Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Another ban on Big Gulps!

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > When we had only horses and buggies no one needed a driver's lisence.
: > When automobiles came in the government decided we needed lisences and
: > made a law that said(if you remember your book you got when first applying
: > for a learner's permit) Driving is a priviledge, not a right. to earn the
: > priviledge you have to pass a test and then continue to drive safely(not
: > too many tickets). What gave the government the right to pass that law?

: What gave them the right to pass *any* law? But making laws about food and
: drink (alcohol excepted) is wrong, IMO. Now I have no qualms with them
: saying that the manufacturers have to list ingredients or allergens. But to
: tell us what we can and can not buy? I'm not even sure I agree with the ban
: in NY on trans-fats. People know what they are. If they choose to eat
: them. Well... That's their choice.

: Why is alcohol allowed? Isn't it a drug? Shouldn't it be treated as such?
: I think so but I'm not in charge.

: Heck at the rate they are going they are going to ban any food that has more
: than a certain number of grams of sugar per serving. Next they might even
: monitor our carb intake! And then what? Fried foods? Butter?

: I can even understand it if they find something to be unsafe. I am thinking
: of cocaine that used to be put in Coca Cola. Yes, it has its uses. But
: shouldn't be available OTC. Or Sarsparilla or however you spell it. They
: found that to be harmful.

: But to say that you can buy a food or drink but you can only buy so much at
: once? Beyond ridiculous. Ban the damned stuff or put a warming label on
: it. But don't treat us like children.
: > We accepted it because it seemed clear that something was needed.
: >
: > thisis where it starts, with someone getting a bright idea of how to save
: > the health of individuals and money (via the health care system) for the
: > citizens who have to pay the health care costs of the indigent.
: >
: > Wendy

: That isn't going to help. Everyone will now run out and get a Soda Stream.
: Then they can suck down as much HFCS or Splenda as they want.

But a lot of children are drinking large amounts of the stuff or eating
those huge buckets of glopped up popcorn at teh movies.

If you want you can buy a cold 2 liter bottle of soda and drink it down,
but not at a fod stand in a big bucket with a straw to just gulp down.

Wendy