wrote:

>> That said, there are a few very good US cheeses.

> And what are those?

One opinion:

There are dozens of good (but not great) cheeses made in the US by small
producers.

Among those in wide distribution, anything from Cowgirl, Rogue, or
Jasper Hill will be decent.

For our taste, the two best American cheeses both come from Meadow Creek
Dairy in Virginia: Grayson (which they liken to a Tallegio or Livarot)
and Appalachian (think Tomme). If you like mature (i.e., stinky)
cheeses, mature Grayson is sublime.

IMO, much as I love Anchor Steam and the overall contributions of the
Maytag family, Maytag Blue is an abomination. It tastes like the random
concoction of an eight year old with his first chemistry set.

-- Larry