Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default miso soup for breakfast

On 11/30/2012 12:05 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote in
> :
>
>> Ha ha, the Egg McMuffin was created as a portable eggs
>> Benedict that you could eaten while driving.

> How can it be an Egg Benedict if there is no hollandaise and the
> eggs are not poached?

It's not a literal translation/transformation. In this case, you can't
use hollandaise because that would make a big mess on your steering
wheel, radio knobs, and seat. A slice of American is used instead.
Poached eggs are difficult to make in a fast food setting. Heck, I can
only get a proper poached egg in a restaurant 50% of the time. A fried
egg with the yoke broken is used instead. It's a reasonable and
practical solution.

The reality is that concessions have to be made for the needs of folks
who eat and drive. To McDonald's credit, they didn't call it an "Egg
McBenedict" - because that would be misleading.