Old 29-06-2012, 12:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default At what time of day do you decide what's for supper?

I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
started this plan.

Is this your routine or what?

Old 29-06-2012, 12:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
started this plan.

Is this your routine or what?

Everyone needs to find what works for themselves. We like to make more
than we need so that leftovers are an option. My wife usually gives me
a shopping list that I fill on Monday and, e.g., I'll buy 2-1/2 pounds
of ground meat from which she'll make some ground beef, some burgers,
and some Sloppy Joe, and then we have the leftovers for quick dinners,
e.g., the Sloppy Joe on a roll, heat, and you're done, or the ground
beef in a soft tortilla with ground cheese and a few veggies.

-S-

Old 29-06-2012, 01:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
started this plan.
Is this your routine or what?

I'm sure you're making fun of somebody, but I have no idea who it
might be.

Old 29-06-2012, 02:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/06/2012 7:46 PM, Kalmia wrote:
I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
started this plan.

Is this your routine or what?

My wife usually remembers to take some meat out of the freezer. As
supper time approaches we think about what to do with it. It will depend
on what fresh vegetables we have on hand. If there are no fresh
vegetables we switch to plan B and look at frozen vegetables.
Old 29-06-2012, 02:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:46:34 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
wrote:

I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
started this plan.

Is this your routine or what?

It's rare I decide last minute. I typically have my main meals
thought out some three days in advance. And I always prepare enough
so that there are plenty of left overs (they are not really left overs
since they are planned), so even if I decide I don't want what I
planned I have a freezer full of choices. I hate having to cook from
scratch every day. Tomorrow I plan on buying the fixings for salad,
but I'll make enough for at least three days... very easy to change it
up last minutes with the addition of pasta, beans, tuna, hard eggs,
boiled potatoes, cheese, cold cuts, whatever you dream up... a salad
is a great way to use real left overs. I think that each time one
cooks make lots, then there is rarely a day when dinner has to be
figured out last minute... cooking lots is also a good way to reduce
the grocery bill.

Old 29-06-2012, 04:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" wrote in message
I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
started this plan.

Is this your routine or what?

Depends on how our schedule is going. At times I plan out all of the meals
for the week prior to shopping. I do the bulk of the shopping on Friday but
I don't buy the meat at that store. I usually buy that on Sat. or Sun. Not
that we have meat every night, because we don't.

Right now I don't really have to do that. My daughter is only taking dance
classes two days of the week but she is there for many hours. We need a
quick meal after. Tonight she had a toasted cheese sandwich. I had a can
of bean soup. And we had raw veggies. I have already planned tomorrow's
meal because I have some food I am trying to use up. Will be a tuna
casserole for her, using spaghetti. I will have a similar casserole but
with ground beef and beef gravy. I have boxed gravy that I need to use up.

What I do is go through the cupboards every once in a while and pull out
anything that is close to expiring. Then I plan to make something to use it
up.

Currently it is just the two of us. I just have her look for whatever looks
good to her in the store. She is on the South Beach diet so that severely
limits her choices. Mainly whole wheat pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes,
beans, any kind of meat or fish (although she dislikes most fish), cheese,
eggs, fruit and whatever veggies she wants.

I am easy. When it's just me, I rarely cook. If I do cook for myself I
will just make a big pot of soup or chili and just eat that all week. Or I
will have taco salads, which I guess isn't really cooking except for the
meat part. Otherwise I will have peanut butter and jelly, hummus and flat
bread, canned bean soup (like tonight) or canned beans in taco shells or on
tortillas. I eat plenty of raw veggies. We always have raw veggies in this
house.

All this will change when my husband gets home. Currently things are up in
the air because he has yet to get a job. He is retiring from the military.
I suppose the type of food I fix for him will depend on what his current
weight is and/or what kind of job he gets and when he gets off of work.

At first when he gets home it will be a big push to eat up all that we have
in the freezer that my daughter and I can not currently eat. Like the Amy's
bean burritos. And there are a few small things like little pizzas and hot
pockets. Not his favorite foods but I really need to clean out that freezer
in the garage so I can defrost it while the weather is warm. I also bought
some whole wheat thin pizza crusts at World Market and also some sweet
potato gnocchi.

Then I will settle into some kind of routine. But I will probably plan
things out in advance by at least 2-3 days.

I am mostly a planning kind of person. I do have a few meals I can pull
together quickly if I need to because I always have those things in the
house. Some kind of sandwich, hummus with flat bread or veggies, bean
tacos, some kind of pasta, some kind of rice dish. But my husband and
daughter do tire of these things so I am constantly on the lookout for new
meals to fix.

As a general rule, I do not like to keep meat in the freezer. I will keep
some cooked ground beef, cooked seasoned taco meat, cooked burger patties
and chicken. That's about it. I don't like to freeze raw meat and will
only do it if I have some kind of meat that's about to go bad and I don't
have time to cook it. Or if we have been snowed in and can't get to a
proper grocery store. The health food store around the corner from us does
sell really good organic meat but they keep it frozen.

Old 29-06-2012, 06:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I always plan our supper meal in the morning, in case I have to take
meat out of the freezer to thaw, or go to the store for certain
ingredients, etc. When it comes to meal planning I've always been
organized, but not so much about other things.

Judy

Old 29-06-2012, 09:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
started this plan.

Is this your routine or what?

I took chicken pieces out of the freezer around 4PM today and they
were ready to cook a couple of hours later... but I prefer to have
dinner later than most people do.

Old 29-06-2012, 10:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Kalmia wrote:

Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
started this plan.

Bah! I generally wake up that way. This week, I've been going through
old freezer meat after I wake up. I cooked pork loin slices from July of
last year tonight in some sort of marinated wok concoction. My wife said
it was "not her favorite" which is the kiss of death for further
attempts.

Is this your routine or what?

I vow to quit feeding DW old freezer meat for a year. There's only a
couple of days to go before last year's meat is gone. It's really hard
to sort out packages of this and that and figure out what to cook.
I ain't promising anything.

leo
Old 29-06-2012, 10:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
started this plan.

Is this your routine or what?

No routine he some times I decide it in the morning, other times later,
other times I don't know what I'll eat until it's supper time. In the latter
case I usually go for cheeses and cold cuts, or in these days I take a tour
to the little veggie garden and pick up some lattuce add a tomato and enjoy
a red & green salad.

Old 29-06-2012, 12:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" wrote in message
I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
started this plan.

Is this your routine or what?

It depends on the day. For example, yesterday when I woke up I knew I
wanted to make a pot of Red Beans & Rice for dinner. I knew this because
the thread on "Mexican rice & beans" set off a craving, although not for the
Tex-Mex type. I don't wake up every day with a meal plan in mind. What
sounded really good the day before (or even that morning) isn't necessarily
going to have the same appeal by dinner time. I try to plan ahead but it
doesn't always work out that way. How's that for a non-answer? LOL

Jill

Old 29-06-2012, 12:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
started this plan.

Is this your routine or what?

It's rare I decide last minute. I typically have my main meals
thought out some three days in advance. And I always prepare enough
so that there are plenty of left overs (they are not really left overs
since they are planned), so even if I decide I don't want what I
planned I have a freezer full of choices. I hate having to cook from
scratch every day. (snippage)
I think that each time one cooks make lots, then there is rarely a day when
dinner has to be
figured out last minute... cooking lots is also a good way to reduce
the grocery bill.

I don't plan three days ahead, but I definitely cook enough to have complete
meals stored in the freezer. No last-minute shopping required. I have
freezer/dishwasher safe divided/portioned plates with snap-on lids. Like
this:

http://www.collectionsetc.com/Produc...mr:referralID=

or Tiny URL:

http://tinyurl.com/75q4te9

They stack easily on the freezer shelf. Each is clearly labelled so if I
want, say, corned beef & cabbage with new potatoes, I just reach in and grab
it. Thaw, reheat in the microwave. Dinner is served! (Of course not
everyone has the freezer space for this.)

Jill

Old 29-06-2012, 01:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2012 6:46 PM, Kalmia wrote:
I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
started this plan.

Is this your routine or what?

We decide during breakfast.

George L
Old 29-06-2012, 04:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 8:32*pm, George M. Middius wrote:
Kalmia wrote:
I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. *I'm sick of panicking at 4
pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
relaxed day. *I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
started this plan.
Is this your routine or what?

I'm sure you're making fun of somebody, but I have no idea who it
might be.

Why don't you stop trying so hard to be a dick?
Old 29-06-2012, 04:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 07:47:41 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I plan most meals around what's on sale, and for meats I'm a fan of
those "Family" size packs, they save money and there's enough for
several meals... like with skinless/boneless chicken breasts I'll cook
2-3 packs at once; slice into cutlets, bread, fry, and freeze. They're
very good in sandwiches, with pasta, or just plain in a salad. It's
not much more effort to fry two pounds of cutlets as ten, because it's
the same clean up.

I have
freezer/dishwasher safe divided/portioned plates with snap-on lids. Like
this:

http://www.collectionsetc.com/Produc...mr:referralID=

or Tiny URL:

http://tinyurl.com/75q4te9

They stack easily on the freezer shelf. Each is clearly labelled so if I
want, say, corned beef & cabbage with new potatoes, I just reach in and grab
it. Thaw, reheat in the microwave. Dinner is served! (Of course not
everyone has the freezer space for this.)

I use the rectangular containers (Glad), supposed to be disposable but
they last through many uses and are dishwasher safe.

I can't decide... jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 16 25-07-2016 01:40 PM
Please help me decide Zz Yzx Barbecue 53 22-12-2011 12:23 AM
Please help me decide.... Zz Yzx General Cooking 1 10-12-2011 11:11 AM
supper time! [email protected] General 12 19-03-2008 11:22 PM