Posted to alt.food.barbecue
mike mike is offline

Default Pork Shoulder.

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 04:04:22 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 4-Apr-2012, mike > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:11:26 -0500, Calvin Atwood <Calvin Atwood>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have been given a cyropacked,10 lb, bone in pork shoulder. It has
>> >been brined? (it says solution added - 5 to 8% by weight - for
>> >tenderness). It also has the skin on.
>> >
>> >I want to BBQ/smoke it and end up with pulled pork with a nice bark.
>> >However, I've not done a shoulder like this before. I usually do
>> >boneless pork butts. I have a feeling that I should remove the skin
>> >and treat it like a butt. But, before I start I'd like some input
>> >from the group.
>> >
>> >So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to treat this.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Calvin

>> I make what is called pork picnic around here quite a lot, usually a
>> couple of 10-14 pounders. All I do is cross cut the skin into about 2
>> inch squares not going through all the fat, put it on the offset at
>> 225-250 and smoke it heavy with hickory for the first 4-5 hours. Then
>> just let it cook until it hits 190 or so. I consider it done when the
>> bone is easily turned in the meat, regardless of the temp reading.
>> When it comes to the various shoulder cuts, it seems that pork is
>> pork, and all cooks about the same.

>Sounds like a plan. It works for me just like that every time Mike.
>I would encourage you though to compare the recoverable meat
>weight with the original weight the next time you cook a couple
>of picnics. I think you will find that a more economical cut is the
>butt. There is just too much loss with picnics compared to the
>price paid. Even with butts, the loss is around 40% so you need
>to keep that in mind. The per pound price on the plate can get
>up there real quick.

I'll do that next time I make a couple. I'd have to check prices this
year to see how much cheaper the picnics are vs. other cuts. The wife
usually buys them and say they are significantly cheaper, but even if
they turn out to be 30% cheaper and I am losing 40% of the product, I
still come out at a loss. I appreciate the suggestion.