Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Types of Sugar-Cane-Based "Natural" Sugars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ned_sweeteners

In my thread on home-making syrups, I mentioned using Turbinado sugar
and Jim Elbrecht asked if I'd tried Panela, a natural sugar that comes
in solid block form and is native to the cuisine of several Central and
South American countries. This got me looking for Panela - I couldn't
find it locally, however.

This also got me reading, and yesterday I was able to find Demerara
Sugar in the local Whole Foods, although it's not marketed as such. The
package says Raw Cane Sugar from Malawi, but the ingredients list says,
in rather small print, Raw Cane Demerara Sugar.

I held it up next to the Turbinado Sugar they also sell there, and this
looked a little darker in color. I decided to give it a try; I haven't
used it yet.

I confess a certain admittedly nerdy fascination with all these
different names for products that are obviously similar although there
may be some differences between them.

I think Muscovado sugar may be my next type to try if I can find it.

If anyone has any observations on using this different, cane-based
sugars, please feel free to chime in. So far as I'm aware, "brown"
sugar that's sold in the US can be refined sugar with the "brown" added
back in, so I'm avoiding that. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sugar

for more.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-18, Steve Freides > wrote:

> South American countries. This got me looking for Panela - I couldn't
> find it locally, however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panela

I bought some under the name piloncillo. Got it at my local sprmkt,
which has a terrible Mex food selection. Check at Walmart.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ned_sweeteners

> In my thread on home-making syrups, I mentioned using Turbinado sugar
> and Jim Elbrecht asked if I'd tried Panela, a natural sugar that comes
> in solid block form and is native to the cuisine of several Central and
> South American countries. This got me looking for Panela - I couldn't
> find it locally, however.

Try looking under its other name, jaggery

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> I confess a certain admittedly nerdy fascination with all these
> different names for products that are obviously similar although there
> may be some differences between them.

Tried artisan salts, yet? Indian black salt,
Hawaiian red salt, Himalayan pink salt, etc.
(They all taste like . . . salt.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ned_sweeteners
>
> In my thread on home-making syrups, I mentioned using Turbinado sugar
> and Jim Elbrecht asked if I'd tried Panela, a natural sugar that comes
> in solid block form and is native to the cuisine of several Central and
> South American countries. This got me looking for Panela - I couldn't
> find it locally, however.
>
> This also got me reading, and yesterday I was able to find Demerara
> Sugar in the local Whole Foods, although it's not marketed as such. The
> package says Raw Cane Sugar from Malawi, but the ingredients list says,
> in rather small print, Raw Cane Demerara Sugar.
>
> I held it up next to the Turbinado Sugar they also sell there, and this
> looked a little darker in color. I decided to give it a try; I haven't
> used it yet.
>
> I confess a certain admittedly nerdy fascination with all these
> different names for products that are obviously similar although there
> may be some differences between them.
>
> I think Muscovado sugar may be my next type to try if I can find it.
>
> If anyone has any observations on using this different, cane-based
> sugars, please feel free to chime in. So far as I'm aware, "brown"
> sugar that's sold in the US can be refined sugar with the "brown" added
> back in, so I'm avoiding that. See
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sugar
>
> for more.
>
> -S-

I mentioned jaggery a while ago. It is available at Indian
stores. Note that not all jaggery is created equal, and I am not
just speaking of the difference between that made of sugar cane
and that which is obtained form palms. The first kind I obtained
was divine, but I can't figure out where I got it or whether it is
still being produced.
--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> In article >, says...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ned_sweeteners

>> In my thread on home-making syrups, I mentioned using Turbinado sugar
>> and Jim Elbrecht asked if I'd tried Panela, a natural sugar that comes
>> in solid block form and is native to the cuisine of several Central and
>> South American countries. This got me looking for Panela - I couldn't
>> find it locally, however.

> Try looking under its other name, jaggery
>
> Janet UK

Yes!!!!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote:

-snip-
>I mentioned jaggery a while ago. It is available at Indian
>stores. Note that not all jaggery is created equal, and I am not
>just speaking of the difference between that made of sugar cane
>and that which is obtained form palms. The first kind I obtained
>was divine, but I can't figure out where I got it or whether it is
>still being produced.

Ah-- You *had* to say that, eh? I just saw Jaggery in the Asian
store. Shortly after you posted about it. I thought it looked
like panela, but for some reason didn't pick any up.

When I saw it was the same as panela I wasn't going to bother--- Now
that you say they aren't all created equal, I'll have to try it one of
these days.

Jim
[BTW- I've never seen it by either name in any regular grocery in
these parts.]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
> -snip-
>> I mentioned jaggery a while ago. It is available at Indian
>> stores. Note that not all jaggery is created equal, and I am not
>> just speaking of the difference between that made of sugar cane
>> and that which is obtained form palms. The first kind I obtained
>> was divine, but I can't figure out where I got it or whether it is
>> still being produced.

> Ah-- You *had* to say that, eh? I just saw Jaggery in the Asian
> store. Shortly after you posted about it. I thought it looked
> like panela, but for some reason didn't pick any up.
>
> When I saw it was the same as panela I wasn't going to bother--- Now
> that you say they aren't all created equal, I'll have to try it one of
> these days.
>
> Jim
> [BTW- I've never seen it by either name in any regular grocery in
> these parts.]

I don't see it in "normal" grocery stores either, but I am always
prowling around Asian stores. Most of the ones very near here are
Indian, although one has a smattering of items from other
countries. (They used to carry MUCH more from other Asian
countries [plus a bit from the Netherlands because of the
Indonesian connection], but now they are in a rivalry with the
three other mostly Indian stores in the same little strip mall. I
don't like that, but I gather now folks come from far afield to
buy the SW Asian and Middle Eastern supplies.)

--
Jean B.