Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default New Year's food?

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:

: > Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: > : Cheri wrote:
: >
: > : >
: > : > I'm having leftovers from yesterday. Turkey, cauliflower au gratin,
: > : > and green beans almondine. I will also have a cup or so of the
: > : > blackeyed peas I made for today, but I'll skip the cornbread. Happy
: > : > New Year to you and yours Julie.
: > : >
: > : > Cheri
: >
: > : Frozen cod fillets - for various reasons fresh cod is nearly
: > : unavailable.
: >
: > : Heat oven to 200 C (400 F) and grease a pan large enough to contain the
: > : fillets.
: >
: > : Heat oil in a skillet, lower heat as you add vegetables:
: > : Saute for a couple of minutes chopped onion (medium size, or half a
: > : large one) and 1-2 cloves garlic, add a diced celery stalk, a diced
: > : carrot, sliced mushrooms, a tbsp of capers and a handful of pine nuts.
: > : Mix well.
: >
: > : Place fillets (still frozen) in pan, add salt and pepper, put mixture on
: > : top, bake for 20 minutes.
: >
: > : We had some sushi ginger on the side to add flavor.
: >
: > Sounds good! Sometimes I soft-saute vegetables like that in the microwave
: > for a few minutes in some oil. doesn't need much watching and it
: > relatively fast.
: >
: > Wendy

: It was surprisingly bland, actually - I often use butter to saute
: vegetables, but the micro sounds OK, maybe try that sometime. Oh, I have
: actually fried bacon in the microwave! Put the bacon strips between sheets
: of kitchen paper, and watch the oven like a hawk. It works!

On the infrequent occasions that I render chicken fat(used in Jewish
delicacies like chopped liver and Matzo balls, a kind of soup dumpling), I
now do it in the microwave. It is a pain however you do it, but it takes
less time and doesn't leave you with a burnt pot to scrub as you try to
get the onions and pieces of fat browned after the liquid fat is removed.
this step is nevessary to give it the correct flavor of well browned
onions. You just have to make sure that you do it, (even the soft sautees
vegetables) in a closed container.

Wendy