Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bryan[_6_] Bryan[_6_] is offline

Default cuts of pork

On May 2, 10:27*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2012 20:38:57 -0500, (z z) wrote:
> >crockpot recipe called for "pork shoulder or butt" and tonight I bought
> >at the store a hunk of pork that says shoulder and butt on the label.
> >Same thing?

> Who woulda thunk that a pig's butt and shoulder are the same thing?
> ;-)
>
> It's what you slice 1/2 inch thick and call "pork steaks" too! A
> Midwest thing. My niece went to NYU and had to call her mother to find
> out what to ask the NY butcher for to get "pork steaks"!

Those things are tough as nails, even if you cook them super slow and
baste them early on in the process, but they do taste good. The
runniness of Maull's works really well with pork steaks. I don't buy
the much anymore because they are the most dental floss intensive meat
I can think of. I BBQd chicken with Maull's this evening. A real
treat. When we lived in Florida I had my wife bring back Maull's when
she came back up here to visit her family.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan