Default Water (box) or not?

"M&M" > wrote in message

> On 14-Jul-2004, " BOB" > wrote:
>
> > Dave Bugg wrote:

> > > I believe the biggest determiner of meat staying moist is to keep the
> > > holding temperature consistent around 141 - 146F and use a good,

airtight
> > > holding oven (whether or not it's your pit) that allows as little air
> > > movement as possible. I don't believe humidifiers do much at all.

> > I always thought (and have been told, many times) that the water box was

so that
> > there would be hot water available for cleaning, washing, etc. *NOT* to

steam
> > the meat.
> >
> > BOB

> What BOB said;
> Good Lord. I've always thought that youth is wasted on young people.

Kitchen
> stoves in the past always had a water reservoir, but it didn't have

anything to
> do with cooking. It was strictly there to make hot water as is the case

today.
> Cooking over a weekend in the outback, without benefit of running water or

> water heater can be a bitch. 8 or ten gallons of hot water from your

mobile pit
> is a godsend.
> --
> M&M ("I'm over the hill and picking up speed, but my brakes are shot")

I can see the benefit of having hot water. The pit designs that I have seen
have an open water tank (picture an open suitcase on top of the fire box
with the half on the fire box covered, but half in the smoking pit uncovered
so steam can "moisten" the meat). I don't think that would be good for hot
water uses if you mean washing, etc. However, a little bit of know how
could have a similar situation with a closed water tank for the potable
water source. Thanks for the opinions and insights.