Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] hrbrickerNOSPAM@verizon.net is offline

Default Brinkman single stack smoker

On 21-Mar-2012, "monroe, of course" > wrote:

> tutall > wrote:
> >
> > Acktually, some folk like to dispense with the pan altogether and BBQ
> > on their WSM straight up like that.

> Methinks TFM is in that camp.
>
> > Now, those folks are pretty good fire tenders and don't mind the extra
> > work entailed. They swear it makes a better product, and I beleive
> > them.
> >
> > However, if you want to have that direct radiant heat buffer, the
> > majority of people here put sand in their pants, I mean, pan, (well,
> > except Brick, he's in FL and kinda wierd that way ) and cover the sand
> > up with alu foil.

> I thot Brick was weird cuz he used an offset! ;D
> NBBDs-n-such need other-type mods for their p'rticklar temp funkynesses.
> I just use a "foil wad disk" for a deflector now. If I need more
> drip-proofing I put a 12" round cake tin on top of that.
> The 'water in the pan makes the meat moister' is pretty much an abject
> myth. Gives me the funnies when prominent chefs (even on TV,mind U)
> advise putting beer or applejuice or wine in the drip pan for 'extra
> flavoring'.
>
> monroe(THAT'S alcohol abuse)

Brick does use an offset, but also has a bullet smoker not unlike
the WSM except mine is gas fired. Before the burner rusted out, I
filled the water pan with sand and covered it with foil. If/when I find
a new burner (I lost my link to all kinds of round burners) I'll likely
use wadded foil instead of sand. Don't need no effing heatsink, just
a grease catcher..

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)