Barbecue (alt.food.barbecue) Discuss barbecue and grilling--southern style "low and slow" smoking of ribs, shoulders and briskets, as well as direct heat grilling of everything from burgers to salmon to vegetables.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-03-2012, 12:28 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 62
Default Brinkman single stack smoker

I have a Brinkman rectangular single stack smoker. My SIL has one that is
twice the width, and has a gas burner in it. His BBQ is passable, but has
more of a grilled taste than BBQ'd, and he doesn't spend a lot of time
basting, rubbing, and other things I think BBQ needs. Mostly just get the
meat ready, slap it in there, and come back four hours later.

I have a problem with mine getting it up to any decent temperature and
holding it there. I have read forums that suggest putting in a pan of sand
to hold the heat, etc, etc, etc. I was thinking of taking the burner out of
a Camp Chef and putting it in the bottom to add to the charcoal heat and get
to desired temperature. The burner is about as round as a pie plate, and
looks like the type common to hot water heaters. I could add a metal box
for soaked flavoring woods.

I sense that I am chasing smoke here, and just need to build a decent
arrangement, but it would be nice to cobble something together here in the
meantime that will cook at a decent temperature.

Any suggestions from past experiences?

Steve



  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-03-2012, 12:53 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 294
Default Brinkman single stack smoker

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:28:08 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I have a Brinkman rectangular single stack smoker. My SIL has one that is
twice the width, and has a gas burner in it. His BBQ is passable, but has
more of a grilled taste than BBQ'd, and he doesn't spend a lot of time
basting, rubbing, and other things I think BBQ needs. Mostly just get the
meat ready, slap it in there, and come back four hours later.

I have a problem with mine getting it up to any decent temperature and
holding it there. I have read forums that suggest putting in a pan of sand
to hold the heat, etc, etc, etc. I was thinking of taking the burner out of
a Camp Chef and putting it in the bottom to add to the charcoal heat and get
to desired temperature. The burner is about as round as a pie plate, and
looks like the type common to hot water heaters. I could add a metal box
for soaked flavoring woods.

I sense that I am chasing smoke here, and just need to build a decent
arrangement, but it would be nice to cobble something together here in the
meantime that will cook at a decent temperature.

Any suggestions from past experiences?

Steve

Check the FAQ, there's links to modifications to the Brinkman, i.e.,
using a grill in the firebox, etc. See:

http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm

There's a lot more out there on the subject.

-Zz
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-03-2012, 01:14 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 62
Default Brinkman single stack smoker


"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
...
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:28:08 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I have a Brinkman rectangular single stack smoker. My SIL has one that is
twice the width, and has a gas burner in it. His BBQ is passable, but has
more of a grilled taste than BBQ'd, and he doesn't spend a lot of time
basting, rubbing, and other things I think BBQ needs. Mostly just get the
meat ready, slap it in there, and come back four hours later.

I have a problem with mine getting it up to any decent temperature and
holding it there. I have read forums that suggest putting in a pan of
sand
to hold the heat, etc, etc, etc. I was thinking of taking the burner out
of
a Camp Chef and putting it in the bottom to add to the charcoal heat and
get
to desired temperature. The burner is about as round as a pie plate, and
looks like the type common to hot water heaters. I could add a metal box
for soaked flavoring woods.

I sense that I am chasing smoke here, and just need to build a decent
arrangement, but it would be nice to cobble something together here in the
meantime that will cook at a decent temperature.

Any suggestions from past experiences?

Steve

Check the FAQ, there's links to modifications to the Brinkman, i.e.,
using a grill in the firebox, etc. See:

http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm

There's a lot more out there on the subject.

-Zz


Your article is incredible. In that when I pulled this out after not having
used it in a very long time, I saw many things I wanted to "fix". The wood
handles disintegrated in my hands. Oh, just another little project, I
thought. Then I noticed the big air gap around the lid. Another project.
Then I put it on the concrete, and thought, "Wow, I bet that will leave a
grease stain", so moved it to the sand, where I had to shim with pieces of
wood. Also noticed I was not happy with the way ashes would block the air
holes.

Then there's that thermometer. I got a drill, and drilled a hole through
the top handle, and into the top of the cavity, and inserted a long
thermometer that I previously used for deep frying. Seemed to work pretty
well. Except for the wood handle turning into several pieces.

Stability was questionable during the cook, and I thought I could do
something better and more stable.

Seems like this link has quite a lot of changes that go right along with my
one time use of this after a long hiatus. At least, they are cheap fixes,
and I have the tools.

Thank you for a very informative answer that was spot on. I can see more
use of this cooker after some mods.

Steve


  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-03-2012, 02:19 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 954
Default Brinkman single stack smoker


"Sqwertz" wrote in message
...
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:28:08 -0700, Steve B wrote:

I have a Brinkman rectangular single stack smoker. My SIL has one that
is
twice the width, and has a gas burner in it. His BBQ is passable, but
has
more of a grilled taste than BBQ'd, and he doesn't spend a lot of time
basting, rubbing, and other things I think BBQ needs. Mostly just get
the
meat ready, slap it in there, and come back four hours later.

I have a problem with mine getting it up to any decent temperature and
holding it there. I have read forums that suggest putting in a pan of
sand
to hold the heat, etc, etc, etc. I was thinking of taking the burner out
of
a Camp Chef and putting it in the bottom to add to the charcoal heat and
get
to desired temperature. The burner is about as round as a pie plate, and
looks like the type common to hot water heaters. I could add a metal box
for soaked flavoring woods.


Your SIL is probably doing it right, except maybe he's not putting any
wood in the smoker box (or whatever receptacle comes with it - did
yours not come with one?). You're problem is probably messing with it
too much.

Sand would just lower the temperature.

I sense that I am chasing smoke here, and just need to build a decent
arrangement, but it would be nice to cobble something together here in
the
meantime that will cook at a decent temperature.


Sell it to Kent for cold-smoking. but I suspect it works fine, you
didn't say exactly what was wrong - is the burner not working What
temps are you getting? Are you opening the door too much? Is it a
full size door? Is there a link/picture of the smoker you're using?

-sw


Baby, this has nothing to do with cold smoking.

Sand doesn't lower the temp. It slows the rate of the rising temp. It
doesn't create a stable temp as water does.

Kent





  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-03-2012, 12:55 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,302
Default Brinkman single stack smoker

Sqwertz wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:00:20 -0700, Kent wrote:

Water burns off as it simmers. If you keep the volume of water constant, the
ongoing simmer will result in a stable temp.


Total bullshit. Water doesn't do shit in a bullet smoker. Most of
the heat goes around the water pan. No water is going to stop the
amount of heat coming up from under the pan.

Put a 5" pan full of water on an 8" gas burner. Cycle the gas output
from Mark 1 to Mark 5. Keep your arm over he top of the pan. What
happens, Kent?

Where's my gun?

-sw


Why did you say use no water. I thought burning fat is bad. Evaporating
water sucks heat.

Greg


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-03-2012, 01:12 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 62
Default Brinkman single stack smoker





Water burns off as it simmers.


Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Water burns. I guess I learn something new every day.

What btu does it give off in this burning process?

Steve

(anxious to know some new physics information)

Steve


  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-03-2012, 01:39 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,007
Default Brinkman single stack smoker

On Mar 20, 5:36*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:04:44 -0700, Kent wrote:
I really wish I hadn't returned my gas smoker and
purchased the WSM.


You mean that gas smoker you asked us about before you bought it, were
told it would NOT do cold smoking, bought it anyway a year later,
complained constantly after you did, sent for replacement parts,
bitched even more about it, returned it. *Then bought a WSM.

And now you're bitching about all that in reverse now?

Do you see now why we think you're such an idiot and asshole?

-sw


Based on past history, he's too stupid even for that,
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-03-2012, 01:52 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,007
Default Brinkman single stack smoker

On Mar 20, 5:55*pm, gregz wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:00:20 -0700, Kent wrote:


Water burns off as it simmers. If you keep the volume of water constant, the
ongoing simmer will result in a stable temp.


Total bullshit. *Water doesn't do shit in a bullet smoker. *Most of
the heat goes around the water pan. *No water is going to stop the
amount of heat coming up from under the pan.


Put a *5" pan full of water on an 8" gas burner. *Cycle the gas output
from Mark 1 to Mark 5. *Keep your arm over he top of the pan. *What
happens, Kent?


Where's my gun?


-sw


Why did you say use no water. I thought burning fat is bad. Evaporating
water sucks heat.



Acktually, some folk like to dispense with the pan altogether and BBQ
on their WSM straight up like that.
Now, those folks are pretty good fire tenders and don't mind the extra
work entailed. They swear it makes a better product, and I beleive
them.

However, if you want to have that direct radiant heat buffer, the
majority of people here put sand in their pants, I mean, pan, (well,
except Brick, he's in FL and kinda wierd that way ) and cover the sand
up with alu foil.

And in all cases, the general concencus is that water gives the meat
an off flavor, adds too much moisture into the equation and does no
good, your better off with something else as a heat sink. However,
experiment on your own. Shit, I think most of us were told this and
had to find out for ourselves. Not myself of course, I learned the
hard way on my own that water makes the meat seem swampy. I'm stupid
smart like that; doing dumb stuff without asking.


Anyway, I'm told there's some forums on the weber website for WSM
where there's a ton of info on this.


  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-03-2012, 02:36 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,302
Default Brinkman single stack smoker

Sqwertz wrote:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 00:55:01 +0000 (UTC), gregz wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:

Total bullshit. Water doesn't do shit in a bullet smoker. Most of
the heat goes around the water pan. No water is going to stop the
amount of heat coming up from under the pan.


Why did you say use no water. I thought burning fat is bad. Evaporating
water sucks heat.


Did I say not to use water? If not .... Don't Use Water.

I fill my water pan with crumpled foil, then cover that with a flat
sheet of foil, slightly inset to catch the fat. The foil acts as a
heatsink and the fat never burns - it stays liquid. Pour it off, take
the top sheet of foil off, throw it away, and you're good to go again.

-sw


If I ever use my electric brinkman again, I'll try that.

Greg
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-03-2012, 03:59 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 132
Default Brinkman single stack smoker


tutall wrote:

Acktually, some folk like to dispense with the pan altogether and BBQ
on their WSM straight up like that.


Methinks TFM is in that camp.

Now, those folks are pretty good fire tenders and don't mind the extra
work entailed. They swear it makes a better product, and I beleive
them.

However, if you want to have that direct radiant heat buffer, the
majority of people here put sand in their pants, I mean, pan, (well,
except Brick, he's in FL and kinda wierd that way ) and cover the sand
up with alu foil.


I thot Brick was weird cuz he used an offset! ;D
NBBDs-n-such need other-type mods for their p'rticklar temp funkynesses.
I just use a "foil wad disk" for a deflector now. If I need more
drip-proofing I put a 12" round cake tin on top of that.
The 'water in the pan makes the meat moister' is pretty much an abject
myth. Gives me the funnies when prominent chefs (even on TV,mind U)
advise putting beer or applejuice or wine in the drip pan for 'extra
flavoring'.

monroe(THAT'S alcohol abuse)


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-03-2012, 07:56 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,007
Default Brinkman single stack smoker

On Mar 21, 11:48*am, Sqwertz wrote:
I don't think any commercial smokers include a water/humidity system,
but Dave would know better than I.


Why would a commercial cooker ever want more moisture than provided by
100's of pounds of meat cooking all at once?

I don't know if anybody has noticed lately, but wood fire is not
exactly bone dry.



  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-03-2012, 01:53 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 62
Default Brinkman single stack smoker


"tutall" wrote in message
...
On Mar 21, 11:48 am, Sqwertz wrote:
I don't think any commercial smokers include a water/humidity system,
but Dave would know better than I.


Why would a commercial cooker ever want more moisture than provided by
100's of pounds of meat cooking all at once?

I don't know if anybody has noticed lately, but wood fire is not
exactly bone dry.

* * * *

I'm still waiting on that answer burning water ..............

Steve



  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-03-2012, 05:14 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 353
Default Brinkman single stack smoker


On 21-Mar-2012, "monroe, of course" wrote:

tutall wrote:

Acktually, some folk like to dispense with the pan altogether and BBQ
on their WSM straight up like that.


Methinks TFM is in that camp.

Now, those folks are pretty good fire tenders and don't mind the extra
work entailed. They swear it makes a better product, and I beleive
them.

However, if you want to have that direct radiant heat buffer, the
majority of people here put sand in their pants, I mean, pan, (well,
except Brick, he's in FL and kinda wierd that way ) and cover the sand
up with alu foil.


I thot Brick was weird cuz he used an offset! ;D
NBBDs-n-such need other-type mods for their p'rticklar temp funkynesses.
I just use a "foil wad disk" for a deflector now. If I need more
drip-proofing I put a 12" round cake tin on top of that.
The 'water in the pan makes the meat moister' is pretty much an abject
myth. Gives me the funnies when prominent chefs (even on TV,mind U)
advise putting beer or applejuice or wine in the drip pan for 'extra
flavoring'.

monroe(THAT'S alcohol abuse)


Brick does use an offset, but also has a bullet smoker not unlike
the WSM except mine is gas fired. Before the burner rusted out, I
filled the water pan with sand and covered it with foil. If/when I find
a new burner (I lost my link to all kinds of round burners) I'll likely
use wadded foil instead of sand. Don't need no effing heatsink, just
a grease catcher..

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-03-2012, 05:28 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 353
Default Brinkman single stack smoker


On 20-Mar-2012, "Steve B" wrote:

Water burns off as it simmers.


Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Water burns. I guess I learn something new every day.

What btu does it give off in this burning process?

Steve

(anxious to know some new physics information)

Steve


You want to see water burn, just dump some on burning
magnesium. Spectacular.

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ever heard of stack pie? ImStillMags General Cooking 1 06-07-2013 06:01 PM
Brinkman Vertical Smoker Steve B[_12_] General Cooking 27 24-10-2010 05:13 PM
Turkey for 15 in a Brinkman smoker [email protected] Barbecue 2 17-11-2006 04:13 AM
Placing brisket in a Brinkman smoker. ceed Barbecue 22 25-06-2005 11:43 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017