Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default How much protein do you eat?

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> That sounds really carby for someone with high insulin problems.
>>> Jazzy started putting on a bit of weight around the thighs recently. As
>>> it was almost time for her annual blood tests (thyroid mainly) I asked
>>> for a type 2 bloodwork as well. That came back normal in all respects
>>> but thyroid was just out of range for hypothyroidism. Getting tested
>>> again in July, then work from there. In the meantime I thought it
>>> wouldn't hurt to change her diet a bit and get rid of the weight before
>>> it became a problem. She is basically eating mostly animal protein and
>>> veggies, little starch, no fruit as she has gone off them anyway. She
>>> has lost the 3.5 kg already so I have let up a bit on the diet. Now
>>> working on getting her moving a bit as she has started to not want to do
>>> anything in recent months (another reason why I brought forward the
>>> thyroid testing). I spoke to her teacher, this year she has been taken
>>> everywhere by bus to local area activities along with wheelchair bound
>>> kids. I requested that she walk to the activities like she did with her
>>> last teacher last year. Her teacher was taking the easy way out because
>>> he read on her profile that she is a "runner". I told him it was nothing
>>> that holding her hand couldn't prevent

>> That seems to be the amount of carbs that I need. If I eat any less my
>> BG goes up waaaay too high. Like into the 300's. Low carbing simply
>> does not work for me. My BG is back down now. Thankfully no hypos yet
>> but much more in the normal range.

> I meant Angela actually. I can't see how that diet could possibly reduce
> her insulin. And she will be adding even more by the end of the week. It
> would also be defeating the purpose of taking Metformin and a very good
> reason why she was getting the diarrhoea.

The diet isn't supposed to reduce her insulin. It's to make her lose
weight. AFAIK she has lost 10 pounds. Could be more. I don't think she
has weighed herself for a few days. Then if all works as it should, if she
gets her weight down, her insulin level will go down.

> I would be reducing the starches, fruit and beans and concentrating more
> on the animal protein and other veggies. If the hyperinsulimenia isn't
> treated properly then full blown type 2 could be just around the corner.
> Who is prescribing this kind of diet?

That is not a balanced diet and the book says no one should eat like that
more than two weeks at a time. It's the South Beach diet and it was
prescribed by her gastroenterologist. I don't think eating 3 servings of
fruit and 3 servings of whole grains per day is a lot of carbs.