Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default How much protein do you eat?

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> Coupled with beans it is and definitely is for someone with
> hyperinsulinemia. South Beach diet isn't a good diet for type 2's or
> people with hyperinsulinemia, insulin resistance etc.
> Its actually getting pretty close to te old ADA style dietary
> recommendations.

I must disagree! That is not at all what the old ADA diet was. I know. I
was on it.

I don't know that it is not recommended for type 2's. In fact her Endo. is
fine with it. Simply doing a vague low carb diet didn't seem to help her in
any way shape or form. This diet only allows specific foods.

> I thought she had already lost a lot of weight (way more than 10 pounds?).
> While weight loss is a good way to reduce insulin, it shouldn't be
> counteracted by a carby diet. When I lost my 45kg with reduced calories
> AND reduced carb it improved the hyperinsulinemia but didn't take it away
> altogether, that only happened when I reduced carbs even further. My carb
> level was getting close to Atkins' induction for that past few weeks. Not
> something I could have done for any great length of time but it was
> necessary to do the job. IMO a weight loss diet (lowered calories) AND a
> lowered carb diet are necessary (along with some sort of regular exercise)
> to attack the problem. prevention of diabetes and conditions like pcos is
> worth so much more than having to treat it once it rears its head.

She had lost some weight but then gained it all back and then some when she
failed to take her thyroid meds. She had been lying to me and telling me
that she took them. I noticed the weight gain then I kept asking her about
her pills knowing that they would need to be refilled. When she refused to
check to see how many pills were left, I was forced to. Only to find most
of the pills in the bottle. It did me no good to talk to her about it. The
Endo. told her she MUST take her pills and the gastroenterologist drummed it
into her that if she didn't take her pills and get some weight off, things
were going to be dire.

Lowered calories didn't work for her. Low carb also didn't work. Perhaps
because she is so active. She takes a total of 12 hours per week of dance
and exercise classes. That is not counting the exercise she does at home.
South Beach is not lowered calories. In fact they require you to eat three
meals and two snacks. You are not allowed to be hungry on this diet. But
they do limit the types of foods you can eat. Such as no fatty meats, no
white bread, white rice, potatoes, sweets, etc. Any carbs that are eaten
must be high fiber.