Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default At what time of day do you decide what's for supper?

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:46:34 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
>pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
>ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
>Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
>ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
>relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
>started this plan.
>
>Is this your routine or what?

It's rare I decide last minute. I typically have my main meals
thought out some three days in advance. And I always prepare enough
so that there are plenty of left overs (they are not really left overs
since they are planned), so even if I decide I don't want what I
planned I have a freezer full of choices. I hate having to cook from
scratch every day. Tomorrow I plan on buying the fixings for salad,
but I'll make enough for at least three days... very easy to change it
up last minutes with the addition of pasta, beans, tuna, hard eggs,
boiled potatoes, cheese, cold cuts, whatever you dream up... a salad
is a great way to use real left overs. I think that each time one
cooks make lots, then there is rarely a day when dinner has to be
figured out last minute... cooking lots is also a good way to reduce
the grocery bill.