Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Anyone know how to keep a basil plant going?

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 16:54:11 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>I have had parsley producing for months, but wonder what the technique
>is for basil. I bought a full plant in supermkt tda, but want to keep
>it producing too. TIA

Do not let it go to flower. Pinch off any flower buds and it'll last
much, much longer. In fact, when you want leaves, lop off the top of
the biggest stem. It should send out side shoots in response. That
too, will make it last longer.

It'll do better outdoors if you can keep it there, too.

By the way, standard basil grows like a weed, so if you have any room
in the garden at all, or a 6" or greater flower pot, toss in some
seeds and stand back.

I have 4-5 different basils growing out there right now.

Boron