Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Buttermilk Biscuits, fool proof

wrote:
> On May 29, 9:15 am, George M. Middius > wrote:
>
>> Polly Esther wrote:
>>

>>> If you don't have a pastry blender, you can just arm yourself
>>> with two plain old table-setting knives (that won't cut much of anything).
>>>

>> I did that a couple of times. Then I decided no more cutting-in until
>> I got a food processor. Got a Cuisinart in 1984 or so and haven't
>> looked back once.
>>

> Yep, the food processor will that have fat coated with flour the size
> of peas with just a few pulses. Food processors are niiiiiiiiiice.

Last time I made biscuits I used butter instead of lard, and I shredded
it with a box grater. And I used White Lily flour. I patted the dough
out and cut into squares with a sharp knife, and rounded the corners
with my fingers as I transfered them to the baking sheet. The biscuits
were so tender I think I should have kneaded (or rolled) them more to
toughen them up, or used Yankee all-purpose flour. You took one bite
and they fell apart into crumbs -- but the crumbs were moist and tasted
good :-)

Bob