Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default miso soup for breakfast

http://www.thekitchn.com/comfort-foo...or-bre-127434?

I've eaten lots of leftovers for breakfast. Ziti is one of my
favorites. But I've never made soup for breakfast.

Wonder why not? I will rectify that soon.

We have Irish oatmeal 3 times a week-- a coupe days of miso/egg soup
should be a nice alternate.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> http://www.thekitchn.com/comfort-foo...or-bre-127434?
>
> I've eaten lots of leftovers for breakfast. Ziti is one of my
> favorites. But I've never made soup for breakfast.
>
> Wonder why not? I will rectify that soon.
>
> We have Irish oatmeal 3 times a week-- a coupe days of miso/egg soup
> should be a nice alternate.
>
> Jim

Don't forget the rice ball covered

http://japanesefood.about.com/cs/styles/a/breakfast.htm

Onigiri

http://japanesefood.about.com/od/rice/r/riceball.htm

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2012 3:47 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> http://www.thekitchn.com/comfort-foo...or-bre-127434?
>
> I've eaten lots of leftovers for breakfast. Ziti is one of my
> favorites. But I've never made soup for breakfast.
>
> Wonder why not? I will rectify that soon.
>
> We have Irish oatmeal 3 times a week-- a coupe days of miso/egg soup
> should be a nice alternate.
>
> Jim

Miso soup, rice, and a small amount of fish is a common breakfast in
Japan, at least, it used to be. They could be into American style
breakfast these days, still with rice, of course.

It's a great breakfast for old people. I can't stomach much of anything
for breakfast these days and this is pretty light fare. However, the
idea of making miso with chicken stock is pretty repulsive. I'll try to
fix one of these breakfast tomorrow with chunks of raw spicy tuna. Oh boy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote in news:k9b15d$e5i$1
@dont-email.me:

> They could be into American style
> breakfast these days, still with rice, of course.

Egg McRicecake?

--

Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected
from happening.

-- Barbara Tober

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2012 10:57 AM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote in news:k9b15d$e5i$1
> @dont-email.me:
>
>> They could be into American style
>> breakfast these days, still with rice, of course.

> Egg McRicecake?

Ha ha, the Egg McMuffin was created as a portable eggs Benedict that you
could eaten while driving. We have the Spam musubi which I've eaten many
times while driving. It's the perfect travel food. I could slip one in
my pocket and you'd never be able to tell I was packin' a complete lunch
with me. Amazing!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2012 7:47 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> http://www.thekitchn.com/comfort-foo...or-bre-127434?
>
> I've eaten lots of leftovers for breakfast. Ziti is one of my
> favorites. But I've never made soup for breakfast.

We had soup for breakfast a few weeks ago, it was pretty good. I worked
with a few women who had miso soup for breakfast every day. They were
from Vietnam and Cambodia.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote in
:

> Ha ha, the Egg McMuffin was created as a portable eggs
> Benedict that you could eaten while driving.

How can it be an Egg Benedict if there is no hollandaise and the
eggs are not poached?

--

Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected
from happening.

-- Barbara Tober

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> http://www.thekitchn.com/comfort-foo...or-bre-127434?
>
> I've eaten lots of leftovers for breakfast. Ziti is one of my
> favorites. But I've never made soup for breakfast.
>
> Wonder why not? I will rectify that soon.

I've actually eaten some of my homemade veggie soup in the morning, but only
if I'm sick or feeling like I'm coming down with something. I never care to
eat a breakfast in the morning but if I'm feeling bad, I'll eat it to help
the body fight the virus or whatever. That's when I'll take a multi-vitamin
too.

That said, my all-time favorite soup is "Hot and Sour soup." I never leave
any for the next day but if I did have some leftovers, I would definitely go
for it for breakfast. More likely though, I would wake up at 2am or so and
heat it up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:

>On 11/30/2012 3:47 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>> http://www.thekitchn.com/comfort-foo...or-bre-127434?

-snip-

>It's a great breakfast for old people. I can't stomach much of anything
>for breakfast these days and this is pretty light fare. However, the
>idea of making miso with chicken stock is pretty repulsive.

I'm with you there. I usually just use seaweed of some sort--
whatever is open. I do have some Dashi & I use it on occasion.

>I'll try to
>fix one of these breakfast tomorrow with chunks of raw spicy tuna. Oh boy!

Advantage of being surrounded by the sea. [though I'd lean more
toward shellfish for a while if I was there- I'd probably adjust if
the fish was fresh.]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> the Egg McMuffin was created as a portable eggs Benedict that you
> could eaten while driving.

I saw an ad for Hardees the other day. A sliced ribeye steak, egg, and
cheese biscuit. I haven't been to Hardees in years but that sounds very
tempting to me.

Has anyone tried those yet?

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote in :

> I saw an ad for Hardees the other day. A sliced ribeye steak,
> egg, and cheese biscuit. I haven't been to Hardees in years
> but that sounds very tempting to me.
>
> Has anyone tried those yet?

I have made stuff like that...don`t bother going out for stuff I
can make at home.

--

Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected
from happening.

-- Barbara Tober

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2012 1:18 PM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> the Egg McMuffin was created as a portable eggs Benedict that you
>> could eaten while driving.

> I saw an ad for Hardees the other day. A sliced ribeye steak, egg, and
> cheese biscuit. I haven't been to Hardees in years but that sounds very
> tempting to me.
>
> Has anyone tried those yet?
>
> G.

That sounds good. I haven't tried it - because Hardees in on the
mainland! Sonic is on the mainland too. They sure have some goofy
commercials. I wish they wouldn't play 'em here...

What we have here that you probably don't is a teri-beef sandwich. It's
thin slices of teriyak beef on a hamburger bun which, when all the
conditions are right, is a pretty sublime sandwich. I like to stick kim
chee in mine. Too bad hardly anybody serves a kim chee teri-beef
sandwich. Mama mia!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 11/30/2012 10:57 AM, Michel Boucher wrote:
>> dsi1 > wrote in news:k9b15d$e5i$1
>> @dont-email.me:
>>
>>> They could be into American style
>>> breakfast these days, still with rice, of course.

>> Egg McRicecake?
>>

> Ha ha, the Egg McMuffin was created as a portable eggs Benedict that you
> could eaten while driving.

By the franchisee in Santa Barbara so he had something to sell at Breakfast.
The "trick" was the egg mold he invented & had Teflon coated.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 08:47:38 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>http://www.thekitchn.com/comfort-foo...or-bre-127434?
>
>I've eaten lots of leftovers for breakfast. Ziti is one of my
>favorites. But I've never made soup for breakfast.
>
>Wonder why not? I will rectify that soon.
>
>We have Irish oatmeal 3 times a week-- a coupe days of miso/egg soup
>should be a nice alternate.
>
>Jim

I had leftover chilaquiles with eggs for breakfast. I think anything
that sounds good to you should be your breakfast. Even cold leftover
pizza, don't ask me how I know this.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2012 4:51 PM, Dimitri wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> Ha ha, the Egg McMuffin was created as a portable eggs Benedict that
>> you could eaten while driving.

> By the franchisee in Santa Barbara so he had something to sell at
> Breakfast. The "trick" was the egg mold he invented & had Teflon coated.
>
> Dimitri

And the rest is history. That guy should get a Nobel prize for this.
They don't have a prize for breakfast but they should. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:

> > Ha ha, the Egg McMuffin was created as a portable eggs
> > Benedict that you could eaten while driving.

> How can it be an Egg Benedict if there is no hollandaise and the
> eggs are not poached?

Excellent point. You've demolished McDoggie's claim to
restaurateurship for all time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2012 12:05 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote in
> :
>
>> Ha ha, the Egg McMuffin was created as a portable eggs
>> Benedict that you could eaten while driving.

> How can it be an Egg Benedict if there is no hollandaise and the
> eggs are not poached?

It's not a literal translation/transformation. In this case, you can't
use hollandaise because that would make a big mess on your steering
wheel, radio knobs, and seat. A slice of American is used instead.
Poached eggs are difficult to make in a fast food setting. Heck, I can
only get a proper poached egg in a restaurant 50% of the time. A fried
egg with the yoke broken is used instead. It's a reasonable and
practical solution.

The reality is that concessions have to be made for the needs of folks
who eat and drive. To McDonald's credit, they didn't call it an "Egg
McBenedict" - because that would be misleading.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2012 12:32 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> On 11/30/2012 3:47 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>> http://www.thekitchn.com/comfort-foo...or-bre-127434?

> -snip-
>>
>> It's a great breakfast for old people. I can't stomach much of anything
>> for breakfast these days and this is pretty light fare. However, the
>> idea of making miso with chicken stock is pretty repulsive.

> I'm with you there. I usually just use seaweed of some sort--
> whatever is open. I do have some Dashi & I use it on occasion.
>
>> I'll try to
>> fix one of these breakfast tomorrow with chunks of raw spicy tuna. Oh boy!

> Advantage of being surrounded by the sea. [though I'd lean more
> toward shellfish for a while if I was there- I'd probably adjust if
> the fish was fresh.]

There's not too much choices in shellfish over here. There are some
small crabs and the opihi. Here's a link.

http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

The truth is that opihi that large is unheard of on Oahu these days and
you'd better keep that spot secret. You can find big ones on the other
less populated islands. We always have reports of opihi pickers being
swept away into the sea after being hit by waves. It's a occupational
hazard.

Keeping Miso Soup j t brooks Vegan 0 27-10-2013 11:04 PM
Miso Soup eatwell General Cooking 0 11-01-2007 03:02 AM
Miso Mushroom Soup Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 30-04-2006 02:57 AM
Miso Soup (5) collection MacLeod, Kathleen Recipes (moderated) 0 07-04-2004 04:50 AM
miso soup ::^-^:: Nikolaas Debeuf Asian Cooking 20 07-04-2004 04:09 AM