Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Smoked Turkey Tails

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:35:31 -0500, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 17:44:54 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>Pretty much. About 10% meat, 10% bone, and 80% fat (with some water
>>>in all 3 of them).
>>>

>> And about as much flavor as is found in the entire breast . . with a
>> thigh thrown in for good measure. <g> IMO, of course. I eat
>> ice cream, too. At least there isn't any sugar in a turkey butt.

>I like just marinating or rubbing chicken butts and then just snacking
>on them like that. But I find the turkey butts are just too much fat
>all at once for snacking on. I would slice them up and cook with
>green beans or as the southerners do, with collard or turnip greens.

I don't know if it was the smoking, or if these turkey butts were from
weight-lifting turkeys---

I finally got around to cooking them. A few went in some cabbage
soup-- but I baked the rest.

These were about 1/3 fat, 1/4 bone, 1/10th skin, and 1/3 meat.

The smoking wasn't bad-- but they didn't seem to be cured at all. I'm
going to keep my eyes open for raw ones and smoke up a batch myself.

Jim