Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1988 Chateau Lynch Bages

Opened last night with grilled local lamb chops 1988 Chateau Lynch Bages. Interestingly enough I noticed that htis wine still had the original price tag on it showing a price of $28.99 which no doubt was a lot for a bottle of wine circa 1990. The wine was still perfect. Still a ruby red in the glass with just a hint of pink at the rim. Nose of cedar and mildewed wood which blew off in a few minutes and after an hour in the decanter it was frangrant with spice box, black cherry and cassis with a fair amount fo cedar notes. THe wne was smooth as silk with just a hint of tannic grip on the finish. Plenty of black fruits and cassis with tobacco and sandalwood flavors at the end. Unmistakable as LB. Nice bottle. "A"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/29/12 1:23 PM, Bi!! wrote:
> Opened last night with grilled local lamb chops 1988 Chateau Lynch
> Bages. Interestingly enough I noticed that htis wine still had the
> original price tag on it showing a price of $28.99 which no doubt was
> a lot for a bottle of wine circa 1990. The wine was still perfect.
> Still a ruby red in the glass with just a hint of pink at the rim.
> Nose of cedar and mildewed wood which blew off in a few minutes and
> after an hour in the decanter it was frangrant with spice box, black
> cherry and cassis with a fair amount fo cedar notes. THe wne was
> smooth as silk with just a hint of tannic grip on the finish. Plenty
> of black fruits and cassis with tobacco and sandalwood flavors at the
> end. Unmistakable as LB. Nice bottle. "A"

Great note, Bill. I've really liked the '88 right bank Bdx that I've
had, including this wine some years ago. Regarding the price, though: I
recall shelling out $40 for the '86 Gruaud-Larose not long after
release, so $28.99 in 1990 for Lynch-Bages doesn't sound bad at all.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:18:29 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:

> Great note, Bill. I've really liked the '88 right bank Bdx that I've
>
> had, including this wine some years ago.

Damn, they moved Pauillac?

Good note, Bill. I'm generally a fan of 88 (you just need to realize the style), and the 88 has shown well in tastings- it shared WOTN for me (with the 85)in a vertical tasting of all the serious vintages 1970-2001
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:18:29 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
>> Great note, Bill. I've really liked the '88 right bank Bdx that
>> I've
>>
>> had, including this wine some years ago.

> Damn, they moved Pauillac?

Gah!! My dyslexic brain at work again.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 29, 11:47*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:18:29 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> >> Great note, Bill. *I've really liked the '88 right bank Bdx that
> >> I've

> >> had, including this wine some years ago.

> > Damn, they moved Pauillac?

> Gah!! My dyslexic brain at work again.
>
> Mark Lipton

I figured that was a slip. Nice catch Dale! :-)

Sometimes it's hard to remember just how far wine prices have gone
until you look back. I just checked and futures price on 2010 LB is
$160. In any case the wine was good, probably won't get much better
and stylistically it's in my sweet spot.

Last 1990 Lynch Bages Bi!! Wine 5 24-04-2013 02:09 PM
1996 Chateau Lynch Bages Bi!! Wine 1 20-05-2009 04:39 PM
1996 Chateau Lynch Bages Bi!! Wine 4 27-03-2009 06:03 PM
2001 Chateau Lynch Bages Bi!! Wine 0 10-12-2007 02:00 PM
TN:1990 Lynch Bages Bi!! Wine 2 18-02-2007 01:17 AM