Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default Types of Sugar-Cane-Based "Natural" Sugars

Steve Freides wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ned_sweeteners
>
> In my thread on home-making syrups, I mentioned using Turbinado sugar
> and Jim Elbrecht asked if I'd tried Panela, a natural sugar that comes
> in solid block form and is native to the cuisine of several Central and
> South American countries. This got me looking for Panela - I couldn't
> find it locally, however.
>
> This also got me reading, and yesterday I was able to find Demerara
> Sugar in the local Whole Foods, although it's not marketed as such. The
> package says Raw Cane Sugar from Malawi, but the ingredients list says,
> in rather small print, Raw Cane Demerara Sugar.
>
> I held it up next to the Turbinado Sugar they also sell there, and this
> looked a little darker in color. I decided to give it a try; I haven't
> used it yet.
>
> I confess a certain admittedly nerdy fascination with all these
> different names for products that are obviously similar although there
> may be some differences between them.
>
> I think Muscovado sugar may be my next type to try if I can find it.
>
> If anyone has any observations on using this different, cane-based
> sugars, please feel free to chime in. So far as I'm aware, "brown"
> sugar that's sold in the US can be refined sugar with the "brown" added
> back in, so I'm avoiding that. See
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sugar
>
> for more.
>
> -S-

I mentioned jaggery a while ago. It is available at Indian
stores. Note that not all jaggery is created equal, and I am not
just speaking of the difference between that made of sugar cane
and that which is obtained form palms. The first kind I obtained
was divine, but I can't figure out where I got it or whether it is
still being produced.
--
Jean B.