Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Beyond Meat chicken substitute

"Billy" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> > basilisk > wrote:
>> >

>> > : http://beyondmeat.com/products/
>> >
>> > : This might be useful, I haven't tried the product,
>> > : it is low carb for a meat substitute.
>> >
>> > : basilisk
>> >
>> > : --
>> > : A wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse
>> >
>> > For reasons of not mixing meat and milk in a recipe for religious
>> > reasons,
>> > I occaionally use a meat substitute, but not often a dairy one, such as
>> > soy or almond milk. I find the Trader Joe's Beefless beef good in
>> > mixed
>> > dishes as it adds a good, meaty texture. I used it last in a moussaka
>> > arecipe as I was tired of the dairy substitutes and wanted real dairy,
>> > and
>> > it worked out well. If ou have no religious, allergic or vegetarian
>> > reason for using these, I see no reason to just use them.

>> I see no reason to use them period! There are plenty of things that are
>> not
>> meat that are actually good tasting, whole foods.
>>
>> I did buy Boca burgers in the past. They did taste good and we ate a lot
>> of
>> them. That was before I realized how bad soy was for the thyroid. You
>> couldn't pay me to eat them now. Once in a while I will buy Sunshine
>> Burgers. They're made of beans but not soybeans. I actually haven't
>> bought
>> any in a while. While I do like them, it is cheaper just to buy some
>> beans
>> and eat those. And I'm not picky like that. I'd just as soon eat the
>> beans
>> straight from the can.

> Salt and all?

I don't eat the liquid from the can. I do not buy the low sodium because
they don't taste good to me. I have tried to rinse them but I find that to
be really nasty. It causes a lot of foam to come off of the beans and you
have to use sooo much water until they stop foaming, it's hardly worth it.
I don't notice a taste difference in doing that. I have never had a problem
with overly salty canned beans until my husband went on a small red bean
kick. He was eating at least a can daily so I really stocked up. At that
point in time, the only ones I could find were the Western Family brand sold
here only at Central Market, a store where I rarely go. Which is why I
stocked up.

And then stopped eat them totally. I decided I may as well eat them so they
didn't go to waste. But they were soooo salty I just couldn't stand them.
My husband always adds a ton of salt to his food and has only ever once
complained of food being too salty. That was when I cooked some fresh green
beans and had an accident with the salt. It was many years ago now. I
don't remember the particulars. I tried to do damage control but I did warn
him that they might be too salty. But he didn't listen and salted them
anyway. Sadly I ruined Angela on eating fresh beans because they were just
that bad.

What I wound up doing with the small red beans was to drain them really well
then add them to some Spanish rice. I did not add any additional salt to
the rice. Or I would add them to soup. And then they were fine.

I have to think that when I got those beans there was some sort of screw up
when they canned them. Because I have bought them since and they were not
like that.

I have bought several brands of organic canned beans because I do wish I
could eat organic all the time. But they were just not very good. They
either tasted like there was no salt at all in them or they were pretty
mushy. I recently bought some boxed beans from Whole Foods. Bad, bad, bad.
They were very expensive too! I have one box left and I intend to put them
in soup. Maybe they won't seem so bad that way.