Posted to alt.food.wine

Default A new grape to me.

On 5/17/2012 5:51 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> I came across some Solena Pinot *Gris* (2010 Williamette) today. The
> wine merchant agreed that it was just Pinot Grigio but said that the
> vintner felt that "Pinot" was French and wanted to be consistent for
> some reason. Well, we'll see what it is like.

Let me add some notes on Solena 2011 Pinot Gris (Willamette Valley). As
others have suggested it was rather more sweet than I am accustomed to
with Pinot Grigio but quite pleasantly acid and aromatic. It is made by
Laurent Montalieu and Danielle Andrus Montalieu whose names suggest
French ancestry or origin and the grapes appears not to have been grown
by the proprietors but "selected from Oregon vineyards".

--
Jim Silverton