Old 29-08-2012, 10:17 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1988 Chateau Lynch Bages

On 8/29/12 1:23 PM, Bi!! wrote:
Opened last night with grilled local lamb chops 1988 Chateau Lynch
Bages. Interestingly enough I noticed that htis wine still had the
original price tag on it showing a price of $28.99 which no doubt was
a lot for a bottle of wine circa 1990. The wine was still perfect.
Still a ruby red in the glass with just a hint of pink at the rim.
Nose of cedar and mildewed wood which blew off in a few minutes and
after an hour in the decanter it was frangrant with spice box, black
cherry and cassis with a fair amount fo cedar notes. THe wne was
smooth as silk with just a hint of tannic grip on the finish. Plenty
of black fruits and cassis with tobacco and sandalwood flavors at the
end. Unmistakable as LB. Nice bottle. "A"

Great note, Bill. I've really liked the '88 right bank Bdx that I've
had, including this wine some years ago. Regarding the price, though: I
recall shelling out $40 for the '86 Gruaud-Larose not long after
release, so $28.99 in 1990 for Lynch-Bages doesn't sound bad at all.

Mark Lipton