Al Gartner

Default Water (box) or not?

I've just recently moved over from water in the pan to sand in the pan.
There's been no discernable difference where the moisture of the meat is
concerned. From what I understand, the water is there as a temperature
buffer, not as a mosturizer. I also found that with going to sand - I get
better heat control than with H2o. Covering the sand with a bit of
aluminium foil (I use a vertical) also keeps the water pan a lot cleaner.
Plus I don't have to worry about 'drying' out and having the smoker temp get
out of control.

I imagine you could use rock or bricks, quarry tile, ceramic briquettes -
anything that will absorb and hold on to heat for a while.

Cheers,

-a.