Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Smoked Turkey Tails

Hmm-- These popped out at me in the market today so I bought them.
dirt cheap- and if the smoked wings and drums I've gotten there are
any indication, they should be loaded with smoky goodness.

my first thought was to use them in a bean or lentil soup-- but now I
wonder if I should just heat them up and snack on them.

Any smoked turkey tail connoisseurs out there?

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 12:39*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> Hmm-- These popped out at me in the market today so I bought them.
> dirt cheap- and if the smoked wings and drums I've gotten there are
> any indication, they should be loaded with smoky goodness.
>
> my first thought was to use them in a bean or lentil soup-- but now I
> wonder if I should just heat them up and snack on them.
>
> Any smoked turkey tail connoisseurs out there?

They are pure fat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:53:56 PM UTC-6, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Jan 17, 12:39*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>
> > Hmm-- These popped out at me in the market today so I bought them.

> > dirt cheap- and if the smoked wings and drums I've gotten there are

> > any indication, they should be loaded with smoky goodness.

> > my first thought was to use them in a bean or lentil soup-- but now I

> > wonder if I should just heat them up and snack on them.

> > Any smoked turkey tail connoisseurs out there?

> They are pure fat.

Mostly fat, not pure fat. There is muscle in there, and the skin can be nice and crispy.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 12:57*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:53:56 PM UTC-6, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> > On Jan 17, 12:39*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> > > Hmm-- These popped out at me in the market today so I bought them.

> > > dirt cheap- and if the smoked wings and drums I've gotten there are

> > > any indication, they should be loaded with smoky goodness.

> > > my first thought was to use them in a bean or lentil soup-- but now I

> > > wonder if I should just heat them up and snack on them.

> > > Any smoked turkey tail connoisseurs out there?

> > They are pure fat.

> Mostly fat, not pure fat. *There is muscle in there, and the skin can be nice and crispy.
>
> --Bryan

Canned turkey tails are repulsive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo wrote:

> Canned turkey tails are repulsive.

Oh come on. There's no such thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo > wrote:

>On Jan 17, 12:57*pm, Bryan > wrote:

>> > They are pure fat.

>> Mostly fat, not pure fat. *There is muscle in there, and the skin can be nice and crispy.
>>
>> --Bryan

>Canned turkey tails are repulsive.

Couldn't prove it by me- I've never seen canned turkey tails- smoked
or otherwise. These are packed 6 to a pack in a styrofoam meat
tray in the meat dept.

I usually only get 3-4 turkey tails a year- and now I've got 6 all at
once & they are smoked!

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 2:59*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> Chemo > wrote:

> >> Mostly fat, not pure fat. There is muscle in there, and the skin can be nice and crispy.

> >> --Bryan

> >Canned turkey tails are repulsive.

> Couldn't prove it by me- I've never seen canned turkey tails- smoked
> or otherwise. * * * These are packed 6 to a pack in a styrofoam meat
> tray in the meat dept.
>
> I usually only get 3-4 turkey tails a year- and now I've got 6 all at
> once & they are smoked!
>
> Jim

Turkeytailaholic!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 17:44:54 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:53:56 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888 wrote:
>
>> They are pure fat.

>Pretty much. About 10% meat, 10% bone, and 80% fat (with some water
>in all 3 of them).

And about as much flavor as is found in the entire breast . . with a
thigh thrown in for good measure. <g> IMO, of course. I eat
ice cream, too. At least there isn't any sugar in a turkey butt.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:35:31 -0500, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 17:44:54 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>Pretty much. About 10% meat, 10% bone, and 80% fat (with some water
>>>in all 3 of them).
>>>

>> And about as much flavor as is found in the entire breast . . with a
>> thigh thrown in for good measure. <g> IMO, of course. I eat
>> ice cream, too. At least there isn't any sugar in a turkey butt.

>I like just marinating or rubbing chicken butts and then just snacking
>on them like that. But I find the turkey butts are just too much fat
>all at once for snacking on. I would slice them up and cook with
>green beans or as the southerners do, with collard or turnip greens.

I don't know if it was the smoking, or if these turkey butts were from
weight-lifting turkeys---

I finally got around to cooking them. A few went in some cabbage
soup-- but I baked the rest.

These were about 1/3 fat, 1/4 bone, 1/10th skin, and 1/3 meat.

The smoking wasn't bad-- but they didn't seem to be cured at all. I'm
going to keep my eyes open for raw ones and smoke up a batch myself.

Jim
>-sw

smoked pig tails? The Public Library Barbecue 6 07-11-2012 12:22 AM
Smoked turkey ............ so - so Steve B[_13_] Barbecue 23 04-04-2012 11:42 PM
Smoked Turkey Dimitri General Cooking 8 14-12-2005 12:45 AM
Smoked Whole Turkey April W. Barbecue 21 27-08-2004 12:51 AM
Smoked turkey Ivan Weiss Barbecue 4 10-04-2004 08:35 PM