Old 26-04-2012, 02:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Am I losing it?

Bad enough I watch Bill Burr's Let It Go about twice a month with a
healthy shot of Wild Turkey in my morning cuppa joe. Probably has
something to do with my brain's dichotomy of studying "electronics"
and how to smoke capacitors with ultra-high voltages and watching n'
weeping through end-of-life-as-we-know-it food documentaries. "Being
a mother is the most difficult job on the planet" LOL! How do I
resolve the dilemma of a) buying a toxic dialectric HV capicitor and
b) starting a worm centric compost pile for the plants I don't even
have, yet. It's no wonder I'm talking to myself in that creepy Marlon
Brando Irish weirdo "regulator" voice from The Missouri Breaks. "I be
thinkin about it, now, donchya know" LOL.....

OBfood: making a tagine fer potluck, today. Screw 'em iffen they
don't cotton to it!

BTW, 660 Curries is a wash. Simplistic wimpy recipes. Thumbs down.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!

Old 26-04-2012, 02:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message
Bad enough I watch Bill Burr's Let It Go about twice a month

I've played that bit for John at least 10 times since he got here. Now we
find ourselves yelling "NO!" for no reason whatsoever

OBfood: making a tagine fer potluck, today. Screw 'em iffen they
don't cotton to it!

nb

Burgers on the grill today... if it doesn't rain. If it rains, the burgers
might turn into meatballs in red gravy/sauce over pasta

Jill

Old 26-04-2012, 03:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 9:57*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
"notbob" wrote in message

Bad enough I watch Bill Burr's Let It Go about twice a month

I've played that bit for John at least 10 times since he got here. *Now we
find ourselves yelling "NO!" for no reason whatsoever

OBfood: *making a tagine fer potluck, today. *Screw 'em iffen they
don't cotton to it!

nb

Burgers on the grill today... if it doesn't rain. *If it rains, the burgers
might turn into meatballs in red gravy/sauce over pasta

Jill

Brave the rain. Get out there and grill!
Old 26-04-2012, 04:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:57:02 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
Bad enough I watch Bill Burr's Let It Go about twice a month

I've played that bit for John at least 10 times since he got here. Now we
find ourselves yelling "NO!" for no reason whatsoever

Who is Bill Burr and why should I care?

OBfood: making a tagine fer potluck, today. Screw 'em iffen they
don't cotton to it!

nb

Burgers on the grill today... if it doesn't rain. If it rains, the burgers
might turn into meatballs in red gravy/sauce over pasta

So what did you end up with for dinner?

Old 27-04-2012, 02:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

news
wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
Bad enough I watch Bill Burr's Let It Go about twice a month

I've played that bit for John at least 10 times since he got here. Now
we
find ourselves yelling "NO!" for no reason whatsoever

Who is Bill Burr and why should I care?

He's a comedian and he goes off about grocery stores (among other things).
He's hilarious. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z4p9C9oJQ0

When John and I were shopping the other day we noticed those automated
checkout stands. We both started laughing, then went to the lane with an
actual person. Oh, and thank Bast my grocery store doesn't have one of
those "savey-save ****y-**** cards" that let you get 5 cents off bootleg
fruitloops.

OBfood: making a tagine fer potluck, today. Screw 'em iffen they
don't cotton to it!

nb

Burgers on the grill today... if it doesn't rain. If it rains, the
burgers
might turn into meatballs in red gravy/sauce over pasta

So what did you end up with for dinner?

None of the above! We sat down in front of the TV and lost track of time.
I added farfalle (aka bow tie) pasta to the leftover chicken stew. (I
didn't make enough dumplings the first time around.) That pasta works very
well in chicken soups/stews. I guess we'll do the burgers tonight. Looks
like it's going to be a bright sunny day!

Jill

Old 27-04-2012, 07:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 27, 2012 3:01:57 AM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:
When John and I were shopping the other day we noticed those automated
checkout stands. We both started laughing, then went to the lane with an
actual person. Oh, and thank Bast my grocery store doesn't have one of
those "savey-save ****y-**** cards" that let you get 5 cents off bootleg
fruitloops.

I don't care for data collection schemes either but our Safeway forces you to use your card. You'll pay about 20% if you opt not to use it. That's the breaks.

Old 28-04-2012, 08:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 4/27/2012 1:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:

I don't care for data collection schemes either but our Safeway forces you to use your card. You'll pay about 20% if you opt not to use it. That's the breaks.

Provide semi-valid information or something akin to that. "Big Brother"
has been around for a long time, so it's sort of fun to twist its arm
with information that's not exactly invalid

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Old 28-04-2012, 11:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" wrote in message
On 4/27/2012 1:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:

I don't care for data collection schemes either but our Safeway forces
you to use your card. You'll pay about 20% if you opt not to use it.
That's the breaks.

Provide semi-valid information or something akin to that. "Big Brother"
has been around for a long time, so it's sort of fun to twist its arm with
information that's not exactly invalid

Sky

Or not exactly valid, either LOL Seriously, used to be if you didn't have
one of those "cards" you couldn't get the extra 15 cents off of whatever.
Kroger was (is?) famous for it. (I don't know if they still do that...
haven't seen a Kroger since I left TN.) I do recall when I was picking up a
'party platter' of deli meats and cheeses once. I didn't have one of those
cards. The cashier had one and scanned it so I could get a discount. So
much for valid information, eh?

Jill

Old 28-04-2012, 12:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

I was picking up a
'party platter' of deli meats and cheeses once. I didn't have one of those
cards. The cashier had one and scanned it so I could get a discount. So
much for valid information, eh?

Certainly it's valid. Why do you imagine they want purchase data? They
want to maximize profit, right? So they *aggregate* the sales data
from cardholders to see which combination of discounts leads to the
best margins. Doesn't really matter whose card is used.

Old 28-04-2012, 12:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2012 2:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:
On Friday, April 27, 2012 3:01:57 AM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:
When John and I were shopping the other day we noticed those automated
checkout stands. We both started laughing, then went to the lane with an
actual person. Oh, and thank Bast my grocery store doesn't have one of
those "savey-save ****y-**** cards" that let you get 5 cents off bootleg
fruitloops.

I don't care for data collection schemes either but our Safeway forces you to use your card. You'll pay about 20% if you opt not to use it. That's the breaks.

Thats why we patronize stores that don't ask for an ID card. The store
we shop at most frequently features the no ID card requirement in all of
their advertising. The other policy they have is they will not sell
"walmart style" adulterated/enhanced/injected" meat.
Old 28-04-2012, 12:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2012 6:51 AM, jmcquown wrote:

"Sky" wrote in message
On 4/27/2012 1:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:

[...]

Thats pretty unusual anymore at least in stores in our area. They will
say "do you have a store ID card?" If you say no they will ask if you
want one. If you say "I left it at home" they are instructed to ask for
the phone number you gave for your ID card so the information can be
properly collected.
Old 28-04-2012, 12:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2012 3:41 AM, Sky wrote:
On 4/27/2012 1:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:

I don't care for data collection schemes either but our Safeway forces
you to use your card. You'll pay about 20% if you opt not to use it.
That's the breaks.

Provide semi-valid information or something akin to that. "Big Brother"
has been around for a long time, so it's sort of fun to twist its arm
with information that's not exactly invalid

Sky

At least the stores around here require that you present a government
photo ID such as your national ID card (thats what drivers licenses have
become) in order to get a store ID.
Old 28-04-2012, 01:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2012 7:39 AM, George wrote:

Thats pretty unusual anymore at least in stores in our area. They will
say "do you have a store ID card?" If you say no they will ask if you
want one. If you say "I left it at home" they are instructed to ask for
the phone number you gave for your ID card so the information can be
properly collected.

That's where I got into trouble. Giving a fake number. I couldn't
care less that they know I buy kettle chips or whole grain bread,
I don't want my phone number in the system. No problem until the
day I forgot my card. I used to give out my teen line that was
connected to a computer for work, good luck calling that.

nancy

Old 28-04-2012, 01:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" [email protected] wrote in message
On 4/28/2012 7:39 AM, George wrote:

That's where I got into trouble. Giving a fake number. I couldn't
care less that they know I buy kettle chips or whole grain bread,
I don't want my phone number in the system. No problem until the
day I forgot my card. I used to give out my teen line that was
connected to a computer for work, good luck calling that.

nancy

I understand your thinking, but your number is in the "system" more than you
think. Start with Google, Zillow, and then a few others that carry
information.

Amazingly easy to find your personal information, spouses name, ages, etc.