Default Water (box) or not?

I thought I would poll the group for their opinion on whether or not to
build a water box or tank for steam purposes in a mobile bbq pit. I have
friends who have made pits and included a water box so that the meat will
stay moist. Others say good bbq, cooked right, is moist without all the
steam. What say y'all?

Thanks in advance for your kind, thoughtful replies...

Al Gartner

I've just recently moved over from water in the pan to sand in the pan.
There's been no discernable difference where the moisture of the meat is
concerned. From what I understand, the water is there as a temperature
buffer, not as a mosturizer. I also found that with going to sand - I get
better heat control than with H2o. Covering the sand with a bit of
aluminium foil (I use a vertical) also keeps the water pan a lot cleaner.
Plus I don't have to worry about 'drying' out and having the smoker temp get
out of control.

I imagine you could use rock or bricks, quarry tile, ceramic briquettes -
anything that will absorb and hold on to heat for a while.

Cheers,

-a.

> wrote in message
> I thought I would poll the group for their opinion on whether or not to
> build a water box or tank for steam purposes in a mobile bbq pit. I have
> friends who have made pits and included a water box so that the meat will
> stay moist. Others say good bbq, cooked right, is moist without all the
> steam. What say y'all?
>
> Thanks in advance for your kind, thoughtful replies...

Al Gartner

I've just recently moved over from water in the pan to sand in the pan.
There's been no discernable difference where the moisture of the meat is
concerned. From what I understand, the water is there as a temperature
buffer, not as a mosturizer. I also found that with going to sand - I get
better heat control than with H2o. Covering the sand with a bit of
aluminium foil (I use a vertical) also keeps the water pan a lot cleaner.
Plus I don't have to worry about 'drying' out and having the smoker temp get
out of control.

I imagine you could use rock or bricks, quarry tile, ceramic briquettes -
anything that will absorb and hold on to heat for a while.

Cheers,

-a.

> wrote in message
> I thought I would poll the group for their opinion on whether or not to
> build a water box or tank for steam purposes in a mobile bbq pit. I have
> friends who have made pits and included a water box so that the meat will
> stay moist. Others say good bbq, cooked right, is moist without all the
> steam. What say y'all?
>
> Thanks in advance for your kind, thoughtful replies...

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Al Gartner"
> wrote:

> I've just recently moved over from water in the pan to sand in the pan.
> There's been no discernable difference where the moisture of the meat is
> concerned. From what I understand, the water is there as a temperature
> buffer, not as a mosturizer. I also found that with going to sand - I get
> better heat control than with H2o. Covering the sand with a bit of
> aluminium foil (I use a vertical) also keeps the water pan a lot cleaner.
> Plus I don't have to worry about 'drying' out and having the smoker temp get
> out of control.
>
> I imagine you could use rock or bricks, quarry tile, ceramic briquettes -
> anything that will absorb and hold on to heat for a while.

I can think of two benefits of water in the water pan.
1. You can add cold water if you're having a temp spike to bring the
temp down.
2. Grease fires don't happen.

monroe(exECB jockey)

"M&M" > wrote in message

> On 14-Jul-2004, " BOB" > wrote:
>
> > Dave Bugg wrote:

> > > I believe the biggest determiner of meat staying moist is to keep the
> > > holding temperature consistent around 141 - 146F and use a good,

airtight
> > > holding oven (whether or not it's your pit) that allows as little air
> > > movement as possible. I don't believe humidifiers do much at all.

> > I always thought (and have been told, many times) that the water box was

so that
> > there would be hot water available for cleaning, washing, etc. *NOT* to

steam
> > the meat.
> >
> > BOB

> What BOB said;
> Good Lord. I've always thought that youth is wasted on young people.

Kitchen
> stoves in the past always had a water reservoir, but it didn't have

anything to
> do with cooking. It was strictly there to make hot water as is the case

today.
> Cooking over a weekend in the outback, without benefit of running water or

> water heater can be a bitch. 8 or ten gallons of hot water from your

mobile pit
> is a godsend.
> --
> M&M ("I'm over the hill and picking up speed, but my brakes are shot")

I can see the benefit of having hot water. The pit designs that I have seen
have an open water tank (picture an open suitcase on top of the fire box
with the half on the fire box covered, but half in the smoking pit uncovered
so steam can "moisten" the meat). I don't think that would be good for hot
water uses if you mean washing, etc. However, a little bit of know how
could have a similar situation with a closed water tank for the potable
water source. Thanks for the opinions and insights.

"M&M" > wrote in message

> On 14-Jul-2004, " BOB" > wrote:
>
> > Dave Bugg wrote:

> > > I believe the biggest determiner of meat staying moist is to keep the
> > > holding temperature consistent around 141 - 146F and use a good,

airtight
> > > holding oven (whether or not it's your pit) that allows as little air
> > > movement as possible. I don't believe humidifiers do much at all.

> > I always thought (and have been told, many times) that the water box was

so that
> > there would be hot water available for cleaning, washing, etc. *NOT* to

steam
> > the meat.
> >
> > BOB

> What BOB said;
> Good Lord. I've always thought that youth is wasted on young people.

Kitchen
> stoves in the past always had a water reservoir, but it didn't have

anything to
> do with cooking. It was strictly there to make hot water as is the case

today.
> Cooking over a weekend in the outback, without benefit of running water or

> water heater can be a bitch. 8 or ten gallons of hot water from your

mobile pit
> is a godsend.
> --
> M&M ("I'm over the hill and picking up speed, but my brakes are shot")

I can see the benefit of having hot water. The pit designs that I have seen
have an open water tank (picture an open suitcase on top of the fire box
with the half on the fire box covered, but half in the smoking pit uncovered
so steam can "moisten" the meat). I don't think that would be good for hot
water uses if you mean washing, etc. However, a little bit of know how
could have a similar situation with a closed water tank for the potable
water source. Thanks for the opinions and insights.

Who Was It That Recently Asked About A Hot Water Heater -- I'm In Hot Water! Brooklyn1 General Cooking 85 17-03-2013 05:17 PM
Tap Water VS Bottled Water [email protected] Tea 91 20-08-2008 07:50 PM
Bottled water, is it better than tap water? Janet Bostwick General Cooking 52 09-03-2006 05:38 PM
Hot water RN Tea 5 03-04-2004 08:53 AM
Water for Tea Tea Tea 4 11-02-2004 12:30 PM