Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default Am I losing it?

On 4/28/2012 1:39 AM, George wrote:
> On 4/27/2012 2:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Friday, April 27, 2012 3:01:57 AM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:
>>> When John and I were shopping the other day we noticed those automated
>>> checkout stands. We both started laughing, then went to the lane with an
>>> actual person. Oh, and thank Bast my grocery store doesn't have one of
>>> those "savey-save ****y-**** cards" that let you get 5 cents off bootleg
>>> fruitloops.

>> I don't care for data collection schemes either but our Safeway forces
>> you to use your card. You'll pay about 20% if you opt not to use it.
>> That's the breaks.
>>

> Thats why we patronize stores that don't ask for an ID card. The store
> we shop at most frequently features the no ID card requirement in all of
> their advertising. The other policy they have is they will not sell
> "walmart style" adulterated/enhanced/injected" meat.

You probably have more choices than we do on this rock in the middle of
nowhere. Two of the three markets in this burg have cards. Safeway has
about 25% of their items affected by their cards. A lot of them are two
for one or discounted by a substantial amount. The Foodland card is more
like a coupon discount on a few items. You can probably opt to not use
it. You're pretty much forced to use the Safeway card if you choose to
shop there.

I am interested in where all this obsessive data collection will lead
us. I suspect that once they have all the data on us, it won't be all
that useful. Just my guess. I see that law enforcement is starting to
use flying drone technology. It doesn't take a genius to see that this
is probably the future of the police department. We live in interesting
times.