Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Bjørn Steensrud Bjørn Steensrud is offline

Default New Year's food?

W. Baker wrote:

> Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
> : Cheri wrote:
>
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >> Are you making anything special? I plan to open a can of black eyed
> : >> peas and to eat some at some point today but other than that, same
> : >> old here. I
> : >> did make a pot of bean with bacon soup but it's just bleh. And I am
> : >> annoyed at Angela because we bought two very expensive pieces of
> : >> rosemary grilled chicken that were supposed to be her dinner for the
> : >> 31st and the 1st and for some inexplicable reason she put them in my
> : >> mom's fridge and
> : >> left them there. So my mom will be eating them. Maybe. I just hope
> : >> she
> : >> does actually eat them. I had told Angela to put them in the
> : >> insulated
> : >> bag in the back of the van. So how she got, "Put them in grandma's
> : >> fridge" out of that is beyond me. Gah!
> : >>
> : >
> : > I'm having leftovers from yesterday. Turkey, cauliflower au gratin,
> : > and green beans almondine. I will also have a cup or so of the
> : > blackeyed peas I made for today, but I'll skip the cornbread. Happy
> : > New Year to you and yours Julie.
> : >
> : > Cheri
>
> : Frozen cod fillets - for various reasons fresh cod is nearly
> : unavailable.
>
> : Heat oven to 200 C (400 F) and grease a pan large enough to contain the
> : fillets.
>
> : Heat oil in a skillet, lower heat as you add vegetables:
> : Saute for a couple of minutes chopped onion (medium size, or half a
> : large one) and 1-2 cloves garlic, add a diced celery stalk, a diced
> : carrot, sliced mushrooms, a tbsp of capers and a handful of pine nuts.
> : Mix well.
>
> : Place fillets (still frozen) in pan, add salt and pepper, put mixture on
> : top, bake for 20 minutes.
>
> : We had some sushi ginger on the side to add flavor.
>
> Sounds good! Sometimes I soft-saute vegetables like that in the microwave
> for a few minutes in some oil. doesn't need much watching and it
> relatively fast.
>
> Wendy

It was surprisingly bland, actually - I often use butter to saute
vegetables, but the micro sounds OK, maybe try that sometime. Oh, I have
actually fried bacon in the microwave! Put the bacon strips between sheets
of kitchen paper, and watch the oven like a hawk. It works!