Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default Sticker shock

On Sunday, September 2, 2012 4:16:34 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> cwdjrxyz wrote:
>

> > I just received an offer from FinestWine for a few wines. All prices

> > are listed in Euros per bottle. Also there are shipping charges for

> > orders under 600 Euros. In the EU one must also pay about 19% VAT.

> > Petrus 1990 (a Parker 100/100 wine) - 2990;

> > Petrus 1971 - 1600;

> > Petrus 1995 - 1490;

> > Vega Sicilia Unico 1922 - 1600;

> > Lafite-Rothschild 1975 - 650;

> > I bought a case of the 1971 Petrus in the mid 1970s for around US$30

> > per bottle and still have 9 bottles that have been stored properly. I

> > guess I will have to get along with that, considering the prices given

> > above. I have a few bottles of the 1975 Lafite, and it has not

> > impressed me much. If I were buying it now, I can think of many other

> > ways I could spend 650 Euros that would bring more pleasure.

> Depending on your own interests, you could consider selling those wines
>
> on the aftermarket to fund the purchase of other wines that you might
>
> enjoy more. IIRC, Dale has some experience with that '75 Lafite and
>
> came to a similar conclusion as you.
>

> Mark Lipton

I like the 75 Lafite, but it's certainly not a topflight first. And definitely not worth that kind of coin. Though this isn't apparently a bargain seller- WMJ lists average as $450, and that includes all premiums.
I've only sold wines where a friend really wanted a wine. But if I had 1975 Lafite and thought I could clear $350, I'd be tempted.