Kenneth

Default loaf drying out while proofing

On 19 Jul 2004 15:41:02 -0700, (Phil) wrote:

>Does anyone know how to prevent a boule from drying out whilst
>proofing in a cloth lined banneton? I recently purchased a banneton
>from Trader Joes, a cloth lined basket type thing (it was cheap...only
>$8). When I tried proofing some loaves in it this weekend, the bottom
>of the dough (the part in contact with the banneton cloth) dried out.
>Not really dry, more like the it became leathery. It rose, but when it
>was baked the skin turned out kind of like cracked porcelain, with
>tiny fissures everywhere.
>
>I'm thinking of wrapping the bottom of the banneton in saran wrap, but
>have also read the archives here and heard that this problem arises
>because of too much flour on the banneton cloth itself.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Phil Reed
>email: yuk7yuk7 at yahoo.com

Hey Phil,

Your banneton is doing just what it should do...

It is supposed to (slightly) dry out the dough that is in contact with
the fabric producing the "leathery" texture that you describe. That
leathery skin allows the baker to slash the (otherwise) more moist and
tender dough producing a pleasing result in the surface of the
finished loaf.

The crackling of the surface is not related to the extent to which the
dough dried out. I believe that it may be a function of the baking
temperature and the length of the bake. That cracked surface is, by
the way, considered very desirable for certain types of breads.

All the best,

--
Kenneth