Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Default cuts of pork

crockpot recipe called for "pork shoulder or butt" and tonight I bought
at the store a hunk of pork that says shoulder and butt on the label.
Same thing?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/05/2012 9:38 PM, z z wrote:
> crockpot recipe called for "pork shoulder or butt" and tonight I bought
> at the store a hunk of pork that says shoulder and butt on the label.
> Same thing?

Google is your friend.
Yes it is the same thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Unfortunately thanks to webtv Google is not my friend-I am stuck with
Bing lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 9:05*pm, (z z) wrote:

> Unfortunately thanks to webtv Google is not my friend-I am stuck with
> Bing lol

The joke is on you. Bing will give you the same results as Google.
Don't you have a computer after all this time??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
(z z) wrote:

>>crockpot recipe called for "pork shoulder or butt" and tonight I bought
>>at the store a hunk of pork that says shoulder and butt on the label.
>>Same thing?

>Who woulda thunk that a pig's butt and shoulder are the same thing?

A faggot of course... isn't "Pig Butt" Bwrrrryan's pet name for you,
Oinker Kuthe?

>It's what you slice 1/2 inch thick and call "pork steaks" too! A
>Midwest thing. My niece went to NYU and had to call her mother to find
>out what to ask the NY butcher for to get "pork steaks"!

Any NY butcher knows that pork steaks are pork shoulder... typical
faggot BSer... and your niece was NYU's porker pork depository.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

El jueves, 3 de mayo de 2012 03:38:57 UTC+2, z z escribió:
> crockpot recipe called for "pork shoulder or butt" and tonight I bought
> at the store a hunk of pork that says shoulder and butt on the label.
> Same thing?

El jueves, 3 de mayo de 2012 03:38:57 UTC+2, z z escribió:
> crockpot recipe called for "pork shoulder or butt" and tonight I bought
> at the store a hunk of pork that says shoulder and butt on the label.
> Same thing?

No es lo mismo, el lomo es la parte que va desde la cabeza al culo, ( la curva) los gluteos, ya sabes lo que es, una cosa es el lomo y otra la pata del cerdo, no tiene nada que ver.
saludos
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 May 2012 10:26:16 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>Any NY butcher knows that pork steaks are pork shoulder... typical
>faggot BSer... and your niece was NYU's porker pork depository.

They must've all learned in the past 20 years, since my niece
graduated NYU!! Because the one she went to didn't have the foggiest!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 May 2012 16:37:16 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Thu, 03 May 2012 10:26:16 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>Any NY butcher knows that pork steaks are pork shoulder... typical
>>faggot BSer... and your niece was NYU's porker pork depository.

>They must've all learned in the past 20 years, since my niece
>graduated NYU!! Because the one she went to didn't have the faggiest!
>
>John Kuthe...

Fagures!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 May 2012 18:16:03 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

Now Sheldon, like I keep telling BillyBeanbag, I am far too
heterosexual to be interested in sex with you or him! Why don't the
two of you get together and leave me out of it?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> Now Sheldon, like I keep telling BillyBeanbag, I am far too
> heterosexual to be interested in sex with you or him! Why don't the
> two of you get together and leave me out of it?

What conclusion should we draw about people who repeatedly try to
insult others by calling them "fag" or "queer"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 10:27*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2012 20:38:57 -0500, (z z) wrote:
> >crockpot recipe called for "pork shoulder or butt" and tonight I bought
> >at the store a hunk of pork that says shoulder and butt on the label.
> >Same thing?

> Who woulda thunk that a pig's butt and shoulder are the same thing?
> ;-)
>
> It's what you slice 1/2 inch thick and call "pork steaks" too! A
> Midwest thing. My niece went to NYU and had to call her mother to find
> out what to ask the NY butcher for to get "pork steaks"!

Those things are tough as nails, even if you cook them super slow and
baste them early on in the process, but they do taste good. The
runniness of Maull's works really well with pork steaks. I don't buy
the much anymore because they are the most dental floss intensive meat
I can think of. I BBQd chicken with Maull's this evening. A real
treat. When we lived in Florida I had my wife bring back Maull's when
she came back up here to visit her family.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-04 00:12:10 +0000, George M. Middius said:

> John Kuthe wrote:
>
>> Now Sheldon, like I keep telling BillyBeanbag, I am far too
>> heterosexual to be interested in sex with you or him! Why don't the
>> two of you get together and leave me out of it?

> What conclusion should we draw about people who repeatedly try to
> insult others by calling them "fag" or "queer"?

The have focused interests.
--
I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> >> Now Sheldon, like I keep telling BillyBeanbag, I am far too
> >> heterosexual to be interested in sex with you or him! Why don't the
> >> two of you get together and leave me out of it?

> > What conclusion should we draw about people who repeatedly try to
> > insult others by calling them "fag" or "queer"?

> The have focused interests.

Go on......

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 May 2012 20:44:50 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>> > What conclusion should we draw about people who repeatedly try to
>> > insult others by calling them "fag" or "queer"?

>> The have focused interests.

>Go on......

Focused interests in homosexuality! Ergo closeted gays! Only
explanation!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 May 2012 17:15:50 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On May 2, 10:27*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 May 2012 20:38:57 -0500, (z z) wrote:
>> >crockpot recipe called for "pork shoulder or butt" and tonight I bought
>> >at the store a hunk of pork that says shoulder and butt on the label.
>> >Same thing?

>> Who woulda thunk that a pig's butt and shoulder are the same thing?
>> ;-)
>>
>> It's what you slice 1/2 inch thick and call "pork steaks" too! A
>> Midwest thing. My niece went to NYU and had to call her mother to find
>> out what to ask the NY butcher for to get "pork steaks"!

>Those things are tough as nails

Not tough as nails. Not even as tough as the toughest steak I ever
had, which was in Fredericktown recently at the Olympic Steakhouse
which serves industrial grade beef, I'm convinced. It used to be
really cheap and they have a pretty good salad/dessert buffet. But I
went there recently and their prices have gone up considerably (I'll
never go again!) plus it was the toughest damned steak I ever had!

But anyway, getting back to pork steaks: they are not nearly as tough
as you make them out to be. IMHO. But you are correct, slow cooking is
essential to render the fat and tenderize them, in sauce if possible.
Smoking them for several hours would be pretty good too, although I've
never had a smoked pork steak.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 8:48*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Thu, 3 May 2012 17:15:50 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>
> > wrote:

> >> Who woulda thunk that a pig's butt and shoulder are the same thing?
> >> ;-)

> >> It's what you slice 1/2 inch thick and call "pork steaks" too! A
> >> Midwest thing. My niece went to NYU and had to call her mother to find
> >> out what to ask the NY butcher for to get "pork steaks"!

> >Those things are tough as nails

> Not tough as nails. Not even as tough as the toughest steak I ever
> had, which was in Fredericktown recently at the Olympic Steakhouse
> which serves industrial grade beef, I'm convinced. It used to be
> really cheap and they have a pretty good salad/dessert buffet. But I
> went there recently and their prices have gone up considerably (I'll
> never go again!) plus it was the toughest damned steak I ever had!

A sirloin? Beef can certainly be the toughest if overcooked, and
ungraded old cattle especially, but pork is by tradition cooked well
done.

> But anyway, getting back to pork steaks: they are not nearly as tough
> as you make them out to be. IMHO. But you are correct, slow cooking is
> essential to render the fat and tenderize them, in sauce if possible.
> Smoking them for several hours would be pretty good too, although I've
> never had a smoked pork steak.

The way they're usually cooked is too fast, and pork fat is less well
distributed. Pork chops--which are analogous to T-bone/porterhouse--
can be tender, and are more often cooked less than well done. Pork
shoulder is just tough. I've even slow smoked them, at least to the
extent that one can using a Weber Kettle. There just isn't enough
intramuscular fat to make it tender. Same with chicken breast, though
that is much more finely textured. Slow roasting chickens breast-
down, then flipping them to brown the skin helps.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-04 01:41:22 +0000, John Kuthe said:

> On Thu, 03 May 2012 20:44:50 -0400, George M. Middius
> > wrote:

>>> The have focused interests.

>> Go on......
>>

> Focused interests in homosexuality! Ergo closeted gays! Only
> explanation!

Who knows? But it sure is important to them. I don't think white
supremacists are closeted blacks or jews, but it sure keeps them awake
at night. Who can guess why?

I wear my hair long and always have. Once in a bar a pugnacious asshole
says, "Hey are you queer". "No", I answer. "I think you are, I think
you're a queer." "Suit yourself. You can think I'm a space man too if
you like." "Yeah€¦ Yeah€¦ You're a queer." He's getting on my nerves
but seems to be there to irk, not really intimidate. So I bellow about
as loud as I reasonably can for the 30 people around us: "Hey, I'm not
***! If you want to meet *** guys go to a *** bar--that's where they
are! Leave me alone."

Man was that guy oughta there like a shot. I kept my hackles up going
to the car a couple hours later though.
--
I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use.
-- Galileo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> >> Go on......

> > Focused interests in homosexuality! Ergo closeted gays! Only
> > explanation!

> Who knows? But it sure is important to them. I don't think white
> supremacists are closeted blacks or jews, but it sure keeps them awake
> at night. Who can guess why?

Maybe you meant repressed rather than "focused".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z wrote:

> crockpot recipe called for "pork shoulder or butt" and tonight I bought
> at the store a hunk of pork that says shoulder and butt on the label.
> Same thing?

It's a trick name. The shoulder cut of a pig is called a Boston butt
even though that's not the word for the part of the pig it's cut from.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-04 14:06:39 +0000, George M. Middius said:

>>> Focused interests in homosexuality! Ergo closeted gays! Only
>>> explanation!

>> Who knows? But it sure is important to them. I don't think white
>> supremacists are closeted blacks or jews, but it sure keeps them awake
>> at night. Who can guess why?

> Maybe you meant repressed rather than "focused".

No, I meant focused, for whatever reason. See that paragraph about
white supremacists up there? Would "repressed" be a good swap for
"closeted"?
--
I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use.
-- Galileo

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Found the label "Fresh Pork Shoulder Blade Boston Butt Roast."

LOL I didnt realize it had a bone in it till I was pulling meat out of
the crockpot-large part of the shoulder blade.

I had it on low in crockpot for ~11 hrs (pineapple juice,
worcestershire, light brown sugar) and it was very soft "pulled" pork.
Needs a crusty roll because of the amount of moisture in it-my light
sandwich bread turned to mush. Flavorwise it was basic-my mother would
think the flavor was just right, I however need more of a kick so I
added barbeque sauce to my second sandwich.

Spare ribs have better flavor than this cut of pork-it had a large layer
of fat but it didn't seem to add extra flavor.

$1.89 pound sure is cheaper than beef. Just under 3lbs easily enough
meat for 10 sandwiches. I would like to take the extra meat and make a
baked bean & pork casserole I think.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 12:40*pm, (z z) wrote:

> Found the label "Fresh Pork Shoulder Blade Boston Butt Roast."
>
> LOL I didnt realize it had a bone in it till I was pulling meat out of
> the crockpot-large part of the shoulder blade.

If it was boneless it would have stated so on the package.

> I had it on low in crockpot for ~11 hrs (pineapple juice,
> worcestershire, light brown sugar) and it was very soft "pulled" pork.
> I need more of a kick so I
> added barbeque sauce to my second sandwich.

Your seasonings were very, very bland. No wonder you needed more a
'kick.'

> Spare ribs have better flavor than this cut of pork-it had a large layer
> of fat but it didn't seem to add extra flavor.

The fat won't add much flavor in the crockpot, just sloppy fat. If
you're going to cook something like this in the crockpot next time
trim most of that fat away. Buy some spices, be generous, but you
don't need to overdo it with 11 hours in the crockpot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Thanks Joan, I will try to shorten my work day :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 1:44*pm, (z z) wrote:

> Thanks Joan, I will try to shorten my work day :-)

A crockpot doesn't have to be used only during the day. You can cook
most any dish overnight while you are sleeping and it will be done
when you awaken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Sorry, Joan :-) I don't usually eat barbequed pork for breakfast. But
thank you for your intense interest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(z z) wrote:

>Found the label "Fresh Pork Shoulder Blade Boston Butt Roast."
>
>LOL I didnt realize it had a bone in it till I was pulling meat out of
>the crockpot-large part of the shoulder blade.
>
>I had it on low in crockpot for ~11 hrs (pineapple juice,
>worcestershire, light brown sugar) and it was very soft "pulled" pork.
>Needs a crusty roll because of the amount of moisture in it-my light
>sandwich bread turned to mush. Flavorwise it was basic-my mother would
>think the flavor was just right, I however need more of a kick so I
>added barbeque sauce to my second sandwich.

>Spare ribs have better flavor than this cut of pork-it had a large layer
>of fat but it didn't seem to add extra flavor.

I look at it almost as a vehicle for other flavors, though it has a
nice mellow flavor of its own. I just pulled a 10lb one tonight. I
rubbed it with;
2 T salt
2 T garlic powder
2 T onion powder
2 T paprika
1 T cumin
1 ½ T black pepper
1 ½ t cayenne pepper
½ cup of dark brown sugar
and refrigerated for two days. I lit the smoker last night at
8pm- and maintained 225 or so in there until 10 this morning. Then
I moved it to my stove where it went until 5pm before it hit 190F.

Not bad. We did carnitas tonight, but I usually make crusty rolls and
dress with coleslaw.

>$1.89 pound sure is cheaper than beef. Just under 3lbs easily enough
>meat for 10 sandwiches. I would like to take the extra meat and make a
>baked bean & pork casserole I think.

I only buy it when it hits 99cents/lb.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 5:39*pm, (z z) wrote:

> Sorry, Joan :-) I don't usually eat barbequed pork for breakfast. But
> thank you for your intense interest.

Dunce, I didn't say a word about eating crockpot pork for breakfast.
Damn, thick as a brick, aren't you? What you fixed is in no way to be
confused with "barbecued pork."

Since you are having trouble with reading and comprehension let me
help you out this one time. My suggestion was to start your pork dish
_before_ retiring for the night. Thus it will be done when you awaken
without cooking for 11 hours; whether you eat it for breakfast is of
no consequence to me. But I'm not saying you should or shouldn't nor
did I say it in my previous post.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I think you're right with the dark brown sugar-I used light brown and it
wasn't a deep enough flavor. Also, a gal at work said she uses apple
cider vinegar instead of juice and that sounds better to me also-mine
was missing a tanginess that vinegar gives. I have had pulled pork with
carolina slaw on it before and the vinegar is definitely a taste that
works.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 13, 1:20*pm, BubbaBob >
wrote:

> (z z) wrote:
>
> > Sorry, Joan :-) I don't usually eat barbequed pork for breakfast. But
> > thank you for your intense interest.

> Just as well. You can't barbecue in a crock pot. You can braise but
> barbecue requires wood and smoke.

That's the truth but this bit of information will just fly right over
her head.

pork cuts Charly Horse[_3_] Barbecue 3 14-01-2012 04:01 PM
Pork cuts Bob-tx[_3_] Barbecue 6 28-02-2011 07:05 PM
Help please: pork rib cuts Zz Yzx Barbecue 2 17-05-2010 02:56 AM
New cuts of pork, or... BOB General Cooking 1 03-06-2006 01:50 AM
Four New Pork Cuts Announced BOB Barbecue 1 03-06-2006 12:44 AM