Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Sticker shock

On 4/25/12 3:00 PM, Bi!! wrote:

>>> I quit Bordeaux in 2005. Figured I could get more bang for my buck
>>> elsewhere and at age 60 I wasn't going to each maturity with my
>>> bottles anyway.

>> I'm with you here. Not buying any wines that need 20 years of age as I
>> may never drink them.- Hide quoted text -

> I guess that's the wine geeks way of saying don't buy green bananas!

Not that I'm trying to dissuade either of you, but when I look at my CT
data, I find that the _latest_ start date for a drinking window of any
of the wines in my cellar is 2020 (for, of all things, a 2007 Stony
Hills Chardonnay!). That means that all of the wines I now own will be
drinkable (according to CT, which usually underestimates readiness to my
tastes) before I turn 65 -- even my Dunn Howell Mountains! ;-) Unless
one is buying old school Barolo or Madiran or First Growth Bordeaux
(bringing this thread full circle) I don't see many wines that wouldn't
be approachable at the very least in 5 years' time. Now, the bang for
the buck argument I understand all too well.

Mark Lipton