Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent[_5_] Kent[_5_] is offline

Default Webers

"Steve B" > wrote in message
> I've been seeing quite a lot of Weber "kettle" style charcoal cookers
> lately at the Borg. Just a basic tub and lid and grate. Are these any
> good for real barbecueing, or would one have to really pay attention and
> closely watch the coals? It looks like it may be difficult to cook by the
> indirect method, as many don't have a lot of square inches grill space for
> meat and water tray. I actually like the larger rectangular ones, but I
> have seen some of these on sale for very low prices.
>
> What say ye?
>
> Steve

I have the 22 inch Weber kettle and the WSM side by side. It's difficult to
hold a low 225-250 temp. on the kettle and you really can't cook something
like a pork butt. It's excellent for higher temp. indirect cooking. I always
roast standing rib roasts and turkeys that way. I use baskets on both
sides, and a foil pan between to catch drippings. You can do ribs, though
anything you're cooking takes a fair amount of ongoing tending. This is
totally unlike the WSM. With the water pan full the temp. stays at a
constant 225-250F for hours.
Try to find the "One Touch" Weber model, if you can at a good price. It
makes everything much easier. It's actually worth the extra fifty bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-751001-2...sr=8-2KentKent