Tyler Hopper

Default Water (box) or not?

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message

> > I thought I would poll the group for their opinion on whether or not
> > to build a water box or tank for steam purposes in a mobile bbq pit.
> > I have friends who have made pits and included a water box so that
> > the meat will stay moist. Others say good bbq, cooked right, is
> > moist without all the steam. What say y'all?

> I believe the biggest determiner of meat staying moist is to keep the
> holding temperature consistent around 141 - 146F and use a good, airtight
> holding oven (whether or not it's your pit) that allows as little air
> movement as possible. I don't believe humidifiers do much at all.

IMO water pans do nothing to moisten meat. Have you ever had a meat that was
boiled yet was still dry in the middle?

I used to put all kinds of crap in water pans and never could discern a distinct
flavor addition. Their main function is mass to even out heat which can be done
with other things like sand, rocks, pizza stones, etc.

_________
ht_redneck