Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default cuts of pork

(z z) wrote:

>Found the label "Fresh Pork Shoulder Blade Boston Butt Roast."
>
>LOL I didnt realize it had a bone in it till I was pulling meat out of
>the crockpot-large part of the shoulder blade.
>
>I had it on low in crockpot for ~11 hrs (pineapple juice,
>worcestershire, light brown sugar) and it was very soft "pulled" pork.
>Needs a crusty roll because of the amount of moisture in it-my light
>sandwich bread turned to mush. Flavorwise it was basic-my mother would
>think the flavor was just right, I however need more of a kick so I
>added barbeque sauce to my second sandwich.

>Spare ribs have better flavor than this cut of pork-it had a large layer
>of fat but it didn't seem to add extra flavor.

I look at it almost as a vehicle for other flavors, though it has a
nice mellow flavor of its own. I just pulled a 10lb one tonight. I
rubbed it with;
2 T salt
2 T garlic powder
2 T onion powder
2 T paprika
1 T cumin
1 ½ T black pepper
1 ½ t cayenne pepper
½ cup of dark brown sugar
and refrigerated for two days. I lit the smoker last night at
8pm- and maintained 225 or so in there until 10 this morning. Then
I moved it to my stove where it went until 5pm before it hit 190F.

Not bad. We did carnitas tonight, but I usually make crusty rolls and
dress with coleslaw.

>$1.89 pound sure is cheaper than beef. Just under 3lbs easily enough
>meat for 10 sandwiches. I would like to take the extra meat and make a
>baked bean & pork casserole I think.

I only buy it when it hits 99cents/lb.

Jim