Old 04-09-2012, 06:11 PM posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default Sticker shock

On Sunday, September 2, 2012 4:16:34 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
cwdjrxyz wrote:

I just received an offer from FinestWine for a few wines. All prices

are listed in Euros per bottle. Also there are shipping charges for

orders under 600 Euros. In the EU one must also pay about 19% VAT.

Petrus 1990 (a Parker 100/100 wine) - 2990;

Petrus 1971 - 1600;

Petrus 1995 - 1490;

Vega Sicilia Unico 1922 - 1600;

Lafite-Rothschild 1975 - 650;

I bought a case of the 1971 Petrus in the mid 1970s for around US$30

per bottle and still have 9 bottles that have been stored properly. I

guess I will have to get along with that, considering the prices given

above. I have a few bottles of the 1975 Lafite, and it has not

impressed me much. If I were buying it now, I can think of many other

ways I could spend 650 Euros that would bring more pleasure.

Depending on your own interests, you could consider selling those wines

on the aftermarket to fund the purchase of other wines that you might

enjoy more. IIRC, Dale has some experience with that '75 Lafite and

came to a similar conclusion as you.

Mark Lipton

I like the 75 Lafite, but it's certainly not a topflight first. And definitely not worth that kind of coin. Though this isn't apparently a bargain seller- WMJ lists average as $450, and that includes all premiums.
I've only sold wines where a friend really wanted a wine. But if I had 1975 Lafite and thought I could clear $350, I'd be tempted.