Barbecue (alt.food.barbecue) Discuss barbecue and grilling--southern style "low and slow" smoking of ribs, shoulders and briskets, as well as direct heat grilling of everything from burgers to salmon to vegetables.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 62
Default Webers

I've been seeing quite a lot of Weber "kettle" style charcoal cookers lately
at the Borg. Just a basic tub and lid and grate. Are these any good for
real barbecueing, or would one have to really pay attention and closely
watch the coals? It looks like it may be difficult to cook by the indirect
method, as many don't have a lot of square inches grill space for meat and
water tray. I actually like the larger rectangular ones, but I have seen
some of these on sale for very low prices.

What say ye?

Steve


  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 954
Default Webers


"Steve B" > wrote in message
...
> I've been seeing quite a lot of Weber "kettle" style charcoal cookers
> lately at the Borg. Just a basic tub and lid and grate. Are these any
> good for real barbecueing, or would one have to really pay attention and
> closely watch the coals? It looks like it may be difficult to cook by the
> indirect method, as many don't have a lot of square inches grill space for
> meat and water tray. I actually like the larger rectangular ones, but I
> have seen some of these on sale for very low prices.
>
> What say ye?
>
> Steve
>


I have the 22 inch Weber kettle and the WSM side by side. It's difficult to
hold a low 225-250 temp. on the kettle and you really can't cook something
like a pork butt. It's excellent for higher temp. indirect cooking. I always
roast standing rib roasts and turkeys that way. I use baskets on both
sides, and a foil pan between to catch drippings. You can do ribs, though
anything you're cooking takes a fair amount of ongoing tending. This is
totally unlike the WSM. With the water pan full the temp. stays at a
constant 225-250F for hours.
Try to find the "One Touch" Weber model, if you can at a good price. It
makes everything much easier. It's actually worth the extra fifty bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-751001-2...sr=8-2KentKent

  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Webers

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:47:05 -0700, Kent wrote:

> "Steve B" > wrote in message
> ...
>> I've been seeing quite a lot of Weber "kettle" style charcoal cookers
>> lately at the Borg. Just a basic tub and lid and grate. Are these any
>> good for real barbecueing, or would one have to really pay attention and
>> closely watch the coals? It looks like it may be difficult to cook by the
>> indirect method, as many don't have a lot of square inches grill space for
>> meat and water tray. I actually like the larger rectangular ones, but I
>> have seen some of these on sale for very low prices.
>>
>> What say ye?



Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new?


> I have the 22 inch Weber kettle and the WSM side by side. It's difficult to
> hold a low 225-250 temp. on the kettle and you really can't cook something
> like a pork butt. It's excellent for higher temp. indirect cooking.


Can you sear a steak char rare like they do at Ruth's Chris?
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,851
Default Webers

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 18:17:40 -0500, Frank or Burger
> wrote:



>
>
>Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new?
>

How long as Weber been in business? It is the original shape grill.


>
>> I have the 22 inch Weber kettle and the WSM side by side. It's difficult to
>> hold a low 225-250 temp. on the kettle and you really can't cook something
>> like a pork butt. It's excellent for higher temp. indirect cooking.

>
>Can you sear a steak char rare like they do at Ruth's Chris?


Don't have one so I can't say for sure, but you can get it damned hot
from my limited experience with them.
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,622
Default Webers

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 18:17:40 -0500, Frank or Burger
> > wrote:
>
>
>
>>
>>
>> Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new?
>>

> How long as Weber been in business? It is the original shape grill.
>
>
>>
>>> I have the 22 inch Weber kettle and the WSM side by side. It's
>>> difficult to hold a low 225-250 temp. on the kettle and you really
>>> can't cook something like a pork butt. It's excellent for higher
>>> temp. indirect cooking.

>>
>> Can you sear a steak char rare like they do at Ruth's Chris?

>
> Don't have one so I can't say for sure, but you can get it damned hot
> from my limited experience with them.


Someone was being a tad tongue-N-cheek while playing off of Kent's
personality quirks :-)

--
A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for
dinner. Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote. --- Anon




  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 954
Default Webers



"Frank or Burger" wrote in message
.com...

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:47:05 -0700, Kent wrote:

> "Steve B" > wrote in message
> ...
>> I've been seeing quite a lot of Weber "kettle" style charcoal cookers
>> lately at the Borg. Just a basic tub and lid and grate. Are these any
>> good for real barbecueing, or would one have to really pay attention and
>> closely watch the coals? It looks like it may be difficult to cook by
>> the
>> indirect method, as many don't have a lot of square inches grill space
>> for
>> meat and water tray. I actually like the larger rectangular ones, but I
>> have seen some of these on sale for very low prices.
>>
>> What say ye?



Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new?


> I have the 22 inch Weber kettle and the WSM side by side. It's difficult
> to
> hold a low 225-250 temp. on the kettle and you really can't cook something
> like a pork butt. It's excellent for higher temp. indirect cooking.


Can you sear a steak char rare like they do at Ruth's Chris?

Yes, of course you can. You knew that when you wrote your trolling post.


  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 954
Default Webers



"Frank or Burger" wrote in message
.com...

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:47:05 -0700, Kent wrote:

> "Steve B" > wrote in message
> ...
>> I've been seeing quite a lot of Weber "kettle" style charcoal cookers
>> lately at the Borg. Just a basic tub and lid and grate. Are these any
>> good for real barbecueing, or would one have to really pay attention and
>> closely watch the coals? It looks like it may be difficult to cook by
>> the
>> indirect method, as many don't have a lot of square inches grill space
>> for
>> meat and water tray. I actually like the larger rectangular ones, but I
>> have seen some of these on sale for very low prices.
>>
>> What say ye?



Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new


Go sqwertz yourself!


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 62
Default Webers


> Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new


If you don't have anything to add, just STFU.


  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,007
Default Webers

On Jun 8, 6:16*am, "Steve B" > wrote:
> > Weber "kettle" *Never heard of them. *Are these new

>
> If you don't have anything to add, just STFU.


Not very mormon of you there Steve. You don't own the thread you know.

Anyway, kettles are not reccomended for BBQ. Come on, use some common
sense in regards to fuel in one.

Hows the backyard project coming? Sounds like you've dropped it.


  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,186
Default Webers

On 6/8/2012 11:05 AM, tutall wrote:
> On Jun 8, 6:16 am, "Steve > wrote:
>>> Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new

>>
>> If you don't have anything to add, just STFU.

>
> Not very mormon of you there Steve. You don't own the thread you know.
>
> Anyway, kettles are not reccomended for BBQ. Come on, use some common
> sense in regards to fuel in one.
>
> Hows the backyard project coming? Sounds like you've dropped it.
>
>



Good catch, Tutall. He comes here looking for advice, gets lots of it,
then try's to tell someone to STFU. Guess he doesn't understand, some
have been around here for a dozen years or more. Been told to STFU
before and it hasn't happened. It's not gonna happen this time either....

I have some recommendations on using a Weber Kettle as a smoker. It can
be done. I think I'll just STFU about it....

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 954
Default Webers



"Steve B" wrote in message ...


> Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new


If you don't have anything to add, just STFU.
>>

>

That "Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new?" came from
frank-burger, not me.

Kent



  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 954
Default Webers



"bbq" wrote in message
. com...

On 6/8/2012 11:05 AM, tutall wrote:
> On Jun 8, 6:16 am, "Steve > wrote:
>>> Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new

>>
>> If you don't have anything to add, just STFU.

>
> Not very mormon of you there Steve. You don't own the thread you know.
>
> Anyway, kettles are not reccomended for BBQ. Come on, use some common
> sense in regards to fuel in one.
>
> Hows the backyard project coming? Sounds like you've dropped it.
>
>



Good catch, Tutall. He comes here looking for advice, gets lots of it,
then try's to tell someone to STFU. Guess he doesn't understand, some
have been around here for a dozen years or more. Been told to STFU
before and it hasn't happened. It's not gonna happen this time either....

I have some recommendations on using a Weber Kettle as a smoker. It can
be done. I think I'll just STFU about it....

BBQ
--
Vegetarian
An old Indian term for poor hunter...
>
>

I'd sure appreciate any advice you have about maintaining a constant 250F in
the Weber kettle.

Thanks in advance,

Kent


  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,186
Default Webers

On 6/8/2012 5:13 PM, Kent wrote:
> I'd sure appreciate any advice you have about maintaining a constant
> 250F in the Weber kettle.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kent



I want Steve B to apologize for being an ass, before I post my
recommendations for his, yours and others benefit.

I will say, it's not easy. Needs to be closely monitored. Cooking
capacity is very limited. But OK for a Q'ue for 4 people.

I don't think maintaining a constant 250F can be achieved, without lots
of monitoring and adjustments(putzing around). It won't be set it and
forget it, like a WSM most of the time..

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 62
Default Webers

Sorry I went off the handle when responding to assholes.

Steve


  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 954
Default Webers


"bbq" > wrote in message
. com...
> On 6/8/2012 5:13 PM, Kent wrote:
>> I'd sure appreciate any advice you have about maintaining a constant
>> 250F in the Weber kettle.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Kent

>
>
> I want Steve B to apologize for being an ass, before I post my
> recommendations for his, yours and others benefit.
>
> I will say, it's not easy. Needs to be closely monitored. Cooking
> capacity is very limited. But OK for a Q'ue for 4 people.
>
> I don't think maintaining a constant 250F can be achieved, without lots of
> monitoring and adjustments(putzing around). It won't be set it and forget
> it, like a WSM most of the time..
>
> BBQ
> --
> Vegetarian
>
> An old Indian term for poor hunter...
>
>


That's been my conclusion as well. It's not all that easy to maintain
300-325F in a fashion where you don't have to closely moniter.

Kent





  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,186
Default Webers

On 6/9/2012 3:29 PM, Kent wrote:
> > wrote in message
> . com...
>> On 6/8/2012 5:13 PM, Kent wrote:
>>> I'd sure appreciate any advice you have about maintaining a constant
>>> 250F in the Weber kettle.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Kent

>>
>>
>> I want Steve B to apologize for being an ass, before I post my
>> recommendations for his, yours and others benefit.
>>
>> I will say, it's not easy. Needs to be closely monitored. Cooking
>> capacity is very limited. But OK for a Q'ue for 4 people.
>>
>> I don't think maintaining a constant 250F can be achieved, without lots of
>> monitoring and adjustments(putzing around). It won't be set it and forget
>> it, like a WSM most of the time..
>>
>> BBQ
>> --
>> Vegetarian
>>
>> An old Indian term for poor hunter...
>>
>>

>
> That's been my conclusion as well. It's not all that easy to maintain
> 300-325F in a fashion where you don't have to closely moniter.
>
> Kent
>
>
>



I've used the rotisserie collar on my Kettle. It works OK. I used it
for a bunch of chicken parts and Turkey legs to. Temperature was
probably up around 300 - 325. I think I had to put some 6 inch bricks on
the grate and put a grate on top of the bricks.

Have not tried that set up for butt or brisket. I think it would work,
but not using the minion method. Start off with enough hot coals to get
your desired temp. Monitor and add coals as needed. Not sure if it would
require hot coals or a couple handfuls of unlit coals.

I used the Kettle (without the collar) to Q'ue up a rack of baby backs,
once. That was using the standard bank the coals on 1 side and meat
place on the opposite side method. Could 2 racks be done? Probably,
but would need to rotate them every 20 minutes or so to even out the
cooking.

Monitoring is key though. If doing a longer cook for something like
brisket or butt, best to have tasks in the yard to do or catch up on
inside chores or watch TV. No going golfing, boating or any other
activity that takes you away from the house for a few hours..

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2004 Webers Ken Barbecue 2 17-02-2004 07:29 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"